LSU Postgamer | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

LSU Postgamer

A few thoughts
-the biggest takeaway for me was Judah’s increased maturity. He dropped 33 but all of his shots were ones we’d want him to take. He looked for his teammates and frequently got them in a position to score. He dove on the court to save a possession early in the first half. With only one exception, he didn’t complain to the refs and got back on defense. It started with his unselfishness against Charminade, and he really seems to be getting it. In my opinion, his best game on the hill.
-I like the way Red is substituting guys out for mental mistakes or bad decisions but not for missing open shots. Keeps guys focused and unselfish, but doesn’t have them looking over their shoulder.
-JJ had his worst game of the year last night. He has to take care of the ball or else Quadir should get some of his minutes. Right now they basically are doing the same thing although JJ is a far better defender. I think he comes back with a better game on Saturday.
-we all know his limitations, but McLeod has proven to be useful. I think he gives it everything he can, and if he can dunk, block shots, and get rebounds, that’s all we can ask for. His free throws have looked solid surprisingly. Feels like Red has a pretty good handle on when he needs to come out and get a rest.
-obviously rebounding is an issue, but Benny doesn’t seem interested in helping in that regard. He just stands there and fails to put a body on anyone and misses more rebounds than anyone with his athleticism and size should. I wish he could be more of a factor on the offensive boards as well. But he seems content lurking around the perimeter looking for his shot.
-Taylor didn’t shoot as well as he can, and made a couple of careless turnovers late but all around he played a good game with his rebounding and assists. He also did a nice job covering a guy who clearly was bigger and stronger.
-whoever that analyst was was excellent. Very candid and called guys out.
-felt like this game was a continuation of some of the good things we saw the team do in Hawaii, and it feels like that competition was helpful. The man-to-man defense was very good at times last night. Will be interesting to see how we do against a solid, but not spectacular Virginia team on the road on Saturday. But it was really encouraging to beat LSU so easily.

Last edited:
from the opening tip, Mc "so tall his head is in the cloud" was causing LSU a ton of problems on both ends. when he sat, LSU went on a run (for them..i know..their runs were weak) but we went quite a while without scoring a FG. I can't quite put my finger on it..but somehow him just being in the game opens things up on offense and tightens things on defense, even if he himself seems like he's not doing much.
I agree. He is a presence on the floor. We need to try both bigs at once.

Draft Notes​

Chance Westry is a big combo guard with great ball handling, creativity, and a deep bag. He can play off the ball as needed and is a versatile player but is at his best breaking down the defense with the ball in his hands.

He’s great at penetrating the lane, collapsing the defense, and dishing to teammates. He’s got special passing ability, quick, on point and perfectly timed.

Chance plays with a ton of confidence and seems to know he’s the man on the court. He’s a big shot-maker and a leader in the clutch. His shooting form is solid and he’s got a soft touch. And he has all the makings of a future NBA range 3pt threat.

He has very quick hands-on defense and is a pickpocket, getting a lot of on-the-ball steals. And he’s got the size to guard the 2 and some 3 as well.

He’s not the most explosive player and has more of a below-the-rim game (although he’s made big strides since his freshman season).

An evaluation coming out of high school.

Chance Westry - NBA Draft Room
Now do Benny and JJ.

I’m not believing a word of these until he does it on the court, it’s going to be almost two years when he comes back that he was playing basketball regularly.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but UVa only has one guy who can get rebounds, and they don't seem to have a lot of offense, even by usual UVa standards.
Ryan Dunn could very well be a menace defensively. The guy is a walking block and steal machine. Judah better have his A game if Dunn is the secondary defender.

The team is starting to give me a bit of confidence they are learning and building from game to game...both the team and Red. As many pointed out, the thrashing we took in Maui was expected but seems to have helped as a teaching point. There will definitely be speed bumps in the road ahead but shout out to Red and all the coaches for the improvement to date.

Yes, LSU was spectacularly bad in the 2nd half. This was still progress. We need to get Starling sorted out ASAP. The athleticism is there, the ability to penetrate is there but it is not translating to consistent offense. If he can find his place we can become a pretty good offense
jj starling's shot coming back could really help this team get better

right now teams dont have to respect him shooting...and he can still get going on drives...if they had to play him close, it would be deadly...

Agree -- the ball movement was excellent tonight. There was one possession in particular that must have had 5-6 passes and ended with a Taylor three in the corner in front of SU bench. In general, the team was pretty unselfish, except for the one drive by JJ in first half when he should have dished it to an open Mintz on his left. There was a play late in the game where Mintz passed on what looked like an open three to try to get Benny involved -- Benny took a three instead (missed that one but hit the next one).
clearly obvious that they were trying to get benny looks late in the game...which I liked.

why not try to get him going...and it shows that they were being intentional and that his teammates have his back. which is a big positive, imo.

pretty sure thats why he was forcing it...it was intentional. not the same as being selfish in a tight game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom