"Major Announcement" tomorrow | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

"Major Announcement" tomorrow

But where is the critical tip of the cap to the Space Needle on those?

The Space Needle is in the city where UW is located. To make it the equivalent of SU's nod to NYC skyscrapers they'd have to make the numbers resemble the mascots of the Vancouver Olympics.

2010_miga.jpg

"If a quality athlete is drawn to the university simply because we wear "hip," Oregon-style, low-brow, low-class, hard-to-read uniforms, we don't want him!"

Nope, totally don't want Oregon-style athletes.
you might be referring to 80% of h.s. student athletes and 90% of the current SU football team

You think this was a bad look?

9159172-large.jpg
Not a bad look. Just a old look. that uniform makes me feel like we are trying to hold on to the 90's era. The current players respect what they did in the past but now they are trying to set their own look and mark on SU football. Im all for it. Just win baby

Yeah why would we want to hold onto an era where we won conference titles and appeared in BCS games...crazy ideas.

If we had avenues like this oh so many years ago... I can't believe we're getting away from these leather helmets with no facemasks!! Those new fan dangled things are ridiculous. This university does nothing right. They took the numbers off the side of the helmet!! White pants??? White god damn pants??? We look stupid! (Spectator at dome opener vs Miami of ohio) Why is Green and Young and the rest of the defense wearing their jerseys so short and showing their bellies? It's so disrespectful to our history. (I really do wish that I could go back and hear these conversations when the Maloney era went with the white helmets with the SU logo on the side. I remember them, but was a young kid at the time, so I don't remember if there was backlash.)

Last edited:
Not a bad look. Just a old look. that uniform makes me feel like we are trying to hold on to the 90's era. The current players respect what they did in the past but now they are trying to set their own look and mark on SU football. Im all for it. Just win baby

What's wrong with the 90s?!

C29B5294768A22B536F62971D326AD.jpg

Yeah why would we want to hold onto an era where we won conference titles and appeared in BCS games...crazy ideas.
So we are gonna win titles because of wearing old uniforms that teams wore in the past? wow. The players didnt like the uniforms. People are stubborn on this site

Last edited:
Well we aren't going to win titles because our numbers have 44 degree angle stripes. Selfishly I'd like SU to focus more on getting the IPF built, adding staff to the recruiting area, and paying coaches competitive salaries to keep them in town. I don't want them blowing money on ridiculous crap as has been the case.

Let's give HCSS the resources to be successful- if it's alternate uniforms fine. Just do it a way that really capitalizes on the impact. If you notice, football uses the NFL success of players to market/recruit the program, so why is wearing a look that is similar to what McNabb/Harrison/Freeney/A. and C. Jones being stubborn and not letting go of the past? I'd love to hear why it's wrong to maintain some ties to a tradition of success over something that will be forgotten in the next 5 years.

If we had avenues like this oh so many years ago... I can't believe we're getting away from these leather helmets with no facemasks!! Those new fan dangled things are ridiculous. This university does nothing right. They took the numbers off the side of the helmet!! White pants??? White god damn pants??? We look stupid! (Spectator at dome opener vs Miami of ohio) Why is Green and Young and the rest of the defense wearing their jerseys so short and showing their bellies? It's so disrespectful to our history. (I really do wish that I could go back and hear these conversations when the Maloney era went with the white helmets with the SU logo on the side. I remember them, but was a young kid at the time, so I don't remember if there was backlash.)
So true

Well we aren't going to win titles because our numbers have 44 degree angle stripes. Selfishly I'd like SU to focus more on getting the IPF built, adding staff to the recruiting area, and paying coaches competitive salaries to keep them in town. I don't want them blowing money on ridiculous crap as has been the case.

Let's give HCSS the resources to be successful- if it's alternate uniforms fine. Just do it a way that really capitalizes on the impact. If you notice, football uses the NFL success of players to market/recruit the program, so why is wearing a look that is similar to what McNabb/Harrison/Freeney/A. and C. Jones being stubborn and not letting go of the past? I'd love to hear why it's wrong to maintain some ties to a tradition of success over something that will be forgotten in the next 5 years.
If getting new modern uniforms part of making Shafer the most successful coach he can be, then it must be done. of course its not the most important thing he needs but its part of what he needs. Thats why he kept mentioning it since he got the gig. Nw uniform do have ties to the tradition. They have the 44 on the jersey now, they went back to the blue face masks, they have the block S. Now lets let the current players set their tradition. Jim Brown and Ernie Davis didn't ask McNabb and them to wear big jerseys, have numbers on their helmets with one bar, etc..

Good stuff. Its called modernization. things change. When was the last time you saw a player with a neck roll? All i saw was players wearing them throughout the 80's and 90"s. Now you don't see them at all. Kids don't really wear rib cages now. They wear back plates. No big jerseys anymore. Players these days want to be fast and play fast, they want light equipment and tight jerseys that you cant pull. Helmets are totally different now and uniforms are too. I am a tradition guy myself, but its important to let the next generation add their piece.

You guys do know that advances in equipment have nothing to do with jersey design, right?

Scooch said:
You guys do know that advances in equipment have nothing to do with jersey design, right?

Geez, ya know I didn't. ;)

Number on the side of helmet at Alabama lived through advances.

It took a team at Nike 18 months to come up with these. You'd think that somewhere along the line someone at Manley would have said "not so fast".

While I'm less than thrilled with what I've seen so far, the two things that should've been raised by the adults at Manley are:
  1. the numeral font... the font should've been vetoed
  2. The de-emphasis of Orange
Hopefully Floyd, or another former player, will have a chat with the "uniform selection committee" to remind them of tradition. Terrel may mention that tradition was part of the designs, but that's not too obvious in what I've observed. I'm hoping to see a fair amount of Orange helmet and pant combinations.

Last edited:
I really don't see all the histrionics over this...I think they look pretty good. Let's see them on TV and in person before damning them.

You want tradition? We can always go back nearly a decade and bring these beauties back.

Meldrum.jpg

I really don't see all the histrionics over this...I think they look pretty good. Let's see them on TV and in person before damning them.

You want tradition? We can always go back nearly a decade and bring these beauties back.

Meldrum.jpg

wait aren't those all orange? maybe there is a reason we don't go back to all orange, and that infamous picture above could just be that.

Meldrum.jpg
This pic sums up the grob years in a nutshell.

wait aren't those all orange? maybe there is a reason we don't go back to all orange, and that infamous picture above could just be that.

But all the fans are clamoring for orange jerseys.

lummgr said:
Geez, ya know I didn't. ;) Number on the side of helmet at Alabama lived through advances.

Alabama.

Meldrum.jpg
Those guys look like they had the unlimited snack program back in the day.

But all the fans are clamoring for orange jerseys.
If you are going to continue being apassive aggressive doofus congrats. Nobody has ever said all the fans want an orange top it's a 50/50 issue stop this crap. My god I can't take these posts I swear they add NOTHING but arrogance. We had orange tops in 2003 and 2004 that were decent. I and others would like more orange in our football jerseys my god if you don 't care about orange tops fine but your posts are so over top and annoying.

The GRob era uniforms sucked every year. However, that shade of orange was putrid. If we used the orange we used in 2003 and 2004 they could have worked. Apparently we are going to have a 4th top in our new uniforms but Nike didn't produce it yet.

Alsacs said:
If you are going to continue being apassive aggressive doofus congrats. Nobody has ever said all the fans want an orange top it's a 50/50 issue stop this crap. My god I can't take these posts I swear they add NOTHING but arrogance. We had orange tops in 2003 and 2004 that were decent. I and others would like more orange in our football jerseys my god if you don 't care about orange tops fine but your posts are so over top and annoying.

That kettle is black.

:)

That kettle is black.

:)
I am thinking this a joke.
I know I can be annoying and give strong opinions others disagree with, but I never claim I speak for everyone. The statement I responded to was taking a shot at people who want an orange top. I am among those who want an orange, but I have never said everyone wants it which was the doofus comment I was responding too. I many not be popular, but I don't make those kinda statements Scooch.

The gray was $33.95 and the orange was $29.95.
Just got the shirts in. The gray one is a dry fit shirt just perfect for working out. The orange one is cotton blend and looks absolutely fantastic close up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom