Malachi Today | Syracusefan.com

Malachi Today

NYCorange

2nd String
Tough game, but Mal had a truly great game today. He's probably our second best player already. He moves the ball, visibly tries hard at all aspects of the game including D and rebounding, and most importantly is a shot maker. I know that some on this board have been questioning his shot selection--and there's some reason for that. But his confidence is what makes him take those shots; and for the most part they are very makeable, if not always the best. His confidence and competativness makes me excited for the future. He's a top class player; we will have at last one spot in our rotation locked up with confidence until he leaves--hopefully in 4 years.

NYCorange said:
Tough game, but Mal had a truly great game today. He's probably our second best player already. He moves the ball, visibly tries hard at all aspects of the game including D and rebounding, and most importantly is a shot maker. I know that some on this board have been questioning his shot selection--and there's some reason for that. But his confidence is what makes him take those shots; and for the most part they are very makeable, if not always the best. His confidence and competativness makes me excited for the future. He's a top class player; we will have at last one spot in our rotation locked up with confidence until he leaves--hopefully in 4 years.
It was great to see. You can see he wants to takeover games. Need a dude or two like that

He is an immense and versatile offensive talent, perhaps the best to come through here since Carmelo. He might have had 30 today if he had been able to finish better at the rim. He will almost certainly be NBA-bound after next season.

I have no complaints with him. Figured it was a matter of time before the 3's started falling again, and he can get to hoop and finish. From HS reports, I'm pleasantly surprised at how hard he plays...the reports made it sound like he was kind've soft and lazy and I don't see that.

My only issue is when he goes Senior year Kris Joseph with the dribbling in place exhibitions instead of going somewhere with his dribbles.

maybe after this season if he has more games like today

We worried about Lydon being one-and-done after game five and now Richardson because he shot over 20% from 3 for the first time in a month.

Sign me up for more games like yesterday no matter what the future consequences.

We worried about Lydon being one-and-done after game five and now Richardson because he shot over 20% from 3 for the first time in a month.

Sign me up for more games like yesterday no matter what the future consequences.
I agree with you whole-heartedly but guess what's? In this stupid basketball world of today,it only takes a performance or 2 like this to send a kid off. It makes me sick.

I couldn't believe Hop took out Mali after he had that hot stretch, although I was happy to see him at the 2.

Mali is by far our 2nd best offensive weapon -- hopefully this will open things up for Trev

I love Malachi and have been saying his shooting will come around, but I am not sure what you saw yesterday that differentiates him as a potential pro from what you've been seeing all season. He was 5 of 6 from three. That was fantastic, but he was 2 of 9 from inside the arc and only drew one foul that led to free throws. He has had better performances getting to the hoop and scoring or getting fouled than he did yesterday.

I loved that his 3 started dropping yesterday, but that is the only thing that I saw different. This is not a criticism of MR because I think he is going to be spectacular. I just hear a lot of hyperbole and am wondering what did you actually see that looked different to you, aside from the 5 made 3s, because I've though his outside shot looked good all along, it just wasn't dropping for him??

I couldn't believe Hop took out Mali after he had that hot stretch, although I was happy to see him at the 2.

Mali is by far our 2nd best offensive weapon -- hopefully this will open things up for Trev
That sub out was inexplicable

I love Malachi and have been saying his shooting will come around, but I am not sure what you saw yesterday that differentiates him as a potential pro from what you've been seeing all season. He was 5 of 6 from three. That was fantastic, but he was 2 of 9 from inside the arc and only drew one foul that led to free throws. He has had better performances getting to the hoop and scoring or getting fouled than he did yesterday.

I loved that his 3 started dropping yesterday, but that is the only thing that I saw different. This is not a criticism of MR because I think he is going to be spectacular. I just hear a lot of hyperbole and am wondering what did you actually see that looked different to you, aside from the 5 made 3s, because I've though his outside shot looked good all along, it just wasn't dropping for him??

What I saw was spectacular. He just might have the best body control of any Cuse player I have ever seen. It is disingenuous to say that he only drew one foul that led to free throws. It is not his fault that not enough fouls were called on Miami to send us to the line. Devo had a lightning quick step and could go straight to the hoop. Triche was strong like a bull and could go straight to the hoop and take contact. Melo was both quick and strong. The Pearl had a magical handle. What separates Malachi is his body control. It is a thing of beauty. He can shake off any defender. Lots of players use the dribble to probe and get nowhere. When Malachi probes he always creates his own seam. His deceptive use of his head and shoulders and body makes him impossible to guard.

I was just an average player but I was quick and good on defense, although not very big. I often went against D-1 starting guards in rec. ball but when I watch Malachi I think that I would simply refuse to even try to go up against him. He would be impossible to stay in front of, not even worth trying. It would be pure embarrassment. there was no one on the court yesterday that could do what Malachi did.

That is what I saw. If you did not appreciate it, you missed a thing of beauty. With a bit more strength and experience his percentages will increase. Enjoy it while you can. He will not be here more than two years, if that. He is much better than expected. Maybe he was bored in high school?

What I saw was spectacular. He just might have the best body control of any Cuse player I have ever seen. It is disingenuous to say that he only drew one foul that led to free throws. It is not his fault that not enough fouls were called on Miami to send us to the line. Devo had a lightning quick step and could go straight to the hoop. Triche was strong like a bull and could go straight to the hoop and take contact. Melo was both quick and strong. The Pearl had a magical handle. What separates Malachi is his body control. It is a thing of beauty. He can shake off any defender. Lots of players use the dribble to probe and get nowhere. When Malachi probes he always creates his own seam. His deceptive use of his head and shoulders and body makes him impossible to guard.

I was just an average player but I was quick and good on defense, although not very big. I often went against D-1 starting guards in rec. ball but when I watch Malachi I think that I would simply refuse to even try to go up against him. He would be impossible to stay in front of, not even worth trying. It would be pure embarrassment. there was no one on the court yesterday that could do what Malachi did.

That is what I saw. If you did not appreciate it, you missed a thing of beauty. With a bit more strength and experience his percentages will increase. Enjoy it while you can. He will not be here more than two years, if that. He is much better than expected. Maybe he was bored in high school?
Well done. Your "Ode to Malachi" has moved me deeply.

I think Mal looked great on defense at the top of the zone. I look forward to seeing him up top more often next season because I think he could be very disruptive at the top of the 2-3.

Why is it we were told earlier this week (by an unnamed poster) that Mali was the worst shooter to ever come to Syracuse?

Why is it we were told earlier this week (by an unnamed poster) that Mali was the worst shooter to ever come to Syracuse?
another poster, earlier in the season, proclaimed that Mali has an ugly release

If Mal ever goes pro without leading us to a season worth remembering, then he'll win the Donte Greene premature excitement award, currently held by Chris McCullough.

I agree with you, sort of, because I've thought Malachi has been really good all along, and yeah, the only difference yesterday was that he made some more of his deep shots.

Yeah...sometimes I feel like I'm watching different games.

I also remember reading that he should be ordered to stop shooting threes or that his number of attempts should be capped or some such nonsense.

What a difference one good shooting game makes in the minds of our experts!
BTW, before the Miami game, Trevor Cooney was on an extended run of shooting 50% from three.

Regarding Malachi's draft stock, I think that it might be a case where he either leaves this year, or stays all 4. He's very old for a freshman--he'll be 20 tomorrow (happy birthday Mal!)-- and is getting toward that age where the rate of improvement has to be ridiculously (and unrealistically) fast in order to offset his increasing age. It doesn't help that he's not unbelievably athletic. I think Mal could easily have a good NBA career. I could see him as a poor man's Klay Thompson or Jimmy Butler. He's a nice sized 3 and D wing.

What I saw was spectacular. What separates Malachi is his body control. It is a thing of beauty. He can shake off any defender. Lots of players use the dribble to probe and get nowhere. When Malachi probes he always creates his own seam. His deceptive use of his head and shoulders and body makes him impossible to guard.

His ability to get himself into open space, pull up square to the basket and on balance to get his shot off is uncanny. He reminds me of Raf Addison in that regard, you expect every shot to go in.

Well that has to be BS because everybody knows that Cooney is the worst shooter to ever come to Syracuse. He took over the title from Southerland, who took it over from GMac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom