Malachi's 4-point Play | Syracusefan.com

Malachi's 4-point Play

Dave85

Living Legend
I've already posted this idea but I just want to hear other people's thoughts. Over the last few games I've think we've seen Malachi bring his game to whole new level. I'm not sure he's done improving. It seems each game he's getting more and more comfortable playing at that the D1 CBB level. Every game I keep thinking he's more and more becoming someone we can say is a "go-to guy" at the end of the game. His poise and maturity is beginning to remind me of Carmelo in a lot of ways. And even then with my memory barely working Malachi may actually seem to be a little better than Carmelo at this point in the season dare I say. He's definitely shook off all the freshmen-itus. And most of all I think his hair (which is awesome) helps on defense in my opinion. If he keeps improving every game I'm not sure what I am going to think. All thoughts on Malachi welcome. I really like this kid! I may have to change my avatar photo.

One, it was a great shot. Two, I didn't see a foul. Three, I'm pretty sure Mal flopped to get the call. Four, if I'm right, Mal is a very, very savvy freshman. Five, can we get 5 more like him in the next couple years?

I've already posted this idea but I just want to hear other people's thoughts. Over the last few games I've think we've seen Malachi bring his game to whole new level. I'm not sure he's done improving. It seems each game he's getting more and more comfortable playing at that the D1 CBB level. Every game I keep thinking he's more and more becoming someone we can say is a "go-to guy" at the end of the game. His poise and maturity is beginning to remind me of Carmelo in a lot of ways. And even then with my memory barely working Malachi may actually seem to be a little better than Carmelo at this point in the season dare I say. He's definitely shook off all the freshmen-itus. And most of all I think his hair (which is awesome) helps on defense in my opinion. If he keeps improving every game I'm not sure what I am going to think. All thoughts on Malachi welcome. I really like this kid! I may have to change my avatar photo.
Melo averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds per game as a frosh. Also 2.2 assists, 1.6 steals and 0.9 blocks.

Malachi is averaging 13.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.0 steals and 0.3 blocks.

Melo has Mali in 2 pt FG percentage 49.2 to 38.5. The only place Mali has an advantage is on 3 pt shooting percentage, where he is a little better at 36.2%.

So in terms of stats, Melo > Mali.

Is Mali's hair better than Melo's? It depends on your love for cornrows.

No question, Mali's hair helps his defense. We can all agree on that. It is quite intimidating and results in a few blocked shots and many deflections in the passing lanes.

Seriously, Mali isn't close to as good as Melo was but that doesn't mean Mali has playing poorly. He is having a terrific frosh season and is going to be considered for AA honors next year.

At the least, he should be strongly considered for preseason All ACC honors. He has been terrific and the best part is that as the season progresses, he seems to be getting better. That rarely happens with freshmen.

He's been watching video of how dookies flop.

Let's hope JB did not learn any lessons on post-game histrionics from Coach K! "Amazing!'

Melo averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds per game as a frosh. Also 2.2 assists, 1.6 steals and 0.9 blocks.

Malachi is averaging 13.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.0 steals and 0.3 blocks.

Melo has Mali in 2 pt FG percentage 49.2 to 38.5. The only place Mali has an advantage is on 3 pt shooting percentage, where he is a little better at 36.2%.

So in terms of stats, Melo > Mali.

Is Mali's hair better than Melo's? It depends on your love for cornrows.

No question, Mali's hair helps his defense. We can all agree on that. It is quite intimidating and results in a few blocked shots and many deflections in the passing lanes.

Seriously, Mali isn't close to as good as Melo was but that doesn't mean Mali has playing poorly. He is having a terrific frosh season and is going to be considered for AA honors next year.

At the least, he should be strongly considered for preseason All ACC honors. He has been terrific and the best part is that as the season progresses, he seems to be getting better. That rarely happens with freshmen.

I love this post.

What I like is he rarely seems to force stuff. When he gets on a roll he can sometimes get trigger happy, but for the most part he gets his in the flow of the O. I also like that he seems to respond when challenged. He has some tough in him on O. His D...well he isn't getting PT because he is 1st team All Defense.

CuseFaninVT said:
One, it was a great shot. Two, I didn't see a foul. Three, I'm pretty sure Mal flopped to get the call. Four, if I'm right, Mal is a very, very savvy freshman. Five, can we get 5 more like him in the next couple years?

On the replay I didn't think it was a foul either but I'll sure take it!

He's really maturing offensively. Inside he's got good springs but he gets beat on the baseline and struggles to defend bigger players and establish rebounding position (he lost out on more than a few rb's to Colson). Next year I'd like to see him more at the 2. But you're right ... he's playing at a mature level and making good decisions out there. His ability to get to the rim really helps make up for our lack of inside scoring .. and I noticed last night he's getting some space from defenders.

His poise and maturity is beginning to remind me of Carmelo in a lot of ways. And even then with my memory barely working Malachi may actually seem to be a little better than Carmelo at this point in the season dare I say.
359z4tu.jpg

He gone!!! Umm, just kidding, I don't think so. Anyways I'm not a look at next year's scenario kind of guy but I can see Mali having an unbelievable season next year. I'm still not convinced what positions these guys are going to play but Mali will be playing 38 minutes a game during league play and Lydon 35. Considering I had fairly low expectations on these guys, it's been great watching them bloom.

Mal will be at the two next year at the top of the zone with Battle/Howard. Lydon and Roberson, with Moyer backing up at the forwards. Coleman, Paschal and ???? at center. Nobody else plays period, except for mop up.

Carmelo Anthony is (was) better than all you people think he is. Jim Boeheim's quote at the now defunct DC sports night in 2002.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

In my SU ball lifetime (mid,70's) I believe the 3 best players to play at SU are:

DC
Carmelo
Billy O.

I don't think #2 is close to #1.

Last edited:

I haven't read all the replies yet, but I assume you are getting roasted about the Carmelo comment. Let me add to that. Go back and watch some of Carmelo's play for Syracuse. Any game will do. He was transcendent. Simply unstoppable in any way on offense. He made the game look absolutely effortless in a way that almost nobody can do.

As to Mali - he is a stellar talent and I desperately hope he returns. He's far better of a player than several we have had leave early and several who have not left early but been drafted. I don't think his offensive game has improved dramatically from the Bahamas. Where I have seen him grow is in toughness. He has been learned how to be tough and relentless when going for rebounds and loose balls, etc. He really was smacked in the mouth (figuratively) in that aspect during the extreme early season and now I see him fighting and winning those physical/effort battles.

He's really maturing offensively. Inside he's got good springs but he gets beat on the baseline and struggles to defend bigger players and establish rebounding position (he lost out on more than a few rb's to Colson). Next year I'd like to see him more at the 2. But you're right ... he's playing at a mature level and making good decisions out there. His ability to get to the rim really helps make up for our lack of inside scoring .. and I noticed last night he's getting some space from defenders.

Best post on the thread.

Melo averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds per game as a frosh. Also 2.2 assists, 1.6 steals and 0.9 blocks. Malachi is averaging 13.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.0 steals and 0.3 blocks.

If only we had a real PG like GMAC I wonder what Malachi's numbers would be. Probably a little better. I agree with the Carmelo comparison being a stretch. But that was also a much better team all around. I just like the way Malachi has been not playing like a freshmen. It doesn't happen very often.

Carmelo was a man among boys in college. He was unstoppable.

Malachi is a nice player but it's not close...
Very true Another thing about armlet was his consistency leve at Syracuse. BTW, an aside on Trevor. He demonstrated once again how his catch step and shoot is his best move at downing his 3. D has to learn that putting the ball on the court i.e. dribbling is a low % play for him. For every time he moves and scores ,he gives up three TOs. I would love to see an early blowout to put Howard in there so he can forget about making a mistake and being pulled Just Howard,not Kaleb. Kaleb is a lost sole on the court He should try walking on to lacrosse or football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom