Mali on going Pro, thoughts about Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mali on going Pro, thoughts about Cuse

Playing in front of big crowds and a national tv audience is completely irrelevant to a players development. It's just something that college fans convince themselves should matter to college players.

And while they're in the D league, they can still play, only they play more, have no practice restrictions, have no class, AND they get paid.

Why shouldn't it matter?

College can be some of the most fun years of anyone's life. Certainly, that experience is amplified if you are an athlete playing for a high major program.

In terms of player development, what about handling the pressure of playing in nationally televised single elimination games,to say nothing of the personal growth that stems from being a team leader / THE MAN on a squad. Those are experiences that can't be replicated. When we see Carmelo, Greene, and others express regret about leaving so early, it speaks volumes. The money is highly compelling. The EXPERIENCE of staying in college is great for different reasons.

Players are free to choose whichever path works best for them.

Last edited:
Any real data or facts to back up that theory?

No that's why its a theory. Or a hypothesis if you prefer. But we see teams using the D league more and more for what it was intended to be. Tyler Ennis, after you and others joyously cited his stints in the Dleague as PROOF that he made the wrong move, actually had a solid year.

What if we reverse it? You think a first round draft pick going to the D league is a disaster. You extol the glories of playing on a top 10 team, in front of 30k people for nothing. What data do you have that show that's the better option?

Playing in front of big crowds and a national tv audience is completely irrelevant to a players development. It's just something that college fans convince themselves should matter to college players.

And while they're in the D league, they can still play, only they play more, have no practice restrictions, have no class, AND they get paid.
of course it is.

its for their psyche and exposure which in turn will help them move up in the draft.

not to mention the fun that rf spoke of.

talent is talent.

this is what micro thinkers think, when trying to convince themselves why someone whos not ready left early.

Why shouldn't it matter?

College can be some of the most fun years of anyone's life. Certainly, that experience is amplified if you are an athlete playing for a high major program. Those are experiences that can't be replicated. When we see Carmelo, Greene, and others express regret about leaving so early, it speaks volumes. The money is highly compelling. The EXPERIENCE of staying in college is great for different reasons.

Look I won't judge Mali just like I won't judge a kid like Rabb or Thomas Bryant.

But it grinds my gears when people critcise a kids choices who they never met from behind a computer screen.

of course it is.

its for their psyche and exposure which in turn will help them move up in the draft.

not to mention the fun that rf spoke of.

talent is talent.

this is what micro thinkers think, when trying to convince themselves why someone whos not ready left early.

I hope this made more sense in your head before you typed it.

No that's why its a theory. Or a hypothesis if you prefer. But we see teams using the D league more and more for what it was intended to be. Tyler Ennis, after you and others joyously cited his stints in the Dleague as PROOF that he made the wrong move, actually had a solid year.

What if we reverse it? You think a first round draft pick going to the D league is a disaster. You extol the glories of playing on a top 10 team, in front of 30k people for nothing. What data do you have that show that's the better option?

I have no data that is not anecdotal. At some point, I imagine, some data geek will do real data analytics and some real data mining to find out what the actual data is suggesting is the best path to success in the NBA. I imagine the top 10 picks there's nothing really interesting. But for draft picks 20 and above in the draft rankings there could be an interesting analysis. It's like 3-point shots versus 2-point shots. Until you do the analysis it's not really clear what works best.

You keep posting this and yet not backing it up with any facts.

I hope this made more sense in your head before you typed it.

Not for me. Most of the time I just shooting it right out. Stream of consciousness like. Where the chips land is any ones guess. It's a real junk yard up there. Anything could happen and I'm not sure my self half the time what I am saying. There's a point where you say it and just start typing. Why stop to think about it. Thinking about it is for...I don't know.

Wasn't Mark Cuban leading the charge to revamp the D-League and actually try and make it a more MLB like model?

Not for me. Most of the time I just shooting it right out. Stream of consciousness like. Where the chips land is any ones guess. It's a real junk yard up there. Anything could happen and I'm not sure my self half the time what I am saying. There's a point where you say it and just start typing. Why stop to think about it. Thinking about it is for...I don't know.
If it weren't for the people who never read or edit their stuff before hitting the reply button, I'd probably have about 500 posts.

You keep posting this and yet not backing it up with any facts.
as pointed out many times...we will 1st have to see where he is drafted.

then see if hes in the Dleague and for how long.

then we will know he is playing in front of HS crowds as a forgotten man (or for little time in the bigs shlepping bags) when he could've been the man improving his chances and more $$ up front the following year.

will he be ennis or waiters??

Getting professional support, 24/7, and working within the structure of an NBA team's offense is incredibly important to development.

People here think that if you aren't going to turn into a superstar, you shouldn't go pro early. It's bunk.

I am convinced most people here watch little to no NBA games or pay attention to the league.

I have no data that is not anecdotal. At some point, I imagine, some data geek will do real data analytics and some real data mining to find out what the actual data is suggesting is the best path to success in the NBA. I imagine the top 10 picks there's nothing really interesting. But for draft picks 20 and above in the draft rankings there could be an interesting analysis. It's like 3-point shots versus 2-point shots. Until you do the analysis it's not really clear what works best.
A) there is zero guaranteed path from being a 20+ pick one year to top-10 the next. It doesn't happen enough to be something that is a viable plan. I follow baseball prospects a ton more than basketball. There a ton more baseball players drafted and sent to minor leagues. The number of players drafted top-10 who become bonafide stars far far far far outweighs the number drafted in the entire rest of the draft. There are occasional success stories, but they are few. It's pointless to evaluate it as a pick by pick basis (e.g. no 23 picks have done this ...) and better off evaluating them at tiers based on historical production.

I'd imagine it is very similar to the NBA. Here's my hypothesis that I'll test: The number of all star games played by the top -5 outweigh the rest of the draft combined. Data collected from here. Let's limit it to the 1989 and after since that's when the drafted was limited to two rounds. It could additionally be limited when they removed high school players from the draft, but we'll stick with 1989.

Results. Since 1989, 1,620 players have been drafted. Just 138 players have been drafted and were selected to at least one all star game (8.5%), 47 were selected outside of the lottery picks (34.5%). There have been 471 total all-stars selections. 26 Top 2 draft picks (54 picks total) have played in a combined 130 of those 471 all-star games (27%). Of the 3, 4, and 5 picks, 40 have played in a combined 141 games (30%). 300 Players have been drafted in the top five and 66 have played an AS game (22%). In total 66 players drafted in the top-5 have played 57% of the all-star games. The remainder of the draft is 3,300 players and just 81 made an all-star game (2.5%). Where they played in the remaining 46% of games. Outside of the top-5, just six players really stand out and, by themselves, have played in more than half of those all-star games: Kobe (HS), Garnett (HS), Dirk (foreign), Dwayne Wade, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce.

It's readily apparent that the best way to have an excellent NBA career and get paid a lot of money is to get selected in the Top-5, preferably the Top-2. Had Kobe and Garnett gone to college for one year, IMO they would have been top-5 picks after their freshman years. Other than that, it's real long odds. So, outside of the top-5, it probably doesn't matter too much where you're drafted - there's probably the same low chance to be an All Star regardless of the draft position. 16 versus 28 doesn't mean a whole heckuva lot. Malachi isn't going in the top-5 this year or next year.

as pointed out many times...we will 1st have to see where he is drafted.

then see if hes in the Dleague and for how long.

then we will know he is playing in front of HS crowds as a forgotten man (or for little time in the bigs shlepping bags) when he could've been the man improving his chances and more $$ up front the following year.

will he be ennis or waiters??

Being the man didn't help CJ Fair. In fact it exposed his flaws.

Being the man didn't help CJ Fair. In fact it exposed his flaws.

I don't buy your argument. If Mal returned he would have been sensational the whole year. He probably would have a 20% to 30% stat improvement. He's pretty darn good. I hope he goes first round and his happy with his decision.

it never will. basketball is far more talent driven than baseball, which is a sport that is more based on honing a craft. the d-league stinks because the nba doesn't need it. they don't care.
I am not so sure. The D League has been around for 16 seasons now and it has put 174 players in the NBA, including players like Jeremy Lin, Danny Green, Hassan Whiteside, to name a few. The NBA teams with D-League franchises apparently think the investment is worthwhile or they would close them down.

One and dones are only a step, away from nevers. Each year we see more and more and IMO it is only a matter of time before something changes. These are not scholar athletes and everyone knows it. The only way to fix it is to change the draft and eligibility. Everyone is better off.

I have no idea where you get you idea that baseball is not as talented as the NBA and is just honing a craft.

I don't have time to look it up but has Cuse ever had this many guys in the league at once? Wes, Melo, dion, mcw, Ennis, grant, CMAC? Marginally rak and CJ? Add Mali, battle and Lydon for sure

Great question, so I had to look it up.

orangehoops.org lists 8 Syracuse players appearing in NBA games in 2016. (No C.J.)

Only 1996 and 1997 show more with 9 each though one comes with an asterisk:
Both years - same list: Addison, Coleman, Douglas, Ellis, Manning *, Moten, Owens, Schayes, Seikaly

Look I won't judge Mali just like I won't judge a kid like Rabb or Thomas Bryant.

But it grinds my gears when people critcise a kids choices who they never met from behind a computer screen.

Why they are public figures? some of these kids are spoiled, they have it too good.

Why shouldn't it matter?

College can be some of the most fun years of anyone's life. Certainly, that experience is amplified if you are an athlete playing for a high major program.

In terms of player development, what about handling the pressure of playing in nationally televised single elimination games,to say nothing of the personal growth that stems from being a team leader / THE MAN on a squad. Those are experiences that can't be replicated. When we see Carmelo, Greene, and others express regret about leaving so early, it speaks volumes. The money is highly compelling. The EXPERIENCE of staying in college is great for different reasons.

Yup. Carmelo on not wanting to leave.

Why they are public figures? some of these kids are spoiled, they have it too good.
91sn32Q.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom