Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

This one hurts as much as any transfer portal announcement we have faced. There is no replacing what Maliq Brown brought to this team, a truly unique talent. Hopefully and we probably will replace the production statistically, but there is no one out there that brought what Maliq did to the game.
He was the only guy on this team that “thought” the game as well as play it. The team IQ just exploded in the wrong direction.

Surprised, yes, devastated no, everyone here should know enough to wait until the portal pluses and minuses shakes out to get too flustered. We may bring in three or four guys that are much better, we may not.

We are holding on to the past because the past was truly was exemplified college sports. Playing for the school meant so much to the player and community. Reality is, this is professional basketball. The rarest of rare truly play for the jersey on the front in the NBA (Kobe is the last of that style). It’s just not the same and it’s hard to understand that the players don’t have love for the university like we do and the players used to.
Kobe is not the last. I don't remember Steph Curry ever requesting a trade, nor do I see Jokic ever requesting a trade. There are still a few left out there but they are few and far between

I wish Brown, and all well. Here’s how I really feel though:

We’ve become overly attached to players that aren’t our traditional quality of player. We’ve been mediocre for a decade. Its lowered our expectations.

I hope Red brings in talent that buys into his style and brings some pride back to the orange.

I wish Maliq would stay but I’m not going to be upset. This isn’t CJ Fair.
Respect the take. Very silver lining type take. But man, this is the type of guy that is invaluable to a winning program. He is not going to be replaced easily, this is a huge team loss. On his own, the production numbers can be matched maybe. But, sometimes there’s just more to a player than that. Maliq is a glue guy. He is unselfish. Largest loss of the year so far.

I think all of you guys jumping off the bridge need to take a breath. Maliq leaving hurts and is a big loss. He was/is a nice player. Is he special or irreplaceable? Will he ever play in the NBA?
It's a new, lousy reality. But as we see with NC State, each year we may have all new rosters, or at the very least many new players playing major roles. The new reality sucks compared to watching players develop and mature over a 4 year period.
But before saying you are done as a fan or Cuse is a football school or whatever, let's see where we end up roster wise.

Kobe is not the last. I don't remember Steph Curry ever requesting a trade, nor do I see Jokic ever requesting a trade. There are still a few left out there but they are few and far between
Both players are still playing, don’t be surprised if they wear another jersey in their career.

Imagine Donnie is going to be watching with heightened interest as well. Maliq at 220 wasn’t ideal for the center position. Freeman at 190 will be a nightmare.
If we go into the season with Donnie as our starting C something has gone horribly horribly wrong. We will get a center. I won’t promise it’ll be a good center but there’s no chance Freeman is the starting C unless he gets himself on a great steroid program and doesn’t get caught.

Expect two marginal bigs to be brought in for relief minutes for Brown and split time for McLeod.

I'm talking non P4 guys

They are going to shoot their wad on a pure top end PG

Wow. Wish him luck. Hope Red has a gameplan or he's in trouble.
These 1 maybe 2 year teams will erode fan interest. Basically college basketball is turning into a Big TBT tourney each year, where each team patches together a squad as best they can with what they have. You never get to know anyone on our team or anyone else's. Players went from playing 4/5 years in one town, to playing for a semester. yukon has it figured out but it'll never be as good as it once was. Rivals are gone, knowing your rivals is gone, loyalty is gone and general fan interest is going just ask casual fan..

If we go into the season with Donnie as our starting C something has gone horribly horribly wrong. We will get a center. I won’t promise it’ll be a good center but there’s no chance Freeman is the starting C unless he gets himself on a great steroid program and doesn’t get caught.
I’m more talking about the eventuality that McPlod goes down with an injury again and Freeman is forced into Maliq duty.

Red is tearing down the roster. That's fine, because the roster wasn't good enough. But that amplifies the pressure to be good next year. If he doesn't replace the outgoing production with better players and if we end up with a worse record . . . yikes, pitchforks and torches will be out. Fingers crossed he pulls it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom