Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Imagine Donnie is going to be watching with heightened interest as well. Maliq at 220 wasn’t ideal for the center position. Freeman at 190 will be a nightmare.

Freeman at center can't be the plan.

I don't believe Maliq at center again next year was the plan, either.

I would not be surprised if Donnie starting at the 4 may have been a selling point to get him to commit.

If I was Maliq, I would want to start at the 4 if and not get shoehorned into playing center again or get downgraded to being a bench player.

If those are the options, I really can't blame Maliq for wanting to go elsewhere.

We'd have (2) 4's that are p5 caliber starters...

Portal happens in these situations now... The hard reality.

Browns a nice 6th 7th man
. A situational stud.
He's undersized and can't defend good 5s.
He isn't a threat on O.
Great defender that lacks Size for the 5 position and offensive skills for the 4.
I was hoping Freeman could play the 3 and Brown the 4 but then Bell would be odd man out.
Kid wanted to start at forward and with Bell and Brown that wasn’t going to happen.
So now we have 3 scores at the
2, 3, 4. A solid backup at the 5 and Chance who can play three positions. 1,2,3. Pretty solid core.
Add a pg, solid 5, and we've got a team. If possible add another forward.
Brown was the odd man out at the forward position and he knows his shot is at the 4..that's my two cents.

this could have come from within, right?

brown is a great guy and player

but not sure he truly fits with red's vision

he's not really a center and there's a 5 star all american PF coming in...

we need a SCORER in the post and brown is not that

could be a tough decision made from the coaches

All due respect, but this has to rank as one of the most delusional attempts at rationalization in the history of this forum.
Simply put Maliq Brown was far and away the best player on the team- most definitely the best frontcourt player we had. His loss is huge, not just for the player he is right now, but for what he likely will become... somewhere else, moving forward.
As for the incoming 5-star frosh replacement, if I had a nickel for every poster who's declared "once (fill-in-the-blank) gets here, we can simply slot him in that starting spot, and he'll step right in", I'd be a mega millionaire!
There's absolutely no guarantee that the next kid will be as good as Maliq already showed he was. We can hope, but it's never a given.
No doubt about it... this one hurts.

Last edited:
That would tell you wrong then. Maybe he didn't like the circus he played with this year. Maybe right now, he thinks the grass must be greener. Plus, he doesn't wnat to play the 5.
I took the way you said that from that, not anything else. Didn’t say anything opposed to what you just said at all. Regardless, from what you say now, someone is clearly awful at communication and it’s either our staff or the player.

I took the way you said that from that, not anything else. Didn’t say anything opposed to what you just said at all. Regardless, from what you say now, someone is clearly awful at communication and it’s either our staff or the player.
I heard this was a possibility last week. Was going to go online with it and decided better not to. I am not sure he will leave. I hope he stays. Getting three guys in the portal is no easy chore. But he can be replaced. Thank God for Freeman.

is our fanbase going to transition to being more interested in football? Honest question! Like yes we have a couple very good recruits coming in for basketball next year, but like we aren’t making splashes in the portal that will grab the interest of the casual fan or hell even me the rabid fan (until proven otherwise). Our portal transfers to date have all been backups or bench players. Give me the proven players from G5 programs all day. Give me the Dalton Knecht players from northern colorado, or dj burns from Winthrop. Sick of us grabbing the big programs crumbs.

Also, thank god we got Fran brown. Imagine if we had this BS going down in bball and another boring recruiting year with football. That would be rough.

Browns a nice 6th 7th man
. A situational stud.
He's undersized and can't defend good 5s.
He isn't a threat on O.
Great defender that lacks Size for the 5 position and offensive skills for the 4.
I was hoping Freeman could play the 3 and Brown the 4 but then Bell would be odd man out.
Kid wanted to start at forward and with Bell and Brown that wasn’t going to happen.
So now we have 3 scores at the
2, 3, 4. A solid backup at the 5 and Chance who can play three positions. 1,2,3. Pretty solid core.
Add a pg, solid 5, and we've got a team. If possible add another forward.
Brown was the odd man out at the forward position and he knows his shot is at the 4..that's my two cents.
I grow so tired of this narrative about his offense. He was the best passer on the team, something which facilitated this thing called the OFFENSE!

That’s my bet. Clemson.
Even more now that Girard came out in an article saying that Clemson's the best thing since sliced bread and he thinks everybody should transfer there

Expect two marginal bigs to be brought in for relief minutes for Brown and split time for McLeod.

I'm talking non P4 guys

They are going to shoot their wad on a pure top end PG
If we're not paying Maliq I would really hope we have enough $$ for a difference-making PG AND Center but I guess that's asking too much.

I heard this was a spossibility last week. Was going to go online with it and decided better not to. I am not sure he will leave. I hope he stays. Getting three guys in the portal is no easy chore. But he can be replaced. Thank God for Freeman.
Yeah I get it from his perspective for sure, the timing now, and after his previous words was just odd,

If we're not paying Maliq I would really hope we have enough $$ for a difference-making PG AND Center but I guess that's asking too much.
Consider me in the camp who believes we do have NIL for hoops, and that they are being selective and not trying to overspend on guys.

They will spend based on talent and need.

Elliot Cadeau for example. Talent but shooting is bad. They might approach him but won't overpay for him, if that makes sense. There is a limit for every prospect.

Even if you wanted to comeback why wouldn’t you put your name in the portal? I mean just for the leverage and the size of the bag your current school is offering,
The risk is the university no longer has to honor the scholarship once the player enters the portal. The university can take the player back if they want to, but they don't have to.

Kobe is not the last. I don't remember Steph Curry ever requesting a trade, nor do I see Jokic ever requesting a trade. There are still a few left out there but they are few and far between

We are holding on to the past because the past was truly was exemplified college sports. Playing for the school meant so much to the player and community. Reality is, this is professional basketball. The rarest of rare truly play for the jersey on the front in the NBA (Kobe is the last of that style). It’s just not the same and it’s hard to understand that the players don’t have love for the university like we do and the players used to.

"So if I was a college player today, I would not try and maximize my earnings potential and would not look within the rules of the system to find the best opportunity for me long term, instead I would be loyal to my school, coach and teammates and stay even against my own self interests".

If you are not willing to sign off on that statement, please save the silly comments about loyalty is gone, etc. Good grief it's sucks for cuse but it's not that complicated and the suggestion that Maliq lacks a quality and is somehow less than others like Kobe and Steph bc of it is flipping ridiculous.

These 1 maybe 2 year teams will erode fan interest. Basically college basketball is turning into a Big TBT tourney each year, where each team patches together a squad as best they can with what they have. You never get to know anyone on our team or anyone else's. Players went from playing 4/5 years in one town, to playing for a semester. yukon has it figured out but it'll never be as good as it once was. Rivals are gone, knowing your rivals is gone, loyalty is gone and general fan interest is going just ask casual fan..
I think we're seeing it with the increase in popularity in Women's CBB (along with better players), but the familiarly of Iowa vs LSU and the players involved is a better storyline than anything the Men's Tourney had. By far.

Big loss. Maliq should have started at forward when Mcleod was starting at center. Forced to play out of position all year even when it wasn’t necessary. Autry had a center in with Brown for about 5 minutes all year. Can’t blame him for this decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom