Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

If there's any silver lining, it's that Red can sell portal C targets on playing time, though not as much as he could if McLeod was leaving too.

To be clear, it would've been silly to make Maliq play the 5 again, but this removes a lot of doubt.

The potential issues Maliq may have with Syracuse next year existed a few weeks ago when he said he's returning and said he's all about loyalty. Was there a significant development in the portal that we don't know about yet? Was Donnie going to come off the bench and he demanded he start? Did Maliq get lured out with NIL?
All it takes is a phone call saying a program that wants you has big bucks and it’s a wrap.

To quote a great heel, “Everybody has a price”

Million Dollar Man Laugh GIF

A 7’4” guy who can’t move or do basketball things. And a Center who wasn’t capable enough as a freshman to get minutes over not-Centers playing Center, on a team of underclassmen.

I don’t know Brown’s motivations. I’m guessing. Until proven otherwise, my guess is that the staff told him he might play Center again, which, imo, is egregious.

I have no idea how capable Patterson is.

I do know the plan all along was to redshirt him last season.

We have a 7-2, 230# kid on the team who redshirted last year. And a 7-4 260# who played.

And the portal's only been open for a few weeks.

Now if Maliq doesn't want to start at the 5, and he doesn't think he can beat out Freeman at the 4, then we don't really have a center issue.

We have a "Maliq not being happy with his role issue". Or a "bag" issue. Probably a little of both.
Maybe it's semantics, but I think we have a roster construction issue. We have 5s, but we don't have an interior scoring threat from the 4 or the 5. Playing Brown at the 5 put the best 5 guys on the floor, but didn't alleviate the problem. Hopefully, Freeman has a post up game that can be effective vs ACC defenders.

If we look at who left with any impact it’s Q, Taylor and Brown. 3 guys used as Swiss Army knives this year. 3 guys playing out of position.

Many on this board have rightfully said that in order to bring in the best available in the portal Autry has to have available major minutes and likely a starting spot. I think he’s done with the positionless approach unless it’s for players off the bench.

Taylor played his way down to a midmajor or at best a P5 bench role. Q played his way up to a PG starting position just not at a Cuse level program.

Now Brown was definitely our best defender and would’ve been a huge factor next year no doubt. He deserves to start on a solid P5 team at the 4 and can hold his own at the 5. Sadly we need him more at the 5 and to play defense behind Freeman.

That put us in a bind. Can’t bring in the best available 5 with Brown on the team and not ideal for Brown either having to clean up whatever mess of mins is leftover from Freeman and the transfer 5.

Now NIL. I’d like to think we’d tell Mommy Brown to name her price and we’ll pay it just to come off the bench. Thats a lose lose for Brown in the long term tho hoping to shine behind Mr McDonalds and let’s hope a big name transfer 5. If he ends up a non factor next year behind them he’s just screwed.

If there's any silver lining, it's that Red can sell portal C targets on playing time, though not as much as he could if McLeod was leaving too.

To be clear, it would've been silly to make Maliq play the 5 again, but this removes a lot of doubt.
If he's not assuring portal centers that McLeod is nothing more than a backup who will only play when the portal needs a breather or is in foul trouble, then I don't even know what to think.

I sincerely believe that the plan going into this past season was to play Maliq situationally at the 5, for spurts of small-ball. And then stuff happened, and he was forced to play 35 min/game at the 5. I sincerely believe that Maliq was likely told that going into next year, Freeman would likely start at the 4 and that he (Maliq) would be sharing minutes at the 4 and 5. And he didn't like that. And that is understandable.

I heard this was a possibility last week. Was going to go online with it and decided better not to. I am not sure he will leave. I hope he stays. Getting three guys in the portal is no easy chore. But he can be replaced. Thank God for Freeman.
Thanks for the update on this ray of hope.

At this point i dont even care who stays or leaves anymore. Its the wild west and every season you are going to have new players. To get all worked up about it isnt worth it

Unfortunately, this is exactly the camp I'm in nowadays. And, it is, in part, a notable reason why you won't see me giving even a dime to any NIL fund.

We have a 7-2, 230# kid on the team who redshirted last year. And a 7-4 260# who played.

And the portal's only been open for a few weeks.

Now if Maliq doesn't want to start at the 5, and he doesn't think he can beat out Freeman at the 4, then we don't really have a center issue.

We have a "Maliq not being happy with his role issue". Or a "bag" issue. Probably a little of both.
Let’s be real, though. We don’t have a 5 on the roster who’s all that good. We have beanpoles and projects.

If he's not assuring portal centers that McLeod is nothing more than a backup who will only play when the portal needs a breather or is in foul trouble, then I don't even know what to think.
Agree there. Would like to get a guy who can relegate McLeod to around 12 MPG, but admittedly I don't know who fits that criteria besides Omoruyi.

If we look at who left with any impact it’s Q, Taylor and Brown. 3 guys used as Swiss Army knives this year. 3 guys playing out of position.

Many on this board have rightfully said that in order to bring in the best available in the portal Autry has to have available major minutes and likely a starting spot. I think he’s done with the positionless approach unless it’s for players off the bench.

Taylor played his way down to a midmajor or at best a P5 bench role. Q played his way up to a PG starting position just not at a Cuse level program.

Now Brown was definitely our best defender and would’ve been a huge factor next year no doubt. He deserves to start on a solid P5 team at the 4 and can hold his own at the 5. Sadly we need him more at the 5 and to play defense behind Freeman.

That put us in a bind. Can’t bring in the best available 5 with Brown on the team and not ideal for Brown either having to clean up whatever mess of mins is leftover from Freeman and the transfer 5.

Now NIL. I’d like to think we’d tell Mommy Brown to name her price and we’ll pay it just to come off the bench. Thats a lose lose for Brown in the long term tho hoping to shine behind Mr McDonalds and let’s hope a big name transfer 5. If he ends up a non factor next year behind them he’s just screwed.
This is an interesting post. If we get a big name transfer 5 all is well.

Perhaps Mintz is coming back after all. (I’ll believe it when I see it.)
i havent thought it is the forgone conclusion people thought it was...red loves judah

but do you think THAT is the reason bronw would leave?!? doubt it
All due respect, but this has to rank as one of the most delusional attempts at rationalization, in the history of this forum.
Simply put Maliq Brown was far and away the best player on the team- most definitely the best frontcourt player we had. His loss is huge, not just for the player he is right now, but for what he likely will become... somewhere else, moving forward.
As for the incoming 5-star frosh replacement, if I had a nickel for every poster who's declared "once (fill-in-the-blank) gets here, we can simply slot him in that starting spot, and he'll step right in", I'd be a mega millionaire!
There's absolutely no guarantee that the next kid will be as good as Maliq already showed he was. We can hope, but it's never a given.
No doubt about it... this one hurts.
we'll have to see how it plays out...I just want different skillsets in the frontcourt than what we had from this year's team.

i dont want an undersized defender who cant really get his own shot at the center spot

brown is an elite defender at the PF and losing that will hurt but ...im just waiting to see what the roster is before I decide what I think about this development

there is a chance I think this is bad...there is also a chance I think this is good.

all depends on what the final roster is.

i dont get how people are so clear on what this means...especially because the Frontcourt SUCKED this year...i mean it blew chunks. and brown was a part of that.

ya gotta roll with it…
In reality, you really don’t. Which is something the powers in College sports better figure out damn fast. I hope there’s something left of CBB to save.

Maliq was 17th in the ACC in Win Shares and 11th in PER. The chances of us finding someone as good are miniscule. Bell, Judah, and JJ are replaceable. Maliq is probably not.
He’s definitely replaceable, if you were Kentucky, Duke, UNC, what’s going to piss me off is when he goes to Virginia or Clemson or lesser and we’re sitting here again losing a player to a peer or lesser school.

We are who we are at this point.

The weirdest thing here is that there was nothing on the pay side about him leaving! How could that be?!
Dasher hasn’t stepped off of Brown plays the 5 too much and he’s gone, he’s been saying that since before the end of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom