Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Pretty disappointing news here, even if we do get Lampkin.

Give Lampkin 26 mins at C, let Maliq play like 16 mins at the 4 and 10 mins at the 5, and let Donnie play 24 mins at the 4, leave a few minutes for Patterson. Everyone gets appropriate playing time, everyone gets their optimal positional mix.

Pretty frustrating if Red couldn't sell something like that to Maliq effectively enough, especially if it came down to all three players being hellbent on starting rather than their playing time and being on a contender.

Why do kids even open their mouths anymore about staying or leaving and opening up the possibility of turning themselves into liars?

Players have been switching to multiple HS's and AAU teams for various reasons and it's moved to college. I'm thinking the only way to slow it down is to have them sign a multi year deal with their NIL partner like pro sports.

As for Brown, he made the team better and that was the kind of player SU needs. Sorry to see him go and obviously most don't have a clue why but I just don't see this being on a whim he did this, there definitely was a reason for the sudden change of mind...for example: Taylor AND GMac leaving.

I think people are forgetting that a lot of teams are playing post-ups straight up with no help. A skilled big is going to eat up a lot of guys if he can take five dribbles and pump fake twice before shooting. Saw filipowski get eaten alive against nc state.
I believe most people were mad at the last NCS game when Brown had a hard time with the big guy although he did great against him in first two wins and then the good center from i cant remember where.

SU assistant Brenden Straughn, Brown’s position coach, describes Brown as “probably the most valuable, the most important piece of what we’re doing on both ends of the floor.”
My thoughts exactly. Kept us in a ton of games without scoring 20 points but if he would be more aggressive he coulda scored more but he is the glue guy.

I believe most people were mad at the last NCS game when Brown had a hard time with the big guy although he did great against him in first two wins and then the good center from i cant remember where.
Clemson perhaps? Hall was murdering us that game, but a large part of that was Maliq helping as our guards struggled to chase Girard around screens and then the help defense failed to rotate to Hall.

Clemson perhaps? Hall was murdering us that game, but a large part of that was Maliq helping as our guards struggled to chase Girard around screens and then the help defense failed to rotate to Hall.
Taller kid who kept backing brown down low. Really quick kid.

We can't beat teams with good centers with Brown. He played his heart out but he's a thin 6'8. He is a forward who had to play out of position. Same as Joe having to play pg for Jim.
It sucks he doesn't want to split time at the 4 and 5 this year but you can't blame the kid. To me this is Querrier all over again. He wants to play for a school at forward. Wants to see if he can improve the offensive side of his game as a starter. His role at Syracuse was never going to allow that to the level he wants. Not with Freeman on the team. I believe this is all about his fit at SU not being what he envisions for himself.
I hope he gets the opportunity to play forward full-time, to develop his offensive game and do well.
Unfortunately like Guerrier I don't see it. Brown is what he is. A solid tweener who's a great defender, good rebounder and passer that lacks an offensive game.

Taller kid who kept backing brown down low. Really quick kid.
Ko
We can't beat teams with good centers with Brown. He played his heart out but he's a thin 6'8. He is a forward who had to play out of position. Same as Joe having to play pg for Jim.
It sucks he doesn't want to split time at the 4 and 5 this year but you can't blame the kid. To me this is Querrier all over again. He wants to play for a school at forward. Wants to see if he can improve the offensive side of his game as a starter. His role at Syracuse was never going to allow that to the level he wants. Not with Freeman on the team. I believe this is all about his fit at SU not being what he envisions for himself.
I hope he gets the opportunity to play forward full-time, to develop his offensive game and do well.
Unfortunately like Guerrier I don't see it. Brown is what he is. A solid tweener who's a great defender, good rebounder and passer that lacks an offensive game.
You‘re spot on. Malik is a good player, but is very limited on offense. If McLeod hadn’t got hurt he would not have started this year. He never played along side of McLeod because he doesn’t have forward skills. He’s a center. If you are loaded on offense, Brown can be very effective. His passing is his best attribute and his ability to guard on the perimeter. He’s a wonderful piece on a team, but he’s not a centerpiece without the team being perfect around him. I hate that he’s leaving, but Red should be able to put a more conventional front line together. Our problem is, we want it today and struggle waiting for all the dominos to fall.

This is a wild thread with some serious H0T Takes. The folks who rationalize these missteps by taking shots at the guy who held the team together, just lol. Sad fans stuck in a past that’s long gone.

Without Maliq they don’t win 10 games. Fact. Who was playing? Laughable. The best player on the team is getting bounced for a freshman and Red is building a team around two of the worst defenders in the ACC and who are also limited offensively and adding a third.

Not a good look at all. If Red can’t keep his best pieces and build around them I don’t know what he’s doing then. I’ve had doubts this year, but this offseason is going the opposite direction.

This is a wild thread with some serious H0T Takes. The folks who rationalize these missteps by taking shots at the guy who held the team together, just lol. Sad fans stuck in a past that’s long gone.

Without Maliq they don’t win 10 games. Fact. Who was playing? Laughable. The best player on the team is getting bounced for a freshman and Red is building a team around two of the worst defenders in the ACC and who are also limited offensively and adding a third.

Not a good look at all. If Red can’t keep his best pieces and build around them I don’t know what he’s doing then. I’ve had doubts this year, but this offseason is going the opposite direction.
It’s unfair to judge the roster at this point. We have to see the full plan before we freak out.

It can be true that the staff views Maliq as an awesome glue guy but not a star and that Maliq wants to be more than that. That’s a reasonable position on both sides.

With Maliq, Donnie and our desperate need for a true 5, the pieces didn’t fit neatly together. Let’s see what pieces we bring in.

Last edited:
Eh, disappointing in many ways for sure. But four 20-win seasons, four tourney berths, two sweet 16s and a final four with one losing season (still 16 wins) isn’t that atrocious. Add into that the fact that it was the end of an incredibly long tenure by a legendary coach (almost always a rocky ride at the finish) and a first-year head coach in an unprecedented era of player movement, the introduction of the era of players being paid above board in a Wild West type scenario, and penalty-free transfers while conferences are being constantly realigned.

That scenario is going to make for a lot of uncertainty and we’ve certainly felt that. Definitely ugly at times and disappointing for sure, but I wouldn’t call it comical nor would I say it’s been thoroughly shocking.

Just hope we can weather the storm and come out ok on the other side sooner than later.
Team hasn’t been ranked during conference play in 10 years. A decade! A 20 win season, woo hoo. A) teams are playing 3-5 more games per season than in the past B) This year that 20 includes a bad D2 team. Teams play 35 games and schedule cupcakes. SU is a plucky mid major who got a couple wins in a single elimination post season tourney that they backed into. A program that the rest of country doesn’t realize still exists.

While losing Brown sucks, I think his decision has more to do with GMac, Taylor and Cole leaving than Freeman coming in. There’s room on the floor for both Brown and Freeman. If Red couldn’t figure that out he’s not cut out to be a head coach. You put your best players on the floor.

It’s unfair to judge the roster at this point. We have to see the full plan before we freak out.

It can be true that the staff views Maliq as an awesome glue guy but not a star and that Maliq wants to be more than that. That’s a reasonable position in both sides.

With Maliq, Donnie and our desperate need for a true 5, the pieces didn’t fit neatly together. Let’s see what pieces we bring in.
What’s the roster? Bell, JJ, Freeman, mintz or a Mintz clone, and Lampkin and bench with a kid who hasn’t played D1 basketball in two years, a 7’4” center who doesn’t know how to play basketball, a redshirt frosh center who couldn’t get time on a team with zero centers, and a freshman shooter.

Roster is more or less set. If Red can’t convince a guy he’s had on his team for two years to stick around in a time share, you think he’s going to assemble some all star squad 10 deep?

Losing Maliq Brown is a huge loss for the basketball program. Eddie Lampkin is not a good enough player to replace him if that’s who we are going with. He’s just not. Stop
spinning that it is. Way too many people undervaluing how good Brown is are going to end up looking like fools next year.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Brown ends up at a school that has a better season than Syracuse next year.

The stench around the program needs to get fixed. Stop giving the Benny Williams of the world NIL money to keep around just because he was a good athlete in HS.

Monumental Failure. No 300 pound center who averages more turnovers per 40 than the 2 former point guards and had 5 blocks on the season is a quality replacement. The guy is maxed out. Brown has 2 more seasons where he likely will be more productive.

I slept on it and it appears even worse than yesterday.

Guys I get people are upset but let’s think of it. With our current roster of players we are barely an NIT team! Let that sink in a minute and I’ve had my share of criticisms but he won 20 games this year. Brown at best is a backup power forward. He can’t shoot the ball. We need to think differently about where we need to go and I’m pleased to hear Red is also understanding this and making some bold moves
the coping in this thread is wild. He was the only ACC caliber player the entire year and now that he’s leaving he wasn’t good enough. Classic. I’m sure red has a plan, but it’s hard to replace all-ACC defenders, especially for a coaching staff that seemingly couldn’t teach guys to play a lick of effective defense.

Losing Maliq Brown is a huge loss for the basketball program. Eddie Lampkin is not a good enough player to replace him if that’s who we are going with. He’s just not. Stop
spinning that it is. Way too many people undervaluing how good Brown is are going to end up looking like fools next year.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Brown ends up at a school that has a better season than Syracuse next year.

The stench around the program needs to get fixed. Stop giving the Benny Williams of the world NIL money to keep around just because he was a good athlete in HS.

Monumental Failure. No 300 pound center who averages more turnovers per 40 than the 2 former point guards and had 5 blocks on the season is a quality replacement. The guy is maxed out. Brown has 2 more seasons where he likely will be more productive.

I’m actually surprised by the over-the-top reactions of people in this thread.

There is no stench around this program. There just isn’t. The one-and-done world of going to the NBA is now for everything.

NC State has a final four team with a starting five entirely made up of transfers.

Virginia Tech lost its top seven players to the portal. (I wouldn’t be shocked to see Brown end up there.)

Assuming we lose JUDAH as well, we will lose one guy that was a projected starter this time last year, a valuable sixth man in Q and a lunchpail dude that just knows the game in Maliq. Losses for sure.

But let’s see what we bring in before we get all catastrophic. Jeesh.

Really? If you can’t keep core pieces like Jesse Edwards and Maliq Brown from leaving to the transfer portal after you helped develop them and you don’t have the NIL money to keep them here, then I worry SU doesn’t have the institutional commitment to return the basketball program to its previously elite status.
Steal others developed elsewhere.

We aren’t a victim here. We are an active participant.

No no no, see lampkin is even better! It’s just like JJ and Naheem! They were far superior players to their predecessors, and they proved it on the court. /s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom