Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I’m not sure you guys understand what you are getting here and what you are giving up. It’s almost laughable…just take the heaviest guy!

That's the thing though isn't it? If you believe that Brown is better and yet bringing in a starting caliber center causes him to leave then . . . . . . . . . . . . . . what are you supposed to do. We would all likely be ecstatic to get this kid at center if Maliq stayed. Then you have:

Small Ball: Maliq
Banger: Eddie
Shot Blocker: The Highlander
Deep Depth: The RS kid

Also didn’t he tell Donna 4 weeks ago he was returning? Something must’ve changed
No. He left the door open. He also added that he would see how things shake out. The board dismissed what they did not want to hear.

Been hearing we’ve been looking at transfer 4s. Wonder if it’s because he doesn’t want to play the 5 next year
Captain Obvious.

No I understand, I just disagree. Have seen both play. If I needed a center I would go find a center. Not an undersized power forward which is what will get you in trouble, playing guys out of position. I would prefer to have both, Brown stayed and came off the bench at the 4 and possibly some small ball 5. I don't think either player is all that great. Bown isn't a 5, talking apples and oranges.

We aren't trading. giving up etc, this is the way it goes. They come and they go.
Playing out of position Maliq was still All ACC defensive team on a team that played no defense…

I’d be loyal to the guy you developed and has already showed he can play well at this level, not the unknown quantities coming into the program. Freeman can come off the bench. Not every McD AA is some irreplaceable stud as a frosh. Ask UK. Replace the least effective guys on the team who finished near the bottom in most categories in the conference. Get better talent.

this Red’s choice and part of being a big college basketball coach. That’s why he’s paid millions.
Yep. If I'm Maliq and did so much for the team this season only to be told that I couldn't go back to playing my natural position as a junior because a freshman is coming in at the same spot (albeit a highly-touted one), I'd pack up too. So would a lot of others here.

That's the thing though isn't it? If you believe that Brown is better and yet bringing in a starting caliber center causes him to leave then . . . . . . . . . . . . . . what are you supposed to do. We would all likely be ecstatic to get this kid at center if Maliq stayed. Then you have:

Small Ball: Maliq
Banger: Eddie
Shot Blocker: The Highlander
Deep Depth: The RS kid
The problem is if we get him he’s going to get 30 minutes now. He was Colorados least effective starter and they didn’t want him back. The question is why?

If Lampkin costs you Maliq then any good center we bring in that would excite us costs you Maliq. That is the real issue IMO.
Yes as I noted in multiple threads over the last two weeks. If you Flip great…but Lampkin?

He’s there regardless. Im
Talking the trade

Separate question then - is it a two person trade I.e. also bringing in the dude from Delaware for depth along with Lampkin given we already were chasing a big? A small ball 5 who backs up the 4 and the 5? To me that would be much easier to swallow even if I’m still far more in preference of having kept Maliq. That also keeps Donnie at the 4 or even the 3 at times if his shooting and handle is good enough for it in stints while using the new guy purely at the 4 and 5 behind Donnie/Lampkin.

I want to add I’m on team this absolutely blows if it’s a 1 to 1 trade and extremely dissapointed. Just figuring there has to be something else here to bolster the frontcourt.. I mean if not then uggh

So Maliq transferred out because he saw Lampkin coming in??
I guess it’s based on how they were being used. Or were planned on being used. You could easily figure out how to get bell, freeman, brown and any center in the game

So what if Brown's camp told Red he is not playing center next year hard stop? At all. People keep saying that there are plenty of minutes but that assumes minutes at the 5. So is Red to give Brown 30 minutes every game at the 4? If so then what of our 5 star Freeman?

Playing out of position Maliq was still All ACC defensive team on a team that played no defense…
still doesn't make him a legit 5 on a good team. Like I said, wish he stayed but he can't hold up at the 5. for small periods of time versus the right teams sure he can.

I guess it’s based on how they were being used. Or were planned on being used. You could easily figure out how to get bell, freeman, brown and any center in the game
WHAT.IF.BROWNS.CAMP.SAID.NO

Separate question then - is it a two person trade I.e. also bringing in the dude from Delaware for depth along with Lampkin given we already were chasing a big? A small ball 5 who backs up the 4 and the 5? To me that would be much easier to swallow even if I’m still far more in preference of having kept Maliq. That also keeps Donnie at the 4 or even the 3 at times if his shooting and handle is good enough for it in stints while using the new guy purely at the 4 and 5 behind Donnie/Lampkin.
So many moving parts it’s hard to say. I know the staff were surprised and were counting on Maliq

How do you know what minutes distribution Red decided/didn't decide and what was presented to Maliq?
This is not a criticism of Red. It’s an observation about the overall disconnect between the player and the coaching staff.

This is not a criticism of Red. It’s an observation about the overall disconnect between the player and the coaching staff.
At virtually every program in the country. Look at some of these daily portal entries

What if Maliq was pulled into the portal with a bigger bag offer?

Or just the desire to play on an NCAA caliber team.

Could easily see him fitting well with a top 25 squad, and fitting into just about any offensive system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom