Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

FTR I’m in a fantasy football league with 9 other mid 2000’s SU grads all around 40 years old and all are disgusted with the Maliq transfer and list of possible players we are going after this offseason. Most of these guys weren’t keen on the Red hire to begin with and I defended him all year. So if anyone thinks I’m nuts, there’s other fans that think thisnisneven worse than I do.
Of course. And you are very much entitled to your position as are they. That is why they make so many different types of ice cream. However, no one wanted Brown to leave. Not you. Not your friends. Not the coaches. Nor any of the fans that are not all that upset by this. We all wanted him to stay. But it was Brown who didn't like the role he saw them having for him next year. He left. They didn't release him or trade him. They obviously thought they had to get a real big that they can go down low to. And they obviously think Freeman is the real deal. But it was Brown who left us. Not the other way around.

Part of the frustration here is that this says something significant about either the status of our program, Red, or our NIL funds. It seems like everyone wants Maliq back, and Maliq isn't opposed to coming back (ie he doesn't hate the area/people/etc).

The issue here is it's not a perfect situation for him basketball wise. There will be numerous power conference programs who would love to have him portal in and be THE power forward. Guaranteed starts, guaranteed minutes, etc.

There will be programs who manage to keep guys in imperfect but good situations, and programs that don't. The difference will probably be the status of the program (does he stay if we're UNC, Duke, UConn, etc?), the ability of the coach to convince them to stay, or the size of the bag available for guys who aren't "the man" but who are important and valuable pieces.

I'm not sure which it is here, and even the blue bloods with the right coach and the deepest pockets won't always keep those guys, but it's a clear indicator that one or more of those factors aren't working for us.

This is basically just free market capitalism. There are 70-80 power conference-ish teams (like, Gonzaga counts). Maliq is clearly good enough to be in the top 70-80 power forwards in the country, so in a free market that resets every year, he will get the opportunity to seek out exactly what he wants from one of those teams and get it. In order to be a consistent powerhouse program, you need to convince guys like Maliq to stay and possibly play a lesser role on a better team.

This one hurts because on the surface it isn't that hard of a sell, so this situation is a good test case for us - and either we (program, coaches, NIL) didn't pass or Maliq was just very set on leaving (doesn't seem to be the case).

FTR I’m in a fantasy football league with 9 other mid 2000’s SU grads all around 40 years old and all are disgusted with the Maliq transfer and list of possible players we are going after this offseason. Most of these guys weren’t keen on the Red hire to begin with and I defended him all year. So if anyone thinks I’m nuts, there’s other fans that think this is worse than I do.
There's a number of people in this very thread agreeing with you. Don't go all Alsacs and think nobody is agreeing with you because you're so focused on those who disagree :)

Part of the frustration here is that this says something significant about either the status of our program, Red, or our NIL funds. It seems like everyone wants Maliq back, and Maliq isn't opposed to coming back (ie he doesn't hate the area/people/etc).

The issue here is it's not a perfect situation for him basketball wise. There will be numerous power conference programs who would love to have him portal in and be THE power forward. Guaranteed starts, guaranteed minutes, etc.

There will be programs who manage to keep guys in imperfect but good situations, and programs that don't. The difference will probably be the status of the program (does he stay if we're UNC, Duke, UConn, etc?), the ability of the coach to convince them to stay, or the size of the bag available for guys who aren't "the man" but who are important and valuable pieces.

I'm not sure which it is here, and even the blue bloods with the right coach and the deepest pockets won't always keep those guys, but it's a clear indicator that one or more of those factors aren't working for us.

This is basically just free market capitalism. There are 70-80 power conference-ish teams (like, Gonzaga counts). Maliq is clearly good enough to be in the top 70-80 power forwards in the country, so in a free market that resets every year, he will get the opportunity to seek out exactly what he wants from one of those teams and get it. In order to be a consistent powerhouse program, you need to convince guys like Maliq to stay and possibly play a lesser role on a better team.

This one hurts because on the surface it isn't that hard of a sell, so this situation is a good test case for us - and either we (program, coaches, NIL) didn't pass or Maliq was just very set on leaving (doesn't seem to be the case).

Right I posted a much shorter comment to this effect but this is on point. You have to be able to do it all in terms of sell a vision, attract the NIL to bring guys back on maybe even lesser roles alongside major talent in the portal and bring in top freshmen talent that can help you right away.

Right I posted a much shorter comment to this effect but this is on point. You have to be able to do it all in terms of sell a vision, attract the NIL to bring guys back on maybe even lesser roles alongside major talent in the portal and bring in top freshmen talent that can help you right away.
Right, and let's not act like Syracuse is at all unique in scrambling to figure this out right now.
Oodles of pominent programs are hemorrhaging key players unexpectedly. It sucks

Wish Brown and Freeman could take turn starting like first half second half or alternate games or one starts one finishes...wonder how much brown's decision is related to the fans turning on Taylor and GMac's departure.

I haven't sifted through 40 pages of this, but to me what really irks me is that teams can't have experienced depth anymore. There will be games where Donnie is not playing well, or our portal center is off, and it would be great to plug and play Malik in either spot. Our best teams had not only depth but solid experienced guys who would be game changers. Sucks that this now seems like a pipe dream.

ok neat
so you're just throwing a tantrum and can't answer a question
Yeah. That’s a tantrum when the staff has let their most productive players leave. Last year the guys they replaced them with were duds or complete zeroes and everyone thinks well this time will be different!

Apologies. I realize I’ve been a bit insane the past 16 hours or so.

We are about to watch UConn probably get title number 6. It’s sickening and I think we all have the right to be out of our minds a little. We need to see some serious improvement talent wise via development and additions and it’s slow playing its way out.

I haven't sifted through 40 pages of this, but to me what really irks me is that teams can't have experienced depth anymore. There will be games where Donnie is not playing well, or our portal center is off, and it would be great to plug and play Malik in either spot. Our best teams had not only depth but solid experienced guys who would be game changers. Sucks that this now seems like a pipe dream.
I think we can, but we probably need them to be guys that kind of develop into it slowly rather than going from being a starter one year to a role player off the bench the next.

A guy seeing his minutes increase each year while he improves to become a valuable bench piece may be happy in that role. A guy starting, playing 30 minutes a game, and playing the best basketball of his life and then having his minutes reduced the next season probably will not be happy in that role. Maybe if we can get back to being a top tier program again, we might have more leeway for stuff like that, but in our current state, I think most players facing a demotion in role will at least consider transferring.

what kills me with some of these posts are i dont think people really grasp at how the portal works, what a kid is thinking and to set feelings aside. Here is how I approach every off season

Assume EVERY kid is leaving once the season ends. EVERY kid

I dont get attached emotionally to players anymore. Im too old and the game has changed.

Understand that if you were in their position you would declare for the portal as well. I would have drank a cup of piss in college if someone gave me $20 for beer money. Why wouldnt a kid look at leaving if someone offered him $800k?

Just accept that its the way the game works now. All this "I cant believe he left" and "its a massive loss...we arent gonna recover" is ridiculous. Move on and adapt.

We didnt even sniff the post season with this cast of characters. Maybe (gasp!) we could actually get the RIGHT players in here and get back to the NCAA's?

ok ALOT of you in this thread legit need to take a breathe and step away from this thread. Some of the takes in here..are just LOL
We're acting like it's July 2024 and we're going to start 3 walk ons

Of course. And you are very much entitled to your position as are they. That is why they make so many different types of ice cream. However, no one wanted Brown to leave. Not you. Not your friends. Not the coaches. Nor any of the fans that are not all that upset by this. We all wanted him to stay. But it was Brown who didn't like the role he saw them having for him next year. He left. They didn't release him or trade him. They obviously thought they had to get a real big that they can go down low to. And they obviously think Freeman is the real deal. But it was Brown who left us. Not the other way around.
It’s never the staff’s fault with a lot of fans here. From sanctions to players leaving early to bags from other teams. Things that every other team in college basketball have to deal with.

After a decade of irrelevance I’m tired of the excuses.

In this era of positionless basketball I wonder why we couldn't play both Freeman and Brown at forward and let Lampkin or whoever play the 5. Once we had a 5 in the fold then Brown would be assured he would not be our starting center and perhaps he could be placated and convinced to stay. I know outside shooting might be a concern with Freeman and Brown as our forwards but that might be a problem to resolve once you have them both on the roster.

ok ALOT of you in this thread legit need to take a breathe and step away from this thread. Some of the takes in here..are just LOL
We're acting like it's July 2024 and we're going to start 3 walk ons
How’s the program doing? Let’s say, over the last decade?

Give me a break. No one is expecting walkons. Louisville didn’t play walkons.

It’s never the staff’s fault with a lot of fans here. From sanctions to players leaving early to bags from other teams. Things that every other team in college basketball have to deal with.

After a decade of irrelevance I’m tired of the excuses.
The situation we find ourselves in is 100% of a coach that stayed much too long. He wasn't the same guy as he once was and he still wanted the job. But that isn't the current coaches fault who has been the Head coach for a grand total of one year. And that year, contrary to what one poster said, was anything but a failure. He inherited a team that was not sound. Changed to a defense most hadn't played at this level, and still won 20 games with a tough schedule. I am giving him time. That seems reasonable to me. Losing Brown sucks but why don't we wait to see what we get in before we head to the bridge to lean over it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom