Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I just wonder, who did people think we were going to get? And if Brown had stayed and this happened today, everyone would be so happy.
I can agree with that. The problem is these guys can’t defend a lick. Look at the Starling thread from last offseason. The same debate was had about he and Girard and I hate to say I was right, but I was right about JJ on the defensive end.

I just checked the portal centers available. There are 15 that are all 4 stars jumbled all together.

Here’s the crazy thing though. A dozen are 6’10-7’1 200-230 pounds. Only a few are close to Lampkin at 265. We didn’t need another just tall guy and we got the beef.

He is gonna be a bruiser and we need the toughness

Still miss Brown but trying to survive a season with a whole frontcourt that weighs 20-40 pounds less than most competition isn’t something I wanted to see again.

I can agree with that. The problem is these guys can’t defend a lick. Look at the Starling thread from last offseason. The same debate was had about he and Girard and I hate to say I was right, but I was right about JJ on the defensive end.
Here is something else we can agree with. We are going to have a terrific offense if we get a good pt guard. and I am sure that the biggest pot of money we have is going to the point guard position. Now, can we improve on the defensive side of the court. We will have to see. But we will score pts.

I just checked the portal centers available. There are 15 that are all 4 stars jumbled all together.

Here’s the crazy thing though. A dozen are 6’10-7’1 200-230 pounds. Only a few are close to Lampkin at 265. We didn’t need another just tall guy.

Still miss Brown but trying to survive a season with a whole frontcourt that weighs 20-40 pounds less than most competition isn’t something I wanted to see again.
DJ Burns Jr.!

Just wish he was a rim protector

I just wonder, who did people think we were going to get? And if Brown had stayed and this happened today, everyone would be so happy.
Now we can work on a multi-faceted forward who can score and a lead guard. If it means having less guys playing out of position, I think it makes things a lot easier going forward.

I agree with this line the most. We need to add some toughness to the team and a physical presence on the court. I think we were lacking in that big time. He will not be pushed around. Hopefully Freeman can be a rim protector for us in the starting lineup.

Are we trying to Alabama this thing hahahah

I think it's absolutely possible for a top 10ish recruit to be better than Maliq. I don't know where I'd put the percentages on that, but I don't think it would be surprising if Donnie is better and don't think it would be surprising if Maliq is better. Regardless, I think roughly 99% of schools out there would take a Donnie commitment even if it means losing Maliq. Especially a school as desperate as us to get back on the national map.

Maybe. Maybe he's talented enough to be a better overall producer. We won't know until he shows it.

But objectively as high school kid isn't going to come in and be a better defender than a veteran strong college defender. It just doesn't happen, and it's bananas that a number of people (not necessarily you) are talking about that as a likelihood or even a possibility.

So he'd better be an absolute offensive phenom to be a net positive over Brown.

Maybe. Maybe he's talented enough to be a better overall producer. We won't know until he shows it.

But objectively as high school kid isn't going to come in and be a better defender than a veteran strong college defender. It just doesn't happen, and it's bananas that a number of people (not necessarily you) are talking about that as a likelihood or even a possibility.

So he'd better be an absolute offensive phenom to be a net positive over Brown.
Maliq must think Freeman is pretty good.

Yeah, since these schools don't release that kind of data, I find it difficult to believe that anyone, anywhere has any idea what other schools have. Other than guessing. Which is rarely correct.

I agree it would be difficult to get a solid # on all ACC collectives in total but the numbers are out there and alot of it is coordinated with direct knowledge of the staff (despite current NCAA prohibition).

Factually, I have a very good friend who is an alum and significant donor of an ACC collective and he has shared numbers with me.

So it is feasible to gain information. Bigger donors aren't in the dark.

If Maliq is what a lot of you claim, why is he scared of the competition?

And why wasn't he starting instead of Taylor when Benny blew up before the season started?

And what did he do to improve his offense skills between his freshman and soph year?

And why were there times when he clearly did not look to score?

I still wish he was coming back but he was not taking SU to the promised land.

If Maliq is what a lot of you claim, why is he scared of the competition?

And why wasn't he starting instead of Taylor when Benny blew up before the season started?

And what did he do to improve his offense skills between his freshman and soph year?

And why were there times when he clearly did not look to score?

I still wish he was coming back but he was not taking SU to the promised land.

No offense here, I get your point, but why, in the portal era, waste your time on a possibly rigged “competition”.

If someone will give you starters mins, you should go there

It’s like….did anyone ask if JJ was scared of competition at ND?

No offense here, I get your point, but why, in the portal era, waste your time on a possibly rigged “competition”.

If someone will give you starters mins, you should go there

It’s like….did anyone ask if JJ was scared of competition at ND?
But you do not know that it is rigged. Do the players?

And what are starter minutes? Real teams play their best players 30-32 minutes. I can do the math and that would be available for Maliq next year.

Like I said, I would be very happy if he was playing for SU next year. I would have been happier if he was at SU and learned to dribble and shoot, but that is apparently not going to happen. Next up.

Then again, maybe he doesn't like the cold; maybe someone offered him a deal.

But you do not know that it is rigged. Do the players?

And what are starter minutes? Real teams play their best players 30-32 minutes. I can do the math and that would be available for Maliq next year.

Like I said, I would be very happy if he was playing for SU next year. I would have been happier if he was at SU and learned to dribble and shoot, but that is apparently not going to happen. Next up.

Then again, maybe he doesn't like the cold; maybe someone offered him a deal.

based on who transferred a couple years ago. Yes the players know how legit a competition is.

It’s in our best interest with future Team Takeover players that Freeman works out.

I’m with you that it could have worked out with Maliq and mins. But the suggestion that it’s because he’s scared of comp is silly

based on who transferred a couple years ago. Yes the players know how legit a competition is.

It’s in our best interest with future Team Takeover players that Freeman works out.
Well the coach from a few years ago is thankfully off jabbering on local sports radio. As to Team Takeover, I agree.

Most of us consider Syracuse to be in the second tier of CBB programs right under the blue bloods, right? Show me how many times the most important player from one of the teams in our tier or above has transferred in the last couple of years, please.
One example is /was Matt Cleveland who went from Florida State last year to Miami.

Again how will paying brown $800K solve that? And how do we know with not having brought anyone in yet? Lets all wait and see how this plays out
That’s what Bacot got last year. Comparing Brown to Bacot is laughable. The kid at Kansas got $844,000. Brown is worth about $150,000 tops!
No one is paying Brown $800,000. I don’t believe that for a second.

Last edited:
That’s pretty good then since not even people involved with SUs collectives know exactly how much all the other ACC teams have. It can also change in a moments notice since there have been times when a collective will raise funds for a specific player. Go orange.
I mean is the goal to be a middle of the pack ACC team or do we want enough NIL to compete with the big boys? Maybe our goals are somewhere in between.

Middle of the pack in the ACC is probably around $1.5M. Top tier NIL is probably $3M-$4M+.

I mean is the goal to be a middle of the pack ACC team or do we want enough NIL to compete with the big boys? Maybe our goals are somewhere in between.

Middle of the pack in the ACC is probably around $1.5M. Top tier NIL is probably $3M-$4M+.
What difference does it make what our goals are? Either we raise the money or we don't. I'm sure the University would love to see us first in NIL money. But that is up to the donors. Not the school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom