Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

It’s only the first week of April and we have more “next season looks like a disaster posts” then I recall of any other off season or at least top 3. This is just so much fun lol.

I’m avoiding jumping on the pile until seeing who the PG addition is, who we add for forward depth and what the prognosis looks like on Westry and to a lesser extent McLeod.

This thread has gone from Maliq leaving to the DF is the savior thread.
or another perspective might be that it has gone from our savior Maliq is being pushed out to the hey DF looks really really good thread

Depends, the school has influence on where they want the big money to go. Does the school want the big money to go to football NIL over basketball NIL? Does the school prefer donors to give towards NIL instead of building upgrades? Different schools have different priorities.
Building upgrades gets the donor a tax deduction. NIL doesn't. That is up to the donor.

His handle looks good. Scouting reports say he isn’t going to consistently break guys down with the dribble, he’ll likely be a bit turnover prone (as most freshman are), but it’s clear that he’s comfortable with the ball in his hands away from the hoop.

You’re implying he isn’t known to have a jump shot when every scouting report I’ve read notes that as one of the top positive attributes of his game. He hasn’t been just a tall bouncy guy who dunks. So, I completely expect him to shoot and make jumpers in ACC play. He’s tall with a high release. Defenders aren’t going to be able to challenge his jumpers often.

Yeah, all good --- I don't agree. All good, we'll see.

I don't see the dribbling being anything more than two dribbles at the ACC level his frosh year and definitely not breaking anyone down from the perimeter.

I don't see the range on his jumper that would equal a consistent outside shot.

I think he's long, fluid and his jumper looks like it can eventually come around. He needs to gain weight, needs to dominate at the rim and leverage his athleticism.

If he had a smooth jump shout out to range and a full ability to dribble, he would be vying for a top 5 pick in 2025, which he is not.

A lot of upside, but a lot of development needed.

Donnie Freeman is going to be huge upgrade over Justin next year. That’s how I look at it, but Donnie is not an Alpha. You could clearly see the Alpha’s in the game last night. You can say bigs don’t touch the ball in theses games, but the big guy from Maryland dominated. You hardly knew Freeman was on the floor. In an organized setting he will do a lot better, but he could easily pick up two quick fouls next year and we currently don’t have an answer to replace him. We still need a combo forward and an elite point guard. Not another combo guard.

Donnie Freeman is going to be huge upgrade over Justin next year. That’s how I look at it, but Donnie is not an Alpha. You could clearly see the Alpha’s in the game last night. You can say bigs don’t touch the ball in theses games, but the big guy from Maryland dominated. You hardly knew Freeman was on the floor. In an organized setting he will do a lot better, but he could easily pick up two quick fouls next year and we currently don’t have an answer to replace him. We still need a combo forward and an elite point guard. Not another combo guard.

He’s been the alpha in prep play to be fair - or at least the co-alpha. He was more assertive in the scrimmage than last night where you saw a handful of guys really try and force the issue. Not to mention he got half the minutes those guys did

His handle looks good. Scouting reports say he isn’t going to consistently break guys down with the dribble, he’ll likely be a bit turnover prone (as most freshman are), but it’s clear that he’s comfortable with the ball in his hands away from the hoop.

You’re implying he isn’t known to have a jump shot when every scouting report I’ve read notes that as one of the top positive attributes of his game. He hasn’t been just a tall bouncy guy who dunks. So, I completely expect him to shoot and make jumpers in ACC play. He’s tall with a high release. Defenders aren’t going to be able to challenge his jumpers often.
Between high school games and AAU, he shot 29% from 3. He was a poor shooter the year before as well. Having said that, it does sound like he's been shooting well in practices and stuff recently, but we often see reports about stuff like that that don't carry over to actual games. His jumper looks okay, and he's certainly comfortable taking them. The results have been disappointing up to this point though.

No, he isn't. If he had remained healthy I believe we win 2 or 3 more games and make the dance

He’s a backup big man who can protect the rim for short spans of playing time and be a threat with the lob in certain matchups. He didn’t evolve his game so unless he healed quickly and is working his tail off to improve…I’d rather us find a physical combo forward who can be a small ball 5 for 5 mins a game or so while backing up the 4.

Depends, the school has influence on where they want the big money to go. Does the school want the big money to go to football NIL over basketball NIL? Does the school prefer donors to give towards NIL instead of building upgrades? Different schools have different priorities.

Football and bball nil are basically different pots and in many cases different donors. Football got a big boost in nil because of some donors who would donate to a Fran brown led football team. You keep thinking it’s one big pot and SU decides where it goes.

Not according to our plus/minus with him on the court this year. It might’ve been worse.
For every block McLeod had there were 3-4 bone head sluggish plays. Slow and does not have the IQ or timing. He is the illusion of a rim protector because of his block stats. And now he is coming off an injury.

One example is /was Matt Cleveland who went from Florida State last year to Miami.
Yep. I also could have sworn I watched Caleb Love start for UNC for 3 years (averaging 11, 16 and 17 ppg) and then again for Arizona this year.

The bolded seems wild to me. I love what Freeman brings but he is a Freshman. Even if he starts he may take a while to get used to the speed of D1 ball and adjust his game accordingly. I feel like Maliq would find plenty of minutes at the 4.

I guess that is why I am confused on how we can’t sell this to him.
I 100 percent dont see Donnie 1 and done although there is a small chance. Maliq could easily get 12 at 3 and 4 each and 6-8 at the 5. I truly dont love Judah back unless he changes his game completely. Way better defense, less complaining, and better shot selection. Squeeze Bell in at 2 for a few minutes to get Brown more. We gotta get Brown back somehow as he would be a great teacher to Freeman.

I feel like Red could have went one of two ways with this whole 3/4/5 situation.

Start a portal 1, jj, Donnie, Maliq, Lampkin and likely lose Bell to the portal

Or start a portal 1, jj, bell, Donnie, Lampkin and possibly loose Maliq to the portal, but you believe you can convince him to stay. Went with option two but Maliq had other plans :(

That's the way this board works now days. Very few threads, if any, stay on focus. The same takes are just recycled combined with guys having pissing matches with each other.
1712162078134.jpeg

The bolded seems wild to me. I love what Freeman brings but he is a Freshman. Even if he starts he may take a while to get used to the speed of D1 ball and adjust his game accordingly. I feel like Maliq would find plenty of minutes at the 4.

I guess that is why I am confused on how we can’t sell this to him.
I doubt a 5 star player is going to SU to be a backup even as a frosh, especially to a guy who has played center 90% of the time. I really like Brown. Wish SU had better options at C this past year to see what Brown could do at the 4. Wondered what was going to happen next year.

Yeah, all good --- I don't agree. All good, we'll see.

I don't see the dribbling being anything more than two dribbles at the ACC level his frosh year and definitely not breaking anyone down from the perimeter.

I don't see the range on his jumper that would equal a consistent outside shot.

I think he's long, fluid and his jumper looks like it can eventually come around. He needs to gain weight, needs to dominate at the rim and leverage his athleticism.

If he had a smooth jump shout out to range and a full ability to dribble, he would be vying for a top 5 pick in 2025, which he is not.

A lot of upside, but a lot of development needed.

What do you mean by a smooth jumper? I haven’t noticed a hitch and his release is quick, or at least not slow. His percentages behind the arc have been okay from the limited stats available. He’s obviously not going to be a high volume 3 guy, but I don’t see an indication that he isn’t a threat from the arc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom