Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Nope. But I’d like to try and get as close to Edey/Clingan as possible.

NIL is going to keep the Bacots of the world in college longer.

None of the above mentioned centers would have been in college this year pre - NIL. The game is going retro.
Edey couldn't take advantage of NIL though, right? Didn't he publicly say he has an issue with that (rightfully so)?

I echo your support of Maliq - I am curious though as to what you think he is valuing if Duke turns out to be the thing. I assume the bag is large and I am AMEN to any player who can cash in while they can.

I think you agree Maliq's NBA future is not strong so coming off the bench and most likely (though still unknown) playing much less, isn't a huge deal I guess because it's Duke.

So eliminating outlier stuff like closer to home, better development (?), etc. - in order it would be bag and brand over minutes? Again not coming at you, more interested in what we think Maliq's thought process is. Flagg and the center aren't coming off the floor so he better hope Flagg plays a lot of 3.

Flagg et al will absolutely come off the floor. Only at Syracuse would we expect guys to go 40. The most mpg last year for anyone on Duke was 32.7 and it was Roach. They’ll play guys normal mpg. 27 - 32 or what not. Even for the best players.

Maliq would be able to play the position he wants, with other players that can play D, play in big games, make the tournament, have better passers around him, etc.

On top of getting paid more.

I would wager that he believes in top of all that, that Duke can feature his strengths better than Syracuse can. A guy that is a great defender and doesn’t need to cover for a number of others’ atrocious defense, great at screening, great passer will thrive more in that environment than in Cuse’s. Think about him setting a high screen and getting a pass to run 4 on 3 at Duke vs what we have. Even if they use him in the dunker spot, they can use him there way better than Cuse can.

Not sure what you're looking for then. I'm not suggesting that we got the best guys who are in the portal, but it's clear that Red is trying to assemble a team where guys are playing their natural position rather than what's happened the last several years.
It really isn't the portal guys I'm mostly concerned about. It's the two guys we have decided to build our lineup around that are holdovers from last year and how they fit with the new guys. I don't think Bell and JJ are good enough.

It really isn't the portal guys I'm mostly concerned about. It's the two guys we have decided to build our lineup around that are holdovers from last year and how they fit with the new guys. I don't think Bell and JJ are good enough.

Exactly. You can lose a Maliq (even tho it will always suck), but you can’t lose a Maliq and then have Bell and JJ be the guys you’re building around.

Where is Maliq going? Please save me from reading the 56 pages.

Edey couldn't take advantage of NIL though, right? Didn't he publicly say he has an issue with that (rightfully so)?
Edey got NIL deals, but was limited because he could only earn NIL off USA soil (i.e. Canada). I think his recent comment was that he would have been loaded up with more NIL if it wasn't for the immigration law. Which is true - guy would have been making bank in commercials, etc.

It's not an NCAA rule though, right? It's a student visa issue, I'm pretty sure, which has pretty strict limits on the ability to earn money while in the U.S. (although I could and have been wrong many many times before).
Correct - it's up to Congress to change the immigration law. NCAA can't do anything here.

Color me shocked that the defense was better with Brown at C than they were with Peter Carey, Mounir Hima, and Benny Williams playing as our C.

You’re misreading the numbers. His rating was better than EVERYONE on the team. Including Bell, JJ…you know the guys that are coming back.

Flagg et al will absolutely come off the floor. Only at Syracuse would we expect guys to go 40. The most mpg last year for anyone on Duke was 32.7 and it was Roach. They’ll play guys normal mpg. 27 - 32 or what not. Even for the best players.

Maliq would be able to play the position he wants, with other players that can play D, play in big games, make the tournament, have better passers around him, etc.

On top of getting paid more.

I would wager that he believes in top of all that, that Duke can feature his strengths better than Syracuse can. A guy that is a great defender and doesn’t need to cover for a number of others’ atrocious defense, great at screening, great passer will thrive more in that environment than in Cuse’s. Think about him setting a high screen and getting a pass to run 4 on 3 at Duke vs what we have. Even if they use him in the dunker spot, they can use him there way better than Cuse can.
all true - personally I think his minutes will come for Maluach more than Flagg but we shall see how it breaks down. Athletic has an article on Duke personnel that is interesting - they are definitely looking for an interior defender/rebounder but they prefer someone with perimeter skills (that should be easy to find ha).

I'm interested to see how this shakes out. Either way I am glad to see a guy with a less flashy skill set getting some interest. Gives me hope that all is not lost in college basketball.

Bottom line to me is this whole Maliq isn’t a C deal ultimately is doesn’t matter. He clearly didn’t want to play center. The comparisons to Lampkin are spin. Red picked Freeman over Maliq and that’s what matters at the end. If he’s better than Maliq then it was the correct decision.

You’re misreading the numbers. His rating was better than EVERYONE on the team. Including Bell, JJ…you know the guys that are coming back.
Of course the drop off from Maliq to guys like Carey/Hima would be more severe than the dropoff from Judah to Cuffe, JJ/Bell to Copeland, etc. Maliq's backups were unplayable. Cuffe/Copeland were not a dropoff/maybe an upgrade at their positions defensively.

Moving guys off their spots on the block is part of playing defense. Maliq couldn’t move big, strong guys off their spots.
How does one quantitate this? You would think is this was that big of an issue that it would show up

Maliq seems like a great kid. No ego and no distractions. Hope he does well at his next stop...even if it's Duke. And of course I hope he plays terribly vs Cuse.
Anyone who leaves SU I don’t really care about at all, although I do make exceptions for those who have earned a degree.

Of course the drop off from Maliq to guys like Carey/Hima would be more severe than the dropoff from Judah to Cuffe, JJ/Bell to Copeland, etc. Maliq's backups were unplayable. Cuffe/Copeland were not a dropoff/maybe an upgrade at their positions defensively.

I get your point but that has nothing to do with how defensive ratings are calculated. My point is that if he was such a liability at center, it would have show up in some of his metrics vs the other players on the team.

This is fair. Hopefully Lampkin cleans up the issues he had on offense last season which have barely been spoken about. He had 11 games with at least 4 turnovers. Maliq had 41 total on the season.

I'd probably be over Maliq leaving by now if he wasn't visiting Duke, but him going there is an awful look for Syracuse no matter how it's spun. It's like the football team losing guys in the portal to factories.
Agree. In men’s and women’s bball we’re a de facto farm team; football remains to be seen the impact of our new coach. We’re not alone it’s the lamentable state of college athletics today.

Once Donnie started really opening eyes and climbing the rankings, all while Maliq was performing as our best player, I knew that Red would have an untenable situation on his hands, and that he'd be damned if he did damned if he didn't... it sucks - and sucks even more if he ends up at dook

Once Donnie started really opening eyes and climbing the rankings, all while Maliq was performing as our best player, I knew that Red would have an untenable situation on his hands, and that he'd be damned if he did damned if he didn't... it sucks - and sucks even more if he ends up at dook
If it truly was freeman over Malik then that is an easy decision for Autry. Freeman is a top tier recruit, a potential long term NBA player and a dynamic offensive threat. Malik is a very nice college player and good teammmate but not in the same league. He obviously saw that and didn’t want to accept a bench role at Cuse. If he accepts that same bench role at Duke then good for him but there are a lot more things to worry about than the 7th man in dook. Their starting five will be the main problem.
Cuse!

I would be shocked if Maliq ended up at Duke. I like Maliq and his game but Duke has a 6 member incoming freshman class with too much talent for any transfer to really find any significant playing time next year. Best of luck to Maliq wherever he ends up.

There is more than one way to make defense work as a system.

We aren’t elite.

Lampkin won’t stop an Edey or Clingan either.

The coaches landed someone they could get. Not their ideal get.

And, again, if you think coming off the bench for the pre-season #1 is the same as coming off the bench for Cuse, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s apples and palm trees comparison.
Agreed. Never said it was the same, just said it was the same role.

I would be shocked if Maliq ended up at Duke. I like Maliq and his game but Duke has a 6 member incoming freshman class with too much talent for any transfer to really find any significant playing time next year. Best of luck to Maliq wherever he ends up.
Yep. I don't get the consternation some people have with him visiting there. If Duke is signing guys that weren't going to start at Syracuse out of the portal I think that's a great look for SU! And the thought he can play SF at Duke is kinda laughable. It took 2 centers getting hurt and a PF getting kicked off the team to start at SU this season. He played admirably. If he'd rather be the 10th or 11th man at Duke than the 6th man at Syracuse so be it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom