Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I don't know that is true. He didn't start in the Mickey Dees game. Really wasn't on the second team either. I hope he can do well enough to be a one and done. But it is no sure thing in my book.
He’s up to 11 on Rivals this week. I think it’s a safe bet he’s gone after a year.

He’s up to 11 on Rivals this week. I think it’s a safe bet he’s gone after a year.
I hope so for what that would mean to our season. But if we go back to high school ratings and how they did in the first year, not so much a guarantee. He is ranked 19 at espn.

My best guess is he didn't love the idea that an 18 year old freshman who's never stepped foot on a college court is going to start over him, an experienced junior. Likely feels that he's paid his dues and deserves to start. That is why I'm quite surprised by the Duke interest considering he won't start there, but maybe it's one of those things where if Duke wants you, you don't pass it up. Sucks...but this is the way it is now with portal/NIL.
and if Duke loses their starting center and their backup is meh, guess what...Maliq may be playing some 5. You try to put yourself in the best possible spot but sometimes circumstances change the plan.

IF he ends up there the $ incentive has to be the or one of the determining factors, as i assume other schools have offered better fits and minutes.

I hope so for what that would mean to our season. But if we go back to high school ratings and how they did in the first year, not so much a guarantee. He is ranked 19 at espn.
I called out Rivals because his stock appears to be rising with scouts. I wouldn’t put much stock on how much certain guys played in the McDonalds game. The practices are where scouts make their analysis.

Depends what level we’re taking about. If Duke gets a McD’s AA, that guy starts unless there’s a former McD’s AA ahead of him. Duke does have the gravitas to dink around with some McD’s AA’s here and there but you can’t do that too much or you risk not getting them, or not getting as many. Burger boys sign up to play early and often, usually.
Brown is one of the higher ranked guys in the portal, they can't afford to dink around with those players either. IMO, Brown is being told that Duke wants to win and if he can help them win more than the recruit, he'll get the PT.

I wouldn’t go to Duke, because freshman come in every year and start over upper class man .

I wouldn’t go to Duke because I’m not a dweeb

nerds GIF

I believe last year’s number 11 recruit on Rivals was Omaha Biliew
Not exactly apples to oranges between the classes though. Everyone knew last years wasn't that great. I don't think Donnie is going to come in here and be Melo, but if he averages around 13/7 or somewhere like that then good enough for me. Oshae averaged 15/9 his freshman year. Maybe Donnie can produce slightly less with a bit more efficiency.

Last edited:
Brown is one of the higher ranked guys in the portal, they can't afford to dink around with those players either. IMO, Brown is being told that Duke wants to win and if he can help them win more than the recruit, he'll get the PT.

That could be the case and maybe they’ve sold him on that idea. Personally, I wouldn’t take a reserve role in the hopes that I’ll get a shot at starting as a Senior on a team that routinely lands immediate NBA prospects, but I’m not Maliq Brown and I’m not getting the chance to compete for a title and make 6 figures for my trouble.

Everyone in college is 1 and done now - just not to the NBA but to whomever makes them the best offer.

I think that’s what I’m getting at with the assumption Donnie, and all McD’s dudes, are committing to schools with the expectation (if not promise) to start and play a lot. These guys aren’t planning out 3 or 4 year careers in college. I’d be surprised if they’re planning 2. It’s do or die, now or never, for all of them. If you make it to your Junior year before declaring for the draft, the NBA looks at you the way Jim Harbaugh used to look at people who eat chicken.

Really depends on the source you're looking at. On3 for example has him as the #42 ranked guy in the transfer portal, but of the 5 main sources I'm looking at, his average ranking is #100 (which tbf, is higher than Lampkin, Davis, and Leffew).

Not exactly apples to oranges between the classes though. Everyone knew last years wasn't that great. I don't think Donnie is going to come in here and be Melo, but if he averages around 13/7 or somewhere like that then good enough for me. Oshae averaged 15/9 his freshman year. Maybe Donnie can slightly less with a bit more efficiency.

Yeah, I actually think Donnie could be a late first round / early second round based on what I've seen. But he still needs to put in work and produce.

I'm just saying, everyone is one and done til they face real competition.

Benny Williams was not a top 15 player in his class and was likely over ranked due to the pandemic rankings being terrible.

But, but he would've easily been if he had committed to Duke or any place other than Syracuse, been a Mickey D guy, etc. I guess that spiel is no longer convenient due to how things played out.

I guess that's just another false premise, no different than how Syracuse can never get a highly ranked football recruiting class due to, well, being Syracuse. Poor Syracuse is just located in a, let's just say, less than ideal place, with relatively chitty prep football in the state, not be close to areas that produce talent, etc., etc.. And the beat goes on...

This is fair. Hopefully Lampkin cleans up the issues he had on offense last season which have barely been spoken about. He had 11 games with at least 4 turnovers. Maliq had 41 total on the season.

I'd probably be over Maliq leaving by now if he wasn't visiting Duke, but him going there is an awful look for Syracuse no matter how it's spun. It's like the football team losing guys in the portal to factories.
I would think Lampkin was used more, and also was a more active passer. Malik was not really used in that capacity.
I wish we would make a run at keeping Brown, if he is really going to be a bench guy at Duke. There are 80 minutes at the 4/5x. 25 minutes a game doesn’t seem too outlandish to predict.

I would think Lampkin was used more, and also was a more active passer. Malik was not really used in that capacity.
I wish we would make a run at keeping Brown, if he is really going to be a bench guy at Duke. There are 80 minutes at the 4/5x. 25 minutes a game doesn’t seem too outlandish to predict.
You can't offer what I'm sure was offered to get Davis then get Maliq back. Ship has sailed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom