Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

ms ludgate dwyer goes to washington GIF

Might be the best defensive frontcourt in the country. 7’2” 250 lb Maluach, who might be a high draft pick in next year’s draft, playing between Flagg and Maliq. Flagg is known for his defense. We know about Browns defense.
I'd pack it in against them. 3 guys that don't shoot well.

Rumor has it they want him for the 4 and they will move Flagg to the 3. They really don't want to start three frosh up front.
Impossible, he’s not good enough to start at Syracuse, let alone duke!

Last edited:
Might be the best defensive frontcourt in the country. 7’2” 250 lb Maluach, who might be a high draft pick in next year’s draft, playing between Flagg and Maliq. Flagg is known for his defense. We know about Browns defense.

It’s one of the best, for sure.

I honestly think the assumption that Freeman is going to be a world-beater his frosh year isn't fair to Freeman...Those were the same assumptions for Benny, and his freshman year...
Doesn’t really matter if it’s fair or not. We had Maliq at PF this year and now we have him instead so he’ll have to be on that level immediately

I don’t know much. But Maliq is not leaving over a starting position. He would easily start at Syracuse next season. If he’s starting at Duke, he’s a starter here.

I don’t know much. But Maliq is not leaving over a starting position. He would easily start at Syracuse next season. If he’s starting at Duke, he’s a starter here.
That isn't true. Totally different situations. Who was Brown going to start over? It wouldn't be Freeman. It wouldn't be Bell. And it wouldn't be Lampkin. He wasn't going to start here. At Duke, he may well indeed start. They have three highly touted frosh. They want some older kids in that lineup. Who will play more is the question. By the way, he didn't start at Syracuse until Naheen got hurt.

I honestly think the assumption that Freeman is going to be a world-beater his frosh year isn't fair to Freeman...Those were the same assumptions for Benny, and his freshman year...
so true, it's a big jump for even the best players. To think he'll be some kind of superstar is ill-advised. I hope he is adequate and serviceable, realistic expectations for a freshman.

dude freeman is 1 and done..stop
Others who people thought were one and done on this board, Jalen Carey ( I kid you not), Quincy Guerrier, Oshae Brissett. Carey was a miserable failure, Guerrier and Brisett were solid as freshman but hardly one and done, Quincy spent the last five years in college.

Only read the last page and see multiple people saying Maliq wouldn't be a starter for us next year? That's wild. Led our team in Blocks, Rebounds and Steals this year. 1 less assist then JJ had on the year. Shot 70% from the floor. Is this people just trying to make themselves feel better? Our team has been mediocre for years now and we're trying to tell ourselves that the best player on our team who has decided to leave would go from best player on the team to the bench his JR year? Lol.
Guaranteed. Bell starts. Freeman starts. Lampkin or McCloud starts. Brown didn’t even start over Taylor at the 4 at the beginning of the year.
I wish he stayed. He would get 20 minutes or more a game.

Benny was an athlete who played basketball. Freeman is a basketball player who is an athlete. Big difference.

Not most likely ranked too high... He was definitely ranked too high. He couldn't even figure out how to put an arc on the ball until his second year.
He still had a flat shot occasionally this year, front rim clackers with 0% chance of going in

Others who people thought were one and done on this board, Jalen Carey ( I kid you not), Quincy Guerrier, Oshae Brissett. Carey was a miserable failure, Guerrier and Brisett were solid as freshman but hardly one and done, Quincy spent the last five years in college.
Goodine and Moyer too. Oh, Marek

That isn't true. Totally different situations. Who was Brown going to start over? It wouldn't be Freeman. It wouldn't be Bell. And it wouldn't be Lampkin. He wasn't going to start here. At Duke, he may well indeed start. They have three highly touted frosh. They want some older kids in that lineup. Who will play more is the question. By the way, he didn't start at Syracuse until Naheen got hurt.
Dasher, I respect you a ton. But this makes zero sense to me. Duke has way more talent than Syracuse overall. If he starts there, he starts here. I like all our expected newcomers (both freshman and transfers), but I think Maliq would or should start over Freeman, unless a starting spot was promised to Donnie in his recruitment. I agree that we need Bell on the floor to start because he’s an elite shooter, and we need a post presence to start so that means Lampkin. That’s just my opinion. I just don’t have faith in freshman being ready to shoulder a huge burden. Maybe Donnie is different. I really hope so. I do think Jyáre as the backup will help alleviate the loss of Maliq.

Those guys were not thought of as one and done. Chris McCullough, yes, Benny and Judah, maybe - but no.

Am I on Syracuse.com? Lots of kvetching going on for an offseason still going and a coach who just finished year 1 after our HOF coach stayed around 6 years to long. Oh and he has the schools first 5 star coming in how many years?
Also it’s not like Red showed Brown the door. One board insider said he was definitely coming back when suddenly he went portal. So for all the bitchin about Red, I am surprised no one is complaining about Brown taking the bag. Because that is most likely how this went down. His recruiter leaves, his best friend from childhood is shown the door and he likely finds out coaches will throw him a big ass bag. People acting like Red told Brown to walk. Usually the simplest answer is the right answer and Brown found out teams will pay him AND his friend and coach he trusted left. Why wouldn’t he go? That said let’s not act like Carmello hit the portal on us here.

I'm not one of the ones criticizing Red for any of this, but it's worth pointing out that Benny was a 5 star (at least on Rivals). Again, no beef with Red. Just had to mention that to be fair.

There is a difference between a consensus and a minority. I've been around longer than my profile would indicate. None of those guys were widely considered one and done.

I'm not buying that Maliq was sincerely told he had a shot at being a starting Forward and bailed for NIL money or playing time elsewhere. I don't care if an insider or ten say that's the case. Because for that to be the case, that means nothing matters anymore and college sports are dead in the water and there is no point in rooting for any players anymore because we're just dealing with rentals who don't give a darn about their commitment to a school or fanbase, so we shouldn't give a darn about them. As a fan of college sports, I'd like for college sports not to suck and die. If I'm just rooting for orange jerseys, then F it, I'm out.

With that said, this means all eyes are on Bell. I hope he feels the pressure and rises to the occasion. Whether it was by design or default, it appears that he was chosen over Maliq as a starter. I think Donnie committed with an understanding that he would start. This is reasonable. Any idea that he has to come in and 'earn' a starting spot is lip service stuff coaches have to say. So, Bell better be lights out next season. He is/can be a truly elite shooter. Like, #1 in the ACC or even country level elite. He needs to be that.

“Because for that to be the case, that means nothing matters anymore and college sports are dead in the water and there is no point in rooting for any players anymore because we're just dealing with rentals who don't give a darn about their commitment to a school or fanbase, so we shouldn't give a darn about them”

Nailed it

Yeah but maybe we promised himto start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom