Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I am a big Maliq fan and I am upset that he has portaled. But, there comes a time when we have to hold the program accountable and see things from the player's perspective. Maliq is talented enough to be a starting power forward on any major D1 team (yes, even Duke with its annual 5 star freshman forwards who are unproven at the collegiate level, along with Kentucky, Kansas etc., who all have learned that it takes solid veteran players to take teams far into or win the tournament).
Maliq is in a position that many Syracuse forwards the past decade has been in (having to play out of position at center for the majority of their minutes on the court as opposed to when the team is in a pinch). This has hurt many forwards ability to grow and showcase their talents as forwards and put them in a bad light (foul trouble - thus limited minutes, looking weak defensively against legit centers etc.).
Duke has 2 five star freshman centers coming in, so Scheyer can guarantee Maliq that he will be starting and playing power forward all or a majority of his minutes. Also, Flagg is a generational talent who will make every one on the court better. Maliq's experience will balance the team which is losing quite a few veteran players to the draft or portal.
As much as I hate it, unlike Jordan Tucker's situation, Duke will be a very good fit for Maliq as he will be able to play his natural position which will help his draft position, as he is a viable NBA player.
I in no way see Malik playing in the NBA. I hope he can and makes a ton of money. By all accounts, a great kid. But I sure don't see an NBA player when I watch him play.

You think the imminent commitment is bad, just wait until they win the Tournament next year and Maliq Brown is immortalized in Duke history as the veteran leader who led young generational talents to the 6th championship for the brotherhood. #ForeverDuke

Okay. Your choice. You can have Malik Brown back or you can have one of these three players leave or not come. Freeman, Lamkin or Bell. If you keep Brown and you keep him by making him a starter, do you take that with one of the other three leaving?

This might be a hot take, but I’d prefer Brown and Freeman over Bell and Freeman.

Bell is elite at one thing and it’s the one thing that is the most important thing in college basketball, or just basketball. It’s uncomfortable to be in the position of criticizing a guy who was at times one of the very few bright spots on the team, a guy who cares, a guy who won us some games. Buttttt, his defense bothers me a lot. His one-dimensional offense makes him a liability when he’s not ‘on.’ I’m still of the opinion that defense is what separates teams and defense is what will get us back to where we want to be. Maliq at Forward gives us an incredible wing defender next to a freshman who, at least, has the physical tools and size to be a plus defender.

If the staff chose Bell over edit: Brown, Bell needs to put in serious work. Bell needs to be a leader and a guy we can count on night in and night out, regardless of how hot or cold he is. If he does that, I’ll be the first to sing his praises and congratulate Red on making the right call (if that’s even the call that was made).

Last edited:
This might be a hot take, but I’d prefer Brown and Freeman over Bell and Freeman.

Bell is elite at one thing and it’s the one thing that is the most important thing in college basketball, or just basketball. It’s uncomfortable to be in the position of criticizing a guy who was at times one of the very few bright spots on the team, a guy who cares, a guy who won us some games. Buttttt, his defense bothers me a lot. His one-dimensional offense makes him a liability when he’s not ‘on.’ I’m still of the opinion that defense is what separates teams and defense is what will get us back to where we want to be. Maliq at Forward gives us an incredible wing defender next to a freshman who, at least, has the physical tools and size to be a plus defender.

If the staff chose Bell over Freeman, Bell needs to put in serious work. Bell needs to be a leader and a guy we can count on night in and night out, regardless of how hot or cold he is. If he does that, I’ll be the first to sing his praises and congratulate Red on making the right call (if that’s even the call that was made).
You meant if the staff chose Bell over Brown, right?

If the staff chose Bell over Freeman, Bell needs to put in serious work. Bell needs to be a leader and a guy we can count on night in and night out, regardless of how hot or cold he is. If he does that, I’ll be the first to sing his praises and congratulate Red on making the right call (if that’s even the call that was made).

I understand your point but a replacement for Brown is (and was) easier to attain and less costly than it would have been for Bell. The reason is, as you correctly identify that Bell is elite at the most important skill. Brown is very good but I wouldn't say he is elite at any skill. Brown however doesn't play small forward and it wasn't a simple we can keep Bell or Brown decision.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be rude but again how does that specific information change anything? (other than how you feel about it) No matter what we talked to Malik about, what other teams have told him or what he thinks, I suspect his role will be the same at any high major he plays at that has a legit center. Maybe he starts one place and not another but he will play the same role in the end.

If he left because of role, I don't know whet to tell you.
If he left because Duke or some other power player can pay him more, well that's always going to be the case.
If he left because he doesn't think he can have a big role with guys we have here, that says a lot.

Whether the reason for leaving comes down to the coaches or comes down to the player matters a lot. It just does. I don’t see how it wouldn’t.

Maliq is a starting caliber high major, 30+ mpg Forward. If he accepts a role smaller than that somewhere else, then that’s probably a good sign it was about money or something not on-court related. Red gets a pass. If he takes that role at a peer school or better, then it’s a sign he wasn’t going to get a crack at that role here. That’s means somebody was prioritized over him. That means we have to scrutinize that decision.

This is all in the context of evaluating the staff/program during this transition period. Season one is a free pass. This recruiting/portal period right now is when we start determining if we’re building something meaningful or tripping over ourselves.

Last edited:
I understand your point but a replacement for Brown is (and was) easier to attain and less costly than it would have been for Bell. The reason is, as you correctly identify that Bell is elite at the most important skill. Brown is very good but I wouldn't say he is elite at any skill. Brown however doesn't play small forward and it wasn't a simple we can keep Bell or Brown decision.
Bell isn’t a ballhandler, which removes the only difference between SF and PF, as I see it. Donnie is as comfortable on the perimeter as Bell is. Is he as good a shooter? No. Better ballhandler? Maybe; he’s not worse. So Donnie is as much a SF as Bell is, to my eye. That means either guy with Freeman gives us the positional diversity we’d need. If the staff doesn’t think Donnie can play SF, then I’m a little scared.

I don’t know what the Brown replacement is. Lampkin is a Center and Brown is not, so Lampkin wasn’t the replacement. That other Forward transfer we landed does not inspire a lot of confidence and I’d be hard pressed to say he counts as a replacement. He’s as much a replacement as getting a Kia Soul to drive around after you wrecked your Corvette. Yeah, they’re both cars I guess.

Last edited:
Maybe we should lay off mcdonalds all americans that are in our reach because we dont want to risk losing forwards from a non tournament team that rebounded impressively poorly
No one is saying that, but okay.

people need to get over this kid..he doesn't care about syracuse. You shouldn't care about him. Put your energy towards the kids that actually want to be a part of this program.
You’re right, he stayed two years and played out of position getting beat to hell because he hates Syracuse.

this coping is freaking ridiculous.

His skill set isn’t that unique. He shoots 40% from 3, is a negative defender, a negative rebounder and has one move (pump fake and step inside the 3 pt line to shoot a jumper). Is he really that hard to replace? There are dozen players who entered the portal in this last week alone who are 40% shooters.

Live look into how things are going on the hoops side right now:

jack nicholson nod GIF

Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

I in no way see Malik playing in the NBA. I hope he can and makes a ton of money. By all accounts, a great kid. But I sure don't see an NBA player when I watch him play.
The typical NBA forward today, stretches the floor and can make the 3 point shot, which isn't Maliq. But, there are also a lot of rotational/bench forwards who do not fit that role but brings to the table other skills and have a high IQ and understanding of the game and do not hurt the team. For example, Andre Jackson is a wing player who is documented as putting on a horrible shooting performance during his workouts for NBA teams yet teams were intrigued by his other skills. A wing player like Jackson is generally drafted as a 3 and D guy, but has proven the 3 part can be overlooked if there is added value in other areas.

Bell isn’t a ballhandler, which removes the only difference between SF and PF, as I see it. Donnie is as comfortable on the perimeter as Bell is. Is he as good a shooter? No. Better ballhandler? Maybe; he’s not worse. So Donnie is as much a SF as Bell is, to my eye. That means either guy with Freeman gives us the positional diversity we’d need. If the staff doesn’t think Donnie can play SF, then I’m a little scared.

I don’t know what the Brown replacement is. Lampkin is a Center and Brown is not, so Lampkin wasn’t the replacement. That other Forward transfer we landed does not inspire a lot of confidence and I’d be hard pressed to say he counts as a replacement. He’s as much a replacement as getting a Kia Soul to drive around after you wrecked your Corvette. Yeah, they’re both cars I guess.

If Bell had left Red would have been paying out to get the best SF we could who was an elite shooter. Any other combination of front court players doesn't provide that. Its not a choice of Bell a SF or Brown a PF. Its a choice of we only have one elite shooter and we are trying to upgrade our shooting. Its a choice of we want a big center who can score in the post not an undermanned PF. That's how I view it.

I find it comical when people say all Bell can do is shoot! Are you serious? He may be the most elite shooter in college basketball. Have him play with a post player next year and people will see how dominating he can be. We had ZERO inside offensive presence last year. Teams could just face guard him all over the court and ignore both Brown and Taylor. No one worried about Copeland’s shooting either. No one took over games like Bell did last year when he was getting shots. He should get plenty of them next year. Next to maybe Freeman, Bell is the most draftable player on the roster. Elite shooters are given every possible opportunity to play in the NBA. Just see Buddy and Cole Swider and Bell is more athletic than both of them. People need to stop this all Bell can do is shoot. If you haven’t noticed, the better teams are great offensive teams. Great offense can out-due great defenses.

If Bell had left Red would have been paying out to get the best SF we could who was an elite shooter. Any other combination of front court players doesn't provide that. Its not a choice of Bell a SF or Brown a PF. Its a choice of we only have one elite shooter and we are trying to upgrade our shooting. Its a choice of we want a big center who can score in the post not an undermanned PF. That's how I view it.

I’d be on board with this if we had a track record of elite shooters helping us win. Andrew White was elite. He didn’t help us win. Buddy Boeheim was elite. People refer to his tenure as the worst Syracuse basketball in the history of Syracuse basketball.

The difference between Bell and Maliq this past season was Bell scored 3 more points per game on 4 more shots. They played similar minutes. Brown did everything else significantly better, except turnover rate, while playing out of position.

Maliq was more than just a putback dunk guy and I was looking forward to seeing him get more shots up. On very low volume, admittedly, he did show some ability to shoot threes competently. Donnie Freeman is able to hit threes. Neither are Bell-level, but Bell isn’t them-level, at least not Brown-level, at any of the other basketball stuff.

If the staff thinks we need Bell’s shooting above all else, then time will tell if they’re right. I’m clearly skeptical.

"This might be a hot take, but I’d prefer Brown and Freeman over Bell and Freeman."

bell is either 7-8 or 0-8. wildly inconsistent. and when he's cold you're going down.
compound that with his lack of defensive effort...give me maliq at the 4 ! major loss for the cuse. is freeman better ? ain't proved it yet. shoulda let them battle it out. or play both .

Last edited:
I find it comical when people say all Bell can do is shoot! Are you serious? He may be the most elite shooter in college basketball. Have him play with a post player next year and people will see how dominating he can be. We had ZERO inside offensive presence last year. Teams could just face guard him all over the court and ignore both Brown and Taylor. No one worried about Copeland’s shooting either. No one took over games like Bell did last year when he was getting shots. He should get plenty of them next year. Next to maybe Freeman, Bell is the most draftable player on the roster. Elite shooters are given every possible opportunity to play in the NBA. Just see Buddy and Cole Swider and Bell is more athletic than both of them. People need to stop this all Bell can do is shoot. If you haven’t noticed, the better teams are great offensive teams. Great offense can out-due great defenses.
Fans are skeptical of Bell because his shooting is all standstill off the catch. Look at the kid who torched UK in the tournament running all over the court. Bell cannot do that. If he could there would be less skepticism.

You find it comical when people say all Bell can do is shoot, then proceed to write a paragraph explaining he can shoot real well.

Let’s hope.

Most elite shooter in college basketball?
He is a really good shooter, but best in college basketball. Stop with the hyperbole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom