Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

The typical NBA forward today, stretches the floor and can make the 3 point shot, which isn't Maliq. But, there are also a lot of rotational/bench forwards who do not fit that role but brings to the table other skills and have a high IQ and understanding of the game and do not hurt the team. For example, Andre Jackson is a wing player who is documented as putting on a horrible shooting performance during his workouts for NBA teams yet teams were intrigued by his other skills. A wing player like Jackson is generally drafted as a 3 and D guy, but has proven the 3 part can be overlooked if there is added value in other areas.
Okay I love Maliq but comparing him to Andre Jackson is crazy. Jackson is one of the best athletes in the NBA and literally dominated games in college without being able to shoot.

I can't think of a good comparison for Maliq in the league.

Okay I love Maliq but comparing him to Andre Jackson is crazy. Jackson is one of the best athletes in the NBA and literally dominated games in college without being able to shoot.

I'm not saying he's an NBA player, but there was definitely NBA chatter by scouts on twitter late in the season here. I never thought he was a finished product here as some claim and has the ability to score more/become a knockdown shooter if he works at it.

Maliq shot 36.8% from 3 last year on a small sample of 7/19. I think he will stay at that or do better. If he does that, he will be a candidate for POY in the ACC. The guy does everything well, he is that good.

Last edited:
Yeah. We'll never root for these guys like we rooted for Leo Rautins, Wes Johnson, Michael Gbinije, Andrew White, John Gillen or JJ Starling. "When you're a jet, you're a jet all the way!"
occasional transfer into a team with an established core of multi-year players vs complete roster overhauls year over year. the enjoyment of college bball has been sucked out from me and most. In the words of McCoy. “He’s dead Jim”.

With Stewart and Power both top forward recruits last year leaving Duke, sure sounds like it’s making room for MaliQ. Some Duke fans were upset that neither got much chance last year to play and they thought they were stiffed and worried that they would leave because of their pursuit of Brown. They were right.

Grown men in here actually letting their day to day emotions be effect by Maliq brown transferring is actually hilarious. Turn off the phones people there’s a beautiful world outside.
Only to be surpassed by one who logs into a message board to scold the grown men and tell them how they should feel and how they should live their lives.

Btw. I have no idea if brown is actually transferring to Duke or not. Nor do I care.

So do we know who the Duke connection was? He was staying until suddenly he wasn't and I am pretty sure Duke was first and only visit. It would be interesting to know the linkage there.

Draymond Green?

occasional transfer into a team with an established core of multi-year players vs complete roster overhauls year over year. the enjoyment of college bball has been sucked out from me and most. In the words of McCoy. “He’s dead Jim”.

If Lampkin dunks over Brown next year, you'll be cheering.

Someone posted before I did that Stewart, a 5 star power forward along with TJ Power are both in the portal. I'm sure this is because of Maliq's imminent arrival to Duke. Maliq will shine at Duke and could potentially make an NBA roster. He is not a lock but certainly has a chance like Buddy, Cole and other marginal NBA players coming out of Cuse to land a 2 way and take it from there. His chances of doing better than a 2 way is better because of, sorry to say, Duke's better reputation.

Someone posted before I did that Stewart, a 5 star power forward along with TJ Power are both in the portal. I'm sure this is because of Maliq's imminent arrival to Duke. Maliq will shine at Duke and could potentially make an NBA roster. He is not a lock but certainly has a chance like Buddy, Cole and other marginal NBA players coming out of Cuse to land a 2 way and take it from there. His chances of doing better than a 2 way is better because of, sorry to say, Duke's better reputation.

Buddy and Cole got two way deals because they can shoot it.

we're getting beat in the portal game. plus/minus don't look good so far. chance of maliq brown in conference ...worse case scenario . we are now reliant upon unknowns .

Last edited:
Another telling thing about this era - I'm willing to bet most of the Syracuse players are thrilled for Maliq that he'll play for Duke, whereas the old guard - guys like Devo - would have nothing to do with you if you transferred to an in-conference foe (listen to his podcast on the portal).

The rationalizing in this thread is *chef’s kiss*

He can start for the #1 team pre season in the country but but but but but but…

I've tried to stay out of this discussion, due to my disappointment about Brown's departure, and the fact that he's my favorite player on the team these past two years.

But I think some of it has to do with some posters not recognizing what he brought to the table, and how unique his skill set was. He's a unicorn. An amazingly versatile player, who passes much better than a big man should be able to, defends in a unique way for a player his size, and has a preternatural hoops IQ that always allowed him to think one step ahead and be in the right place at the right time.

The trap that a lot of posters seem to fall into is looking at him and saying -- eh, he only scored ~9.5 ppg -- that's replaceable. Or concentrating on him not being ideal for a center in certain situational matchups. Or look at incoming Freeman, and rationalize that we're better off with him at the 4 than Maliq anyway.

But when I look at those advanced stats on BOTH sides of the ball...

When you watch the kid play and see how impactful he is, doing things that most big men can't...

I just don't think that many fans recognize what a unique talent Maliq was. I mean, this season he accomplished something that's only been done in the NBA something like 10 times in the last 25 years. Maliq's skills set is so different, so diversified, so unusual, that people under-value the package.

Sickens me that he's potentially going to be bringing those skill sets to Duke. As I said when the announcement first came out that he'd entered the portal, he could start for any team in the country -- and he's the type of player who might not be a team's focal point, but who could elevate a contending team and put them over the top. And that appears to be how things are playing out.

Sickening.

Last edited:
Another telling thing about this era - I'm willing to bet most of the Syracuse players are thrilled for Maliq that he'll play for Duke, whereas the old guard - guys like Devo - would have nothing to do with you if you transferred to an in-conference foe (listen to his podcast on the portal).
The rivalries for today's players is not the same as years gone by. Blame it on college sports becoming more and more lucrative each year and every player, no matter of ranking, believing that they should be playing more and can make it to the NBA, also NIL. Fans and analysts can tout the old rivalries to stir up excitement but todays players could care less.

Last edited:
I've tried to stay out of this discussion, due to my disappointment about Brown's departure, and the fact that he's my favorite player on the team these past two years.

But I think some of it has to do with some posters not recognizing what he brought to the table, and how unique his skill set was. He's a unicorn. An amazingly versatile player, who passes much better than a big man should be able to, defends in a unique way for a player his size, and has a preternatural hoops IQ that always allowed him to think one step ahead and be in the right place at the right time.

The trap that a lot of posters seem to fall into is looking at him and saying -- eh, he only scored ~9.5 ppg -- that's replaceable. Or concentrating on him not being ideal for a center in certain situational matchups. Or look at incoming Freeman, and rationalize that we're better off with him at the 4 than Maliq anyway.

When you watch the kid play and see how impactful he is, doing things that most big men can't...

I just don't think that people recognize what a unique talent Maliq was. I mean, this season he accomplished something that's only been done in the NBA something like 10 times in the last 25 years. Maliq's skills set is so different, so diversified, so unusual, that people under-value the package.

Sickens me that he's potentially going to be bringing those skill sets to Duke. As I said when the announcement first came out that he'd entered the portal, he could start for any team in the country -- and he's the type of player who might not be a team's focal point, but who could elevate a contending team and put them over the top. And that appears to be how things are playing out.

Sickening.
No doubt, he's Batman. Watch him kill it from 3, the guys got the golden touch.

I just don't think that people recognize what a unique talent Maliq was. I mean, this season he accomplished something that's only been done in the NBA something like 10 times in the last 25 years. Maliq's skills set is so different, so diversified, so unusual, that people under-value the package.

Sickening.
Scheyer has seen up close how Maliq has grown over 2 seasons and impressively this past year, holding his own against Filipowski. Allowing Stewart and Power to walk and realizing his unique skills will fare well with a generational player like Flagg, says a lot. We should have assured Maliq that we would get a competent center so that he could be our starting power forward with unlimited minutes. Freeman should have been told that he will get substantive minutes playing both forward positions and could get additional minutes when we play positionless basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom