Maliq Brown | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played 27 minutes last night. He’s earned 6th man and probably should supplant BW in the starting lineup but either way I see his minutes increasing to the 25-33 range. He’s probably been the most consistent player, he’s pretty steady.

Last edited:
He was shutting down and trapping guys on defense. He followed bad shots and had multiple offensive rebounds. He would have more points and assists if our guys weren't hacked every possession. He needs to be out there most of the game. Edwards also avoids bad fouls because Brown is better on defense

He played 27 minutes last night. He’s earned 6th man and probably should supplant BW in the starting lineup but either way I see his minutes increasing to the 25-33 range. He’s probably been the most consistent player, he’s pretty steady.
I hope that whatever limit on his minutes was, it was related to his sore hip and not because he's not ready. Minutes are trending up, but they've mostly only have come against the non-P5 opponents.

I hope that whatever limit on his minutes was, it was related to his sore hip and not because he's not ready. Minutes are trending up, but they've mostly only have come against the non-P5 opponents.

non-P5 opponents is all we've played lately. 27 minutes in a conference game. 6pts 9 boards.

He absolutely should start and it isn't close. He got his minutes yesterday. Showed he could be physical, score, distribute and rebound. I don't think he will start but he will come off the bench quicker and quicker. Maybe JAB will surprise me.

My guess, and only a guess, is that Jim sees him as being closer to a finished product in terms of skills and abilities and sees the other two as having higher ceilings which he hopes they can achieve by being force fed playing time.
Brown and JT seem ready for the moment, not so much Bell. (I am still on the fence about Benny).

I get why JB is starting Benny and Bell.

Benny is a former 5-star, and he's had a year in the program -- even though he barely played last year and was essentially completely inexperienced heading into the season. He's a 'tweener forward in the sense that he really isn't a PF, but also doesn't have the skills needed to be a SF. But by starting him, you hopefully let him play his way through mistakes to gain experience, and he "feels" better as a starter instead of being relegated to the pine. In other words, JB is giving him every opportunity to actualize his potential, even though his production isn't what you'd expect from a former 5-star recruit.

Bell offers shooting, and we have a perimeter-challenged roster, so that skill brings value. Problem is, if he doesn't hit some shots, he rarely contributes in other ways, and is a liability.

If you pull either of them from the starting lineup, you risk losing their focus -- and setting wheels in motion for a probable transfer.

But the problem is, Brown is better. So it's a dilemma.

I get why JB is starting Benny and Bell.

Benny is a former 5-star, and he's had a year in the program -- even though he barely played last year and was essentially completely inexperienced heading into the season. He's a 'tweener forward in the sense that he really isn't a PF, but also doesn't have the skills needed to be a SF. But by starting him, you hopefully let him play his way through mistakes to gain experience, and he "feels" better as a starter instead of being relegated to the pine. In other words, JB is giving him every opportunity to actualize his potential, even though his production isn't what you'd expect from a former 5-star recruit.

Bell offers shooting, and we have a perimeter-challenged roster, so that skill brings value. Problem is, if he doesn't hit some shots, he rarely contributes in other ways, and is a liability.

If you pull either of them from the starting lineup, you risk losing their focus -- and setting wheels in motion for a probable transfer.

But the problem is, Brown is better. So it's a dilemma.
Today in college sports everyones transfer wheels are in rapid motion no matter what the playing time situation is. Might as well say screw it and play the best guys for the situation at all times. I am still keeping the (relative) faith in Benny and Bell as both have shown improvements as the season has gone on. Also do not think a 13 minute game from each of them is the best time to argue for their demotion. At times this season, JB has taken them out after bad starts and then they have gone back in and redeemed themselves. But they still are not the sound decision makers that Brown is and I don't see them catching up to him in that category. However you do it, Brown needs at least 20-25 mins.

Momentum is growing for Brown to start. The performances from the forwards are not even close. In the Pitt post game presser JB lauded Brown and said unkind things about the others. Since he recognizes this publicly if he does not start Brown he should certainly garner a lions share of minutes at forward if he really believes what he told us. Brown needs to start right now and it is not a even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom