march 2024 | Syracusefan.com

march 2024

We have a very tough schedule. Between Hawaii, Oregon, G-town and the SEC game, 3-3 might be very good. That means 8-3 at best on the OOC games. That puts you on the bubble heading in to the ACC 20 games.
If they are good wins and losses it won’t matter. Plenty of schools make the tournament with double digit losses. We’ve been penalized because the ACC has been garbage.

We need the ACC to have a strong non-con performance so we’re playing higher NETs all year. Also we need to start strong so we don’t enter conference play with a bad NET and then struggle to climb if the ACC starts weak. With our non-con schedule we have an opportunity to be ranked early, but this team may need time to gel.

We have a very tough schedule. Between Hawaii, Oregon, G-town and the SEC game, 3-3 might be very good. That means 8-3 at best on the OOC games. That puts you on the bubble heading in to the ACC 20 games.
I think the tough schedule is going to pay dividends for us, assuming we take care of business against the weaker parts of the schedule.

Collecting good OOC wins matters, and we have a lot of opportunities for that. The losses won't be held against us unless we lose almost all of them, which, if that happens the story is probably already written on the season anyway.

I think the tough schedule is going to pay dividends for us, assuming we take care of business against the weaker parts of the schedule.

Collecting good OOC wins matters, and we have a lot of opportunities for that. The losses won't be held against us unless we lose almost all of them, which, if that happens the story is probably already written on the season anyway.

With all the new faces and new systems being implemented on both sides of the ball, this would have been an opportune summer to have an international summer tour. Oh well...

Judah's return putting us squarely on the bubble shows just how far we had fallen. The return of a late 2nd round pick causing people to get weak in the knees. We need Red to be great...fast.
How about a guy who averaged 16 and 4.5 assists as a freshman? Who gives a crap about the league in this context?

Judah's return putting us squarely on the bubble shows just how far we had fallen. The return of a late 2nd round pick causing people to get weak in the knees. We need Red to be great...fast.
We are likely starting 4 former top 50 HS players. Outside of Duke and UNC there's probably not another school that can say that in the conference.

It doesnt just put us on the bubble though. This team has a ton of untapped potential that if everything clicks could probably get into that 3-6 seed come tourney time. There are also a lot of question marks that could lead us to the NIT but I think everyone is just happy to finally be able to dream big again. That really wasnt possible since probably the year Battle decided to come back and unfortunately that year didnt go as expected.

We need to play well and etch out a few good wins in that stretch. Unfortunately we have a lot of new parts that have to gel. Look at Melo’s first game.
HE HAD 26 PTS?

Given the cuse fan version of ptsd the past 9 years I think there is a lot of hedging going on here regarding where we will be as a team next year. Honestly it's to be expected given how seasons have been railroaded early on.

I think we will snag more than one pelt for the non conference in Maui and have momentum to work with. I also expect that we do much better against teams we should beat both non conference and in conference and that in conference we may take a few lumps against good teams while this group is truly learning to win and then start picking steam back up with a few more wins over equal or better teams to finish out with a decent seed in the tourney guessing 5-8.

The ceiling is high enough for a protected seed as well. Time will tell on that. Lots to look forward to.

Given the cuse fan version of ptsd the past 9 years I think there is a lot of hedging going on here regarding where we will be as a team next year. Honestly it's to be expected given how seasons have been railroaded early on.

I think we will snag more than one pelt for the non conference in Maui and have momentum to work with. I also expect that we do much better against teams we should beat both non conference and in conference and that in conference we may take a few lumps against good teams while this group is truly learning to win and then start picking steam back up with a few more wins over equal or better teams to finish out with a decent seed in the tourney guessing 5-8.

The ceiling is high enough for a protected seed as well. Time will tell on that. Lots to look forward to.
This is a team that finally has a chance at the end of the year to knock everyone out in the ACC tournament.
For the first time in many years we should have the depth to win games.

All in.

Really hope Red can coach [trying to be optimistic, but we'll see]. We've loaded back up on athletes.

I hope we tomahawk-dunk the sheet out of colgate as we run them out of the building... oh, wait... conveniently, we don't play colgate next year!

Last edited:
now that mintz is back we dancing??
Anything less is a pretty sizable failure. We need to recalibrate expectations. I don't care that this is Red's first season. Mintz/Starling gives us a floor even with questions in the frontcourt. On paper the team should be darkhorsing to win the conference. At worst I expect us to be a borderline ranked team that is comfortably in the tournament

Admittedly my opinion is worth bear whiz, but I think we start hot and stay hot. Red clearly is attractive to kids as a head coach. They’ll be motivated as will the coaches. There will be a lot of emotion at play and think that will play well for us. With two full teams and conditioning, we can run and still not be gassed at the end. Overall, games are won on the court and we should at least be competitive. That’s the fun for fans, or at least for this fan. I’m psyched…

P.S. “Bear whiz beer…it’s in the water son, that’s why it’s yellow”.

Last edited:
I think our ACC play gets us in pretty easily. The league isn't that tough. Question is can we get through the non conference gauntlet to be playing games as a ranked team.

Good chance we aren't ready in November and like last years team are out of the tournament before ACC play begins but I don't expect that to happen. I like our players and coach.

Our NET should be very good at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom