Marek Dolezaj | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

A big part of that was that it was going to be a class that would have more time under Hop than JB and would be a litmus test for how the programs appeal would hold up in the new regime.

While I know we are up in arms right now I think the program largely passed that test. We were very rarely going to beat UK and Duke before and we didn't beat them in 17. Not really any change in that.

Hmmm... not sure that I agree with the sentence highlighted above. This class was also important in terms of replenishing depth [especially on the wings] and helping to build the foundation for the team's long term success. I'm not sure we've accomplished that -- we have three open spots on May 8th, and to date haven't been able to fill holes at key positions. Did we pass the test?

Agree that we aren't going to fare well generally going head-to-head against Duke / UK.

According to Evan Daniels, SU is one of the schools showing interest in the Slovakian star who wants to play college ball in the states. He's 6'9 and says that schools are recruiting him to play SG and SF.

Hi. I'll take Marek, JT, and Sid. Thank you.

I agree. But i dont want to sell this kid too short. I think Dolejaz will be a better shooter than that 29% reflects. People should note the FIBA 3pt line in 22 ft 2 inches compared to the NCAAs 20 ft 9 inch arc. That's makes a significant difference.

And losing out to Duke sucks, but the reality is that's going to happen most of the time given the current landscape. That said, if we get Dolezaj and a grad transfer who can shoot at the 3 do you feel that would be a solid recovery and give us a chance to make the tourny next year?

Personally, I do, and it would also help us a little more with recruiting in 2018.

I hope he is the 6th or 7th man and brings 10-12 minutes of high energy off the bench

Hmmm... not sure that I agree with the sentence highlighted above. This class was also important in terms of replenishing depth [especially on the wings] and helping to build the foundation for the team's long term success. I'm not sure we've accomplished that -- we have three open spots on May 8th, and to date haven't been able to fill holes at key positions. Did we pass the test?

Agree that we aren't going to fare well generally going head-to-head against Duke / UK.

The test I think we passed was the program appeal post Boeheim test. Because we did get two guys in Brisset and Sidibe who are they type of players we typically got under JB and we were in the final running for several other highly ranked guys. The only thing that really went off the rails was QG (and now possibly JT). But losing guys to UK and Duke isn't a trend down for our program, it is status quo for the most part. Is our roster in a great condition, no, but that is not because the program has lost appeal. That is what I meant by "passing the test."

The test I think we passed was the program appeal post Boeheim test. Because we did get two guys in Brisset and Sidibe who are they type of players we typically got under JB ...
I can agree with that.

Great question.

Dolezaj reminds me of a poor man's Andrei Kirilenko. I think he'd be a great add, just not sure that he'd be a contributor as fast as Tucker.
Dolezaj looks like a Corey Brewer to me. A rail thin 6'9" kid that attacks the rim hard. Brewer could hit open 3's, but wasn't a volume shooter. This kid doesn't look like he'll be a great shooter with that funky form, but could be a good shooter if left open.

My biggest worry is the transition to the US/college game and how he's able to understand JB's zone. I find it hard to believe he'd be an immediate contribute because of those outside factors, but ya never know.

I can agree with that.
They may fit the profile as raw athletes with considerable upside, but most JB teams also depend on some higher profile talents. And regardless of how it happened, the staff has flamed out in that department.

Dolezaj looks like a Corey Brewer to me. A rail thin 6'9" kid that attacks the rim hard. Brewer could hit open 3's, but wasn't a volume shooter. This kid doesn't look like he'll be a great shooter with that funky form, but could be a good shooter if left open.

My biggest worry is the transition to the US/college game and how he's able to understand JB's zone. I find it hard to believe he'd be an immediate contribute because of those outside factors, but ya never know.

That's a pretty good comparison, too.

We need a solid PG in the worst way. I can guarantee you this team isn't finishing better than .500 with our current PGs.

I'd love some action on the other side of this guarantee if you or anyone who agrees with this statement are of the betting persuasion. Even odds on $100 to the first taker. I take > .500 if we don't sign another PG. Serious taker only on the other side please. Obviously, if we sign another PG than the bet would be void.

As an aside, if this type of post isn't allowable under site terms and conditions please remove or let me know and I'll remove.

That's a pretty good comparison, too.
I thought Kirilenko was actually closer to 7', but just looked him up 6'9" ~220lb. MD will have add what looks to be about 40 lbs to get to that size! Similar games though, with just attacking the rim and rebounding.

Brewer is currently listed at 6'9", 186 lbs, which is what MD is probably close to. Not too many guys that skinny, without a knockdown outside J, that last in the NBA as long as Brewer has.

I thought Kirilenko was actually closer to 7', but just looked him up 6'9" ~220lb. MD will have add what looks to be about 40 lbs to get to that size! Similar games though, with just attacking the rim and rebounding.

Brewer is currently listed at 6'9", 186 lbs, which is what MD is probably close to. Not too many guys that skinny, without a knockdown outside J, that last in the NBA as long as Brewer has.

Brewer has kicked around for quite a while. He is an above average defender though and he has decent ball skills.

Kirilenko was also an elite shot blocker

Hes the next Elvir.. Elvir V.2

I am nicknaming him EV2.. done and done. Write it down people

Hes the next Elvir.. Elvir V.2

I am nicknaming him EV2.. done and done. Write it down people

Not seeing it. At all.

He's more of a K-Ong style player, gritty, hustle, take it hard to the hole.

Kristof+Ongenaet+East+Tournament+Semifinals+j4wwKzhMTi1l.jpg

Not seeing it. At all.

He's more of a K-Ong style player, gritty, hustle, take it hard to the hole.
I agree, did you see in his highlight video of him diving after a ball that he had no business getting, but he got it. As skinny as this kid is, I don't think he has any issues going hard to the basket and looking for contact. Elvir wanted to hang out at the three point line.

I agree, did you see in his highlight video of him diving after a ball that he had no business getting, but he got it. As skinny as this kid is, I don't think he has any issues going hard to the basket and looking for contact. Elvir wanted to hang out at the three point line.

oslík - is the Czech word for Donkey

Oslík KONG ;)

I'm sure he speaks English, but I'm curious: what is likely to be his primary language? This kid will have a huge adjustment ahead of him, regardless of where he lands.

I'm sure he speaks English, but I'm curious: what is likely to be his primary language? This kid will have a huge adjustment ahead of him, regardless of where he lands.
Or will he be a SU footnote.

Not speaking english is probably a benefit to players under Boeheim. They won't be able to understand his press conferences!

How does that matter in the zone?
From a purely assignment perspective on defense? Not at all. In fact we might be better defensively and a better rebounding team.
I think there is a lot of flexibility with the roster already and with the addition of Thorpe alone there are some answers. A lineup of Howard (Frank or Washington), Thorpe, Battle, Moyer/Brisset, Chukwu/Sidibe can win games in the ACC. If Moyer/Brisset can provide some perimeter offense and play effectively at the 3 Battle plays exclusively at G. If not he fills the SF void leaving a 3 man rotation of combo guards.
Tucker would absolutely solidify things and enable JB to go with a more conventional lineup with set positions. Dolezaj would be an interesting rotational piece but there will be options whatever happens over the next couple of weeks.
My bigger concern is that with the sanctions limiting recruiting and the scramble to complete the '17 class are we falling behind for '18?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom