Mark Richt | Syracusefan.com

Mark Richt

Would you like to have Mark Richt as the HC for Cuse Football?

• Total voters

JCuse

Walk On
I don't know if there was a thread about him or not. What do you guys think?

Here's his resume previous coaching affiliations include 14 years at Florida State University where he served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and one year as offensive coordinator at East Carolina University, and 14 years as head coach at the University of Georgia.
Coaching career: Florida State (graduate assistant), 1985-88; East Carolina (offensive coordinator), 1989; Florida State (quarterbacks), 1990-93; Florida State (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks), 1994-2000; Georgia (head coach), 2001-2015.

Head coaching record: 145-51 overall; 83-37 Southeastern Conference.

Championships: SEC (2), 2002, 2005; SEC East (6), 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2012.

Highlights: Guided Georgia to its first SEC title in 20 years in 2002. ... Finished second in Associated Press rankings after 2007 season. ... 13-2 record vs. state rival Georgia Tech. ... Against Georgia's two biggest SEC rivals, went 10-5 vs. Auburn but 5-10 vs. Florida. ... Two-time SEC coach of the year (2002 and 2005).

Last edited:
Would be a home run hire but SU won't pay for a coach like that, he was making 3.4 at UGA. Personally I think it's crazy not to give him a call and offer him the same salary.

Would be the hire we are all looking for, hence the 100% Yes votes above.

His interview went great at Miami and he may have jumped butch and grego

Per the Miami Herald this morning the Miami job is his if he wants it, BUT the Miami people are in love with Schiano and Schiano gave a great interview per there source. Paper is also reporting Greg already has started getting commitments from assistants to join him should he get the job and has already began researching all of Miami's recruits and the roster.

I would drive him from Athens to Syracuse, but its not going to happen.

richt is not a good fit for miami. that would be a bad decision on both ends.

wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get any job

He's an Alum. In many ways he's the perfect fit

He's an Alum. In many ways he's the perfect fit
he graduated 32 years ago, and has lived in athens for 15 years and is laid-back/faith-based guy. i can't see that being the best fit in miami

I'm sensing Virginia.

And Schiano to Miami.

If UVA lands Richt, that would be a bases loaded bottom of ninth 2 out Grand Slam, and, imo, the best hire any team makes. UVA is a sleeping giant, top academics, gorgeous campus, excellent facilities, and access to solid talent in the NVA and Tidewater areas. It would as big, maybe even bigger, as what Bennett has done for the UVA hoops program.

orangecuse said:
If UVA lands Richt, that would be a bases loaded bottom of ninth 2 out Grand Slam, and, imo, the best hire any team makes. UVA is a sleeping giant, top academics, gorgeous campus, excellent facilities, and access to solid talent in the NVA and Tidewater areas. It would as big, maybe even bigger, as what Bennett has done for the UVA hoops program.

Yep. And if Miami hires someone competent, the ACC might have upgraded across the board.

He is coming off a 9-3 season, and has a terrific career record, he will find a job soon.

He is coming off a 9-3 season, and has a terrific career record, he will find a job soon.
sorry, "get" was the wrong word. don't be surprised if he takes his pay and doesn't coach this year.

sorry, "get" was the wrong word. don't be surprised if he takes his pay and doesn't coach this year.

Not a bad way to go, get paid by uga, get paid to do some broadcasting, and take a year off from the stress of coaching. He will get a good job whenever he wants one.

$$$$
Our FB program has revenue of $41M per year. Our expenses are less than $20M. If we can bring a guy in that has an established recruiting stream in Georgia (we've had several good recruits out of there), I think we'd be foolish not to spend $2M on the guy. We're losing that much on declining ticket sales, alone. I don't think people realize how important it is to upgrade the talent level.