Marrone Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Thoughts

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I finally had a chance to read all of the observations regarding Coach Marrone's time at Syracuse University.

Bees, Jake, Chakha, Mad, Bees and others all made points and observations that really rang true for me.

I think all of you are right in some ways.

I think it's pretty clear that Doug left for a number of reasons.

But I think a lack of patience was maybe the most important reason. I think it's true that he was frustrated by the lack of financial support by donors, the luke warm support in the Dome and his failure to land the key NYC recruits he targeted.

I think he figured out during his third season that the Syracuse fan base is one of the toughest in the USA. We are generally front runners who will only come to see quality opponents - we will fill the Dome only when we are winning a lot, and we do not tend to give large gifts to the Athletic Department.

I wish he had just been a little more patient - that he had given us a bit more time. Because I think that in time with the ACC and with a more consistent winner, he would have seen the fruits of his labor - with the Orange Club - on Saturdays in the Dome and on the recruiting trail. Indeed, with programs like ours it takes more time than with programs like Va Tech or NC State.

He did an outstanding job on the Hill. I will forever be grateful for what he did and I will miss having a pretty stoic but truly confident 6' 5" 280 HC on our sideline - he always gave me the feeling that we have a great school and great program.

Marrone's one area of weakness just happens to the most important in college football - recruiting. He really is solid in all other areas (maybe save for clock management) and excellent in many.

It is quite possible his ceiling was limited because of recruiting. We'll never know.

Marrone's one area of weakness just happens to the most important in college football - recruiting. He really is solid in all other areas (maybe save for clock management) and excellent in many.

It is quite possible his ceiling was limited because of recruiting. We'll never know.
That's correct it's very clear that he wasn't a great recruiter. He's an NFL coach not a college coach. He's very business like and that's not going to work in today's college environment.

You may be correct. But the sadness of that reality is that recruiting weaknesses can be fixed. What if Stan Drayton had stuck around 1-2 years or he added a MacDonald to his staff? We likely wouldn't be talking about the lack of recruiting. Finding coaches who can coach like Marrone are few and far between. Finding coaches who can just recruit like Dabo Swinney are a dime a dozen.

Who did Doug Marrone play for while at Syracuse? Dick MacPherson bled Syracuse Orange. Dick's start here wasn't easy. He succeeded. Guess Mac didn't rub off on Dougie. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I still don't think his recruiting was as bad as everyone is making it out to be. What he lacked in charisma/rah rah type stuff he made up in evaluation. We never had dominated offensive lines until he got here. We have a great stable of RB's, LBers, inteior DL, DB's. WR, and QB is the only thing we seem to be missing, but I think he had a plan at WR, and Zach Allen would have been the qb of the future. We lost out on some quality prospects when he left. And with consistent winning, and the groundwork he had laid in the northeast we were just about to start to reap the rewards.

and depression kicks back in, thanks

Woulda been interesting to see how Marrone teams would look with a recruiter like McD. Sure, he was a great evaluator, but he had to be.

While I still have faith in Shafer, I'm going to miss Marrone's comebacks. We didn't win them all, but seemed like we came back in every game we were losing. Always felt like we had a chance late game.

The guy was a highly regarded, and successful recruiter in the SEC. The lack of success wasn't from lack of effort or ability to target recruits. Adkins, Anselmo, and Shafer were all very good recruiters.

Time and again they lost high level recruits that they were in on early and had great relationships with because of the facilities and the silver on game day and the perception, reinforced by competing schools, that the school didn't support football like it should. Lost a number of kids to Rutgers because of that.

The guy was a highly regarded, and successful recruiter in the SEC. The lack of success wasn't from lack of effort or ability to target recruits. Adkins, Anselmo, and Shafer were all very good recruiters.

Time and again they lost high level recruits that they were in on early and had great relationships with because of the facilities and the silver on game day and the perception, reinforced by competing schools, that the school didn't support football like it should. Lost a number of kids to Rutgers because of that.

I think that's right.

I believe that time will prove that Marrone was a solid recruiter.

Had he stayed, with the ACC and IPF, his recruiting would have continued to improve.

I think that's right.

Had he stayed, with the ACC and IPF, his recruiting would have continued to improve.

If he had stayed, would the IPF really be happening. Seems like it was the shock to the system was the only thing that got it beyond "it's in our plans" stage.

I still don't think his recruiting was as bad as everyone is making it out to be. What he lacked in charisma/rah rah type stuff he made up in evaluation. We never had dominated offensive lines until he got here. We have a great stable of RB's, LBers, inteior DL, DB's. WR, and QB is the only thing we seem to be missing, but I think he had a plan at WR, and Zach Allen would have been the qb of the future. We lost out on some quality prospects when he left. And with consistent winning, and the groundwork he had laid in the northeast we were just about to start to reap the rewards.

and depression kicks back in, thanks

Agree with this. And if we continued to win, my guess is his recruiting would have improved accordingly.

In response to the poster above comparing him to Coach Mac, Mac left too. It happens. Coaches leave...even alums. It's not an indictment of HCDM or his support for SU.

If he had stayed, would the IPF really be happening. Seems like it was the shock to the system was the only thing that got it beyond "it's in our plans" stage.

Good point.

Yes. The board supported it. Had to reach a number on seed money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who did Doug Marrone play for while at Syracuse? Dick MacPherson bled Syracuse Orange. Dick's start here wasn't easy. He succeeded. Guess Mac didn't rub off on Dougie. Just sayin'.
Really? Mac was rolling, then went to the NFL. Seems like he did rub off.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I think that's right.

The one thing I'll say was Marrone was as stubborn a SOB as anyone I have ever known. He absolutely hated losing at anything - games, recruiting battles, anything. Institutions such as Universities move at such a snails pace compared to the vision he had to make SU a winning football were simply incongruent with each other. If he had come back to SU with the IPF already built, I speculate he would have won many of those recruiting battles and eventually games and more.

Really? Mac was rolling, then went to the NFL. Seems like he did rub off.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
Hmm my bad. I guess 10 years back then is equal to 3 years in this day and age. Whatever.

Well said OPA.

Marrone truly disliked recruiting for a variety of reasons that started with having to suck up to kids that were young enough to be his own. He wanted to coach football, not beg a 17 yr old to come play for him. No need to indulge anymore on that though.

At the end of the day, Doug could coach football and I don't think his recruiting classes were all that bad. The jury is still out, but we've already seen quite a few of his kids turn out to be very good.

I miss him on our sidelines, and likely will for some time. Most of you didn't get a chance to know Doug, but I'm telling you that he was a cool guy. Down-to-earth when Cohen or some other dweeb wasn't tweeting his every move. I'm hoping Shafer helps neutralize that lost feeling over time. Doug belongs in the NFL. He gets to coach high-level football, game-plan like the mad scientist he is and not have to deal with convincing/persuading players to come play for him. He will succeed in the NFL, and by that happening, will prove to be another Syracuse success story.

So they suddenly reached that number within a week of crisis in the program.

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, not only did Doug Marrone have the greatest .500 record and losing conference record in college football, he can also be credited for providing the facility on which all of our future success hinges on.

I mean, sure, why not? Let's just name the facility after him and commission a statue. By the way, Doug also is responsible for the Maxwell School's ranking, the creation of Otto the Orange, invented Varsity Pizza's sauce recipe, and fathered Jim Boeheim.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

So, not only did Doug Marrone have the greatest .500 record and losing conference record in college football, he can also be credited for providing the facility on which all of our future success hinges on.

I mean, sure, why not? Let's just name the facility after him and commission a statue. By the way, Doug also is responsible for the Maxwell School's ranking, the creation of Otto the Orange, invented Varsity Pizza's sauce recipe, and fathered Jim Boeheim.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
OK this is totally off topic. Nothing to do with this thread. Your handle reminds me of this song. Back to my punk days. 'Friggin in the Riggin' OK carry on. :)

I think by the time our current Sophmore class reaches their Senior seasons a lot of people perceptions about Marrone's recruiting abilities will have significantly changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom