Marrone Thoughts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Thoughts

You either promote the hot OC to HC or you promote the hot OC at a smaller school to be your OC at a bigger school but GD why hire a position coach to learn on the job. Why? because he can recruit and no other way we get him if we don't promote him but its a bit frustrating having to live with it this year, hopefully it gets better with experience and talent.

Wasn't McDonald an OC at a MAC school?

part of the reason why miss nassib is because we recruit a bunch of NYC qbs who can't throw the ball to save their life
You miss Nassib?
tumblr_mpsd1oCp1C1qix8i5o1_500.gif

I don't buy for 1 second that when Marrone took the SU job that he had any thought at all of being an NFL head coach.

I don't think that's true.

No doubt there. But media relations are more than having 1 great one.

He's seems to have an excellent relationship with Rich Cimini, the lead columnist from the Buffalo News is all in. Of the local TV guys, was there an issue? He seemed to get along with Brent Axe.

He's seems to have an excellent relationship with Rich Cimini, the lead columnist from the Buffalo News is all in. Of the local TV guys, was there an issue? He seemed to get along with Brent Axe.

Maybe he cherry picks. But it never seemed the local media was ever happy with his methods and access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I like the focus on finding the next great QB - we have 4 now (unless the last commit goes elsewhere) - one of them hopefully will be the next D McNabb.

4 new factors affecting SU recruiting moving forward that we haven't seen the positive/negative affect yet:

1. Move to ACC
2. New IPF
3. Marginalization of UConn
4. Rutgers level of respect and ability to win in BiG

Last edited:
You're smarter than that. Of course you recruit where you can get the best kids and use assts relationships elsewhere. But there is a reason every SU coach going back to MAC has said our core recruiting area is a 6 hour radius of SU. And that's so one of your selling points is that parents can fairly easily come see their kid play.

Of course, but in this case a Texas coach can hire a few Northeast guys to fill in, hell maybe a DC with those ties, all sorts of ways to fill in. Get the right guy for the job, to run a great O in an indoor stadium. It's too much to ask for, I know. Purely hypothetical, I am not calling for Shafer's head, I actually really like the guy, I just hope he can tweak his staff the right way, I have given up on ever having a productive exciting offense, 1 in 15 years is fine at this point I am so use to it.

At this point being a fan on gameday is secondary to bitching all season via the internet as to how bad this program actually is. After 12 years, its become much more enjoyable

Last edited:
Maybe he cherry picks. But it never seemed the local media was ever happy with his methods and access.

Who is left, Bud, Nolan, the DO kiddies? The Scout/Rivals dopes?

Who is left, Bud, Nolan, the DO kiddies? The Scout/Rivals dopes?

The Skout guys were cool with him...they had a few pretty good sources...
Who else is left...

I just have a really hard time believing the board said no to marrone and then said yes after he left.

it seems much believable that they set some threshold they needed to clear that happened to come after marrone got fed up

it's really hard to believe that the board would've been so shaken by marrone leaving - they wouldn't have taken him for granted that much, they would've heard the rumblings too.

there's also no way that they would've held back the money to force him out.

pretending like he did us some favor is baloney

Never said he deserved credit, just that it looks like a collateral outcome of the event.

That being said I think there was an element of "who's going to hire him" attitude and the fact that he left was a huge surprise.

I think he wasn't extended because the admin, if not Gross, were hedging their bets and wanted to wait to see how the season unfolded, and that really poisioned a relationship that was already going south.

I don't think that's true.

Me either. But then again, I don't know him. Seems hard to believe that he spent that much time in the NFL, earned a promotion to OC, and didn't ever think about wanting to be an NFL head coach one day.

I'm not so sure I'd even believe Marrone himself, if he told me that he never thought/dreamed about being an NFL coach when he got the SU offer.

It's no big deal though, it's the NFL. There are only 32 jobs. How do you turn one down? It doesn't mean you can't coach in college again if it doesn't work out (Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, Riley). Might not work out for Schiano because he's an ahole, but I bet if Chip Kelly doesn't work out with the Eagles, he'd have a college job within minutes. I don't think Marrone would have much trouble either.

Never said he deserved credit, just that it looks like a collateral outcome of the event.

That being said I think there was an element of "who's going to hire him" attitude and the fact that he left was a huge surprise.

I think he wasn't extended because the admin, if not Gross, were hedging their bets and wanted to wait to see how the season unfolded, and that really poisioned a relationship that was already going south.

Bada bing. Marrone's exit at Syracuse had a bigger imprint on SU than his lagged extension paperwork did. He did not trust Gross.

If you're saying Marrone would have been better off hiring a previously successful recruiter with contacts like McDonald than promoting someone who ended up knowing how to run a decent offense then that's an interesting debate.

The OC and HC should be on the same page and I'm sure Hackett wasn't promoted because Marrone felt he was a puppet, I'm sure he had original ideas that he brought to the table. Marrone probably also recognized that he has the personality type that generally attracts recruits.

I don't think that we should just assume that the offense would be having an equally tough time now if Marrone/Hackett hadn't left. My guess is they would have figured out a way to make Loeb/Hunt at least look like Division 1 football players.

That is exactly my point. I absolutely agree that the OC and HC need to be on the same page, especially when the HC was an OC! It is hard not to hire a guy with whom you see eye to eye and choose someone with a different skill set even if you really need that skill set to compliment you.

I don't at all assume anything about the offense with or without Marrone/Hackett. I also remember that our offense pretty much sucked for three of the previous 4 years and was headed for another lousy season when they stumbled on the hurry up after the spring game. I believe that was Hackett's idea to give credit where it seems due.

I don't buy for 1 second that when Marrone took the SU job that he had any thought at all of being an NFL head coach.

I don't think so either but I do think he got disillusioned very soon into his tenure.

I don't think so either but I do think he got disillusioned very soon into his tenure.

That's where I am at too. Cause if he had the ideas that his ultimate destination was the NFL, then the binders and his speech about having made every decision in his career to only get him to SU, was one big lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly my point. I absolutely agree that the OC and HC need to be on the same page, especially when the HC was an OC! It is hard not to hire a guy with whom you see eye to eye and choose someone with a different skill set even if you really need that skill set to compliment you.

I don't at all assume anything about the offense with or without Marrone/Hackett. I also remember that our offense pretty much sucked for three of the previous 4 years and was headed for another lousy season when they stumbled on the hurry up after the spring game. I believe that was Hackett's idea to give credit where it seems due.
The offense wasnt perfect but it was light years better than it is now except for Year 1. Year 2 we had the dramatic Pinstripe Bowl explosion on K State...we beat WVU on the road who was ranked and we hung 31 on Cincy who was considered good. Year 3 we dipped but we still won games scoring in the 30s against Wake, a solid Toledo team and Tulane...and of course we routed WVU with 49 points.

sorry to rant but i (like many on this board) are concerend that we are heading down a dark tunnel and we dont know if its bright lights and bowl trips (i dont care about ACC titles...i simply want to enjoy the home games like i did the previous 4 years win or lose) still in our future or if its Greg Robinson all over again...the 70 yards of passing looks kinda familiar and brutally hard to watch

maroon was a .500 coach here . 11-17 in conference and what... about a 70 for average national ranking. don't think we'll see a statue or even a waterfountain to honor his tenure on the hill.

BUT THE RECRUITING TERRITORY!!!! NORTHEAST TIES!! because there is so much great talent in the northeast

in regards to the NFL and their current rosters. PA and NJ are both in the top 8, while NY is at 17. Ohio is around 10

maroon was a .500 coach here . 11-17 in conference and what... about a 70 for average national ranking. don't think we'll see a statue or even a waterfountain to honor his tenure on the hill.

Good lord you would think by this point it wouldn't have to be explained that he started with a program that was one of the worst in D-1. What exactly would be reasonable to expect with that starting point?

A lot of posters have been saying that Greg Robinson was a good recruiter because some of his players turned out to pretty good- during the next regime and so far Doug's recruits don't look as good. Shouldn't we wait until the same stage in their careers to judge Doug's recruits? People are comparing a senior Ryan Nassib to a sophomore Terrel Hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom