Maryland back to the ACC? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland back to the ACC?

I'd be willing to bet the ACC would be interested.

It's funny how self-interest can win out over old grudges. (e.g. The US, Germany and Japan)
Well, maybe. But the reparations will be a joy to behold. ;)

The ACC's conundrum is that it needs one or two more programs like OSU, UM, PSU, etc, to reach B1G $$$ which is why the fantasy was always ND (full) and PSU. But that is fool's gold. Maryland just isn't a "must have" anymore despite its market. When we first joined the ACC I thought we would establish a great hate-hate rivalry for the ages with them over time across all sports but it just wasn't meant to be.

Cheers,
Neil

I had high hopes for a UMCP - SU mini-rivalry.

Maryland always hoped their rival in the ACC would be Duke, but everyone knew that would never happen. Virginia was a candidate but it takes two to tango and UVA always looked down their nose at Maryland.

Both SU and Maryland draw huge proportions of their students from New York and New Jersey. And we were frequently evenly matched in football, basketball and lacrosse.

And an SU v. UMCP rIvalry would have driven the Hoya fans bonkers which is to me a good enough reason right there.

The OP thinks the world revolves around the DC metro area.

The OP thinks the world revolves around the DC metro area.

Well, the subject of the Post was the University of Maryland which is located in the DC Metro area. Seemed like a good place to start. I couldn't find any articles about the situation in the Dallas Morning News or the LA Times.

Would be interesting to see the financial analysis of inviting Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G and current post mortem of that decision.
They’re bringing the NYC and DC markets.

Tom's post is right on ... there's blood on lots of hands at UMD. Loh's on his way out, thankfully, and Yow hasn't been there since 2010 (after a public feud with Gary WIlliams). The only thing Yow was good at was the budget, not much else (the culture, hiring, etc..). Anderson, Damon Evans drove the school into the red, and the only bailout was the B1G. Since then instead of trying to build something the right way, they've expected too much from the players and/or blamed them for the administrative mess the school has allowed to fester.

No coach in his right mind would take over this dumpster fire .. which tells you why they hired Durkin in the first place.

Tom's post is right on ... there's blood on lots of hands at UMD. Loh's on his way out, thankfully, and Yow hasn't been there since 2010 (after a public feud with Gary WIlliams). The only thing Yow was good at was the budget, not much else (the culture, hiring, etc..). Anderson, Damon Evans drove the school into the red, and the only bailout was the B1G. Since then instead of trying to build something the right way, they've expected too much from the players and/or blamed them for the administrative mess the school has allowed to fester.

No coach in his right mind would take over this dumpster fire .. which tells you why they hired Durkin in the first place.

From what I read, the people on the other side of the argument from the Board of Regents are definitely not fans of big time college football.

When the dust setles on this, Maryland will be less competitive and not more.

Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State are in their conference.

Any more questions?
So is Rutgers, but it hasn't killed anyone there. Point is, the player was mistreated because an insensitive coach was doing a poor job, not because they were in a tougher conference.

My understanding of all this is that Yow caused their financial problems due to the disastrous decision to expand the stadium. Leaving the total lack of esthetics aside for the moment, the story we heard at UVa was that she hand-picked a committee to advise her on the expansion. They unanimously recommended that she not do it. She did it anyway. And once their doldrums set in when they got rid of Ralph "The Fridge" Friedgen, they couldn't pay their debt service and had to start borrowing from the academic side. Then, once she was esconced at NCSU, she started criticizing UMd's decision to leave for the B1G.

After seeing Maryland fleeing back to the ACC (if this were to happen), do you really think another ACC school would be anxious to take their place as butt boy for OSU, UM and PSU?

Maryland and it's location in DC is good for Notre Dame.

I can't imagine Maryland is ND's top choice.

As for any other school leaving, first and foremost you have to consider the situation. You'd be forcing the B1G's hand in finding a replacement, thus re-starting the carousel. You'd be doing so without weakening the B1G much, if at all. You'd be doing so without strengthening the ACC very much. Now, you're the B1G, you make a short list of schools you're interested in... And you have 13 schools so you can add 1 or 3.

That list is going to include at least a few ACC schools and Notre Dame, Texas and Oklahoma, and a couple Pac-12 schools.

I think the upside of adding Maryland to the ACC is minimal, and when you think through the potential downside it's massive. You go from a situation where you can welcome in ND and their pick for #16, versus being stuck on 15 members, while the B1G can add ND and two schools they're happy with.

I think that adding Maryland to the ACC right now would significantly decrease the odds of ever getting ND, increase the odds of the B1G getting ND, and increase the odds (from currently near 0) that the ACC gets aggressively raided.

If all you're counting on is ACC schools not wanting to repeat Maryland's mistake, you've gotta ask yourself how confident you are that:

1. They'll turn down the money.
2. They'll think they can't compete. (And they might be, for example, Florida State.)

The ACC's next expansion move needs to be ND+, and/or significantly increase the per-school value of their contracts so that they can solidify themselves against future raids from the SEC or B1G. Maryland does not help with any of that, unless somehow ND says "Yeah, sure, us and Maryland, sounds good!"

Aside from Feinstein’s columns, to me the Washington Post has the worst sports columnists in the nation. You’ll get less insight into sports from this gaggle of second and third raters then you would get from reading the back of the Cheerios box on the breakfast table. (They are also prone to let the rest of the paper’s political bias leak into their sports columns.)

But Barry Svrluga actually hit the nail on the head today voicing some surprising truths about the Maryland football coaching fiasco and about the school’s decision to leave the ACC and enter the B1G and the role of this decision in the death of the Maryland football player.

But when Maryland announced they were leaving the ACC the Post’s sports columnists were 100% supportive voicing the school’s PR BS about the wonderful opportunity.

Some year’s later, Svrluga identifies it for what it aways was, a “money grab” that put the school’s teams up against powerhouses they couldn’t possible compete with.

Durkin was charged with the near impossible task of competing with Ohio State and Michigan. His methods were bad and produced the death of a player.

Maryland might just figure out they cannot now and are extremely unlikely to ever compete in the B1g. The logical thing to do would be to call the ACC up and say, “Let’s talk”.

From Barry Svrluga in the Washington Post:

“Loh, along with former athletic director Kevin Anderson, pushed Maryland away from that solid, steady base by yanking the school from the ACC to the Big Ten. This was a money grab, nothing short of it, a move that shoved to the side generations of tradition and history because Jim Delany, the Big Ten commissioner/con-artist, promised more cash. Never mind that the idea of driving through Beltway traffic to see Purdue on a Tuesday night in January was, nebulously, not as attractive as enduring the same commute to see, say, N.C. State. The money mattered, and Loh went for it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...5bb7e2-dd78-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html
My view is if they can’t make it there they ain’t making it here either. AAC for them.

My view is if they can’t make it there they ain’t making it here either. AAC for them.

If it were only football to consider you might have a point.

Maryland is a second tier ACC school trapped in the B1G.

They are at a crossroads. When they start looking at what it’s going to take to be competitive in the B1G they are going to have to rethink their strategy.

Their fan base doesn’t want to be in the Big Ten.

If it were only football to consider you might have a point.

Maryland is a second tier ACC school trapped in the B1G.

They are at a crossroads. When they start looking at what it’s going to take to be competitive in the B1G they are going to have to rethink their strategy.

Their fan base doesn’t want to be in the Big Ten.
It’s doesn’t matter what their fanbase thinks.
The AD was in the deep red fiscally and to stay afloat and not drop varsity sports they soldout to the Big Ten.
They are buying into the Big Ten Network and full credit status within the Big Ten.
They may miss UVA, UNC, and Duke but they are gone.
Maryland sold out for the money. They are gone.

I can't imagine Maryland is ND's top choice.

As for any other school leaving, first and foremost you have to consider the situation. You'd be forcing the B1G's hand in finding a replacement, thus re-starting the carousel. You'd be doing so without weakening the B1G much, if at all. You'd be doing so without strengthening the ACC very much. Now, you're the B1G, you make a short list of schools you're interested in... And you have 13 schools so you can add 1 or 3.

That list is going to include at least a few ACC schools and Notre Dame, Texas and Oklahoma, and a couple Pac-12 schools.

I think the upside of adding Maryland to the ACC is minimal, and when you think through the potential downside it's massive. You go from a situation where you can welcome in ND and their pick for #16, versus being stuck on 15 members, while the B1G can add ND and two schools they're happy with.

I think that adding Maryland to the ACC right now would significantly decrease the odds of ever getting ND, increase the odds of the B1G getting ND, and increase the odds (from currently near 0) that the ACC gets aggressively raided.

If all you're counting on is ACC schools not wanting to repeat Maryland's mistake, you've gotta ask yourself how confident you are that:

1. They'll turn down the money.
2. They'll think they can't compete. (And they might be, for example, Florida State.)

The ACC's next expansion move needs to be ND+, and/or significantly increase the per-school value of their contracts so that they can solidify themselves against future raids from the SEC or B1G. Maryland does not help with any of that, unless somehow ND says "Yeah, sure, us and Maryland, sounds good!"

If the B1G had any chance of getting Texas and Oklahoma, Rutgers and Maryland sure as Hell would have never been invited.

Independent of what ND does, Maryland is a perfect fit for the ACC. I’d prefer the, to boot Louisville.

If the B1G had any chance of getting Texas and Oklahoma, Rutgers and Maryland sure as Hell would have never been invited.

Independent of what ND does, Maryland is a perfect fit for the ACC. I’d prefer the, to boot Louisville.
Maryland is valuable to the Big Ten than Oklahoma.
Big Ten expansion has been about population for expansion of BTN on cable boxes.
Maryland was chosen because it has a good sized population, near a big city Washington DC and would give the BTN automatic status on the basic cable tier in MD and give the Big Ten profits.
It’s why Rutgers was chosen as well because of NJ and NYC getting BTN on basic cable tier. Rutgers didn’t get NYC it was Fox buying the YES network and leveraging the Yankees with the BTN.

Maryland and Rutgers were chosen for cable boxes. Oklahoma doesn’t interest the Big Ten because they want money not prestige first.
Texas is a different animal. They would be golden ticket.

It’s doesn’t matter what their fanbase thinks.
The AD was in the deep red fiscally and to stay afloat and not drop varsity sports they soldout to the Big Ten.
They are buying into the Big Ten Network and full credit status within the Big Ten.
They may miss UVA, UNC, and Duke but they are gone.
Maryland sold out for the money. They are gone.

I agree with you, BUT I think they are about to go through a huge reassessment of where they are and what it is going to take to be competitive. And the crew that is going to do this is not going to be the pro-football crowd that was on the Board of Regents.

This thing has left the control of the University and now is squarely in the realm of Maryland politics. The governor, who is trying to re-elected is tied to the Board of Regents.

And the result of that reassessment maybe that they are not going to be willing to do what it takes to be competitive in the B1G.

Then what?

Maryland is valuable to the Big Ten than Oklahoma.
Big Ten expansion has been about population for expansion of BTN on cable boxes.
Maryland was chosen because it has a good sized population, near a big city Washington DC and would give the BTN automatic status on the basic cable tier in MD and give the Big Ten profits.
It’s why Rutgers was chosen as well because of NJ and NYC getting BTN on basic cable tier. Rutgers didn’t get NYC it was Fox buying the YES network and leveraging the Yankees with the BTN.

Maryland and Rutgers were chosen for cable boxes. Oklahoma doesn’t interest the Big Ten because they want money not prestige first.
Texas is a different animal. They would be golden ticket.

I didn’t say Oklahoma was a candidate. That was another poster.

My point is that Maryland MAY be falling out of love with the B1G decision once they see what’s really going to be required to compete.

The governor of Virginia leveraged Virginia Tech into the ACC. The Maryland politicians may do the reverse to Maryland.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I don't think it's as easy as calling the ACC and asking to be reinstated. I have to believe it would be fairly complicated and costly to get out of the BIG.
And the ACC would tell Maryland people what the SoCar people who asked about getting into the ACC were told: we no longer can trust you.

And the ACC would tell Maryland people what the SoCar people who asked about getting into the ACC were told: we no longer can trust you.

"Unless you can bring Penn State with you", which will end the negotiations right there and then. LOL

Cheers,
Neil

That was then, this would be in the future. Things change.

Why is Maryland the perfect fit? I live in Baltimore and I get a lot of ACC games on TV here, I don't think adding Maryland would impact the exposure to TV markets here much.

It's not like we can just swap Maryland for Louisville, which may make the league stronger athletically but poorer financially... But to destabilize the B1G is just a ridiculous move for the ACC to make without SIGNIFICANTLY strengthening their own position in the process.

Look, I'd love to be able to go to a Cuse/Maryland game every year, it would be awesome for me... But it would just be a silly move for the ACC to make at this point.

And the result of that reassessment maybe that they are not going to be willing to do what it takes to be competitive in the B1G.

Then what?

Then they can call the American Athletic Conference. It's really not the ACC's problem, nor is it some sort of golden opportunity that must be taken. The only way Maryland should get back into the ACC is if it's as team number 17 or 18.

Aside from Feinstein’s columns, to me the Washington Post has the worst sports columnists in the nation. You’ll get less insight into sports from this gaggle of second and third raters then you would get from reading the back of the Cheerios box on the breakfast table. (They are also prone to let the rest of the paper’s political bias leak into their sports columns.)

But Barry Svrluga actually hit the nail on the head today voicing some surprising truths about the Maryland football coaching fiasco and about the school’s decision to leave the ACC and enter the B1G and the role of this decision in the death of the Maryland football player.

But when Maryland announced they were leaving the ACC the Post’s sports columnists were 100% supportive voicing the school’s PR BS about the wonderful opportunity.

Some year’s later, Svrluga identifies it for what it aways was, a “money grab” that put the school’s teams up against powerhouses they couldn’t possible compete with.

Durkin was charged with the near impossible task of competing with Ohio State and Michigan. His methods were bad and produced the death of a player.

Maryland might just figure out they cannot now and are extremely unlikely to ever compete in the B1g. The logical thing to do would be to call the ACC up and say, “Let’s talk”.

From Barry Svrluga in the Washington Post:

“Loh, along with former athletic director Kevin Anderson, pushed Maryland away from that solid, steady base by yanking the school from the ACC to the Big Ten. This was a money grab, nothing short of it, a move that shoved to the side generations of tradition and history because Jim Delany, the Big Ten commissioner/con-artist, promised more cash. Never mind that the idea of driving through Beltway traffic to see Purdue on a Tuesday night in January was, nebulously, not as attractive as enduring the same commute to see, say, N.C. State. The money mattered, and Loh went for it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...5bb7e2-dd78-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html
The ACC is much tougher than the Big10. Don't agree with this narrative.

Never value anything above loyalty. As for Louisville - it gives a team right on the BT border, which causes trouble for the BT, especially as Louisville is a border state school for ND.

When ND is ready to go full member in football, we'll take whatever #16 ND most wants that is not hated by the league. A part of me would love for that to be Navy. That would screw Maryland football forever.

The ACC is much tougher than the Big10. Don't agree with this narrative.
But the BT has a different playing field for success in football. Unlike the ACC, to have football success in the BT you must have huge football budget, which Maryland can never have. Northwestern is the exception over the past 25 years that proves that rule.

Maryland's move was self-defeating.

Reactions: FAL