Maryland back to the ACC? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland back to the ACC?

I'd rather have ND and Navy.
Never value anything above loyalty. As for Louisville - it gives a team right on the BT border, which causes trouble for the BT, especially as Louisville is a border state school for ND.

When ND is ready to go full member in football, we'll take whatever #16 ND most wants that is not hated by the league. A part of me would love for that to be Navy. That would screw Maryland football forever.
You folks are going to love this!

When all of the realignment stuff was raging and ND came on for the Olympic sports, there was a lot of speculation about what would hapen if ND finally wanted to go all-in. Just about everyone believed they would want Navy as #16, so that their annual game would be a conference game, thereby making scheduling easier. One concept that was floated was based on the idea that Navy barely competes right now in the Patriot league in the Olympic sports (especially basketball), so it would be murdered in the ACC. So, Navy would come in with a hybrid membership - it would be football #16 and Georgetown would come in as the rest of the sports #16 .

When all of the realignment stuff was raging and ND came on for the Olympic sports, there was a lot of speculation about what would hapen if ND finally wanted to go all-in. Just about everyone believed they would want Navy as #16, so that their annual game would be a conference game, thereby making scheduling easier. One concept that was floated was based on the idea that Navy barely competes right now in the Patriot league in the Olympic sports (especially basketball), so it would be murdered in the ACC. So, Navy would come in with a hybrid membership - it would be football #16 and Georgetown would come in as the rest of the sports #16 .
That was certainly one of the options floated here a while ago. I could live with that, I think.

And voila! Lax AQ would be back. ;)

Never value anything above loyalty. As for Louisville - it gives a team right on the BT border, which causes trouble for the BT, especially as Louisville is a border state school for ND.

When ND is ready to go full member in football, we'll take whatever #16 ND most wants that is not hated by the league. A part of me would love for that to be Navy. That would screw Maryland football forever.

Why screw Maryland football? Makes no sense unless you have some sort of personal vendetta against the school.

Loyalty? yeah, right.

Now you sound like a Georgetown or St John’s fan complaining about SU leaving the Big East. (“You guys were charter members of the conference. How could you do this?)

But the BT has a different playing field for success in football. Unlike the ACC, to have football success in the BT you must have huge football budget, which Maryland can never have. Northwestern is the exception over the past 25 years that proves that rule.

Maryland's move was self-defeating.
Indiana, NW, Illinois, Rutgers...

Indiana, NW, Illinois, Rutgers...

Maryland being in the same league as NW and Illinois is like Syracuse being in the same league with UVA and Duke. How often do we play them? Do you feel associated in football?

ACC Atlantic is tougher than Coastal, everyone knows that and we got stuck on the tough side. But I think it's worse for Maryland. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State are not only better 49 out of 50 years, but they also all raid their state for HS talent when they feel like it. Michigan State isn't better at quite the same probability, but lately it's been close.

Maryland being in the same league as NW and Illinois is like Syracuse being in the same league with UVA and Duke. How often do we play them? Do you feel associated in football?

{snip}
If the governor of VA hadn't gotten involved in 2003, the answer would be "Every year." ;)

My crystal ball tells me that when the Big 12 implodes, Oklahoma will go to the B1G, Texas will go to the ACC and Notre Dame will go all-in for the ACC! :p

My crystal ball tells me that when the Big 12 implodes, Oklahoma will go to the B1G, Texas will go to the ACC and Notre Dame will go all-in for the ACC! :p
Texas is so not ACC in almost every way.

From what I read, the people on the other side of the argument from the Board of Regents are definitely not fans of big time college football.

When the dust setles on this, Maryland will be less competitive and not more.
I like CFB. Durkin needed to go

Are they killing kids

No, Captain, they are not. And that's the point. These programs don't have to. They aren't at the bottom of a huge hill trying to figure a way to get up it.

The school has thrown the football program into the arena for money. No one else wanted to do this. Not the coaches. Not the Alums. Not the fans. Nobody but the bean counters.

As I said earlier, to me there's as much blood on Loh's hands as anyone's.

I like CFB. Durkin needed to go

Of course.

But now what?

My point is -- and I'll agree its a long shot --- is that there is going to be a huge re-thinking of football at College Park.

Part of this will be when they realize nobody any good will take the job.

There isn't any Gary Williams on the horizon to rescue the football program like he did the basketball program after Len Bias.

Here's the biggest difference between the Big Ten and the ACC for me (in other words another useless factoid upcoming ;) ):

This week marked the 26th time there has been a CFP ranking. The ACC now has had every team but Wake ranked in the Top 25 at least once in those 26 rankings. The exception is Wake. The Big Ten has had five teams that haven't been ranked at all - Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers. So it's not just the East division (which is the true powerhouse) but the West as well (which hasn't been as near as good as the East) where Wisconsin and Iowa have dominated with Northwestern the surprise with 11 appearances out of 26.

It is both the frustrating (lack of true football powerhouses in comparison with SEC and B1G) and the glorious part of being in the ACC. Every team can have a glimmer of hope getting to a NY6 Bowl one year even well into the football season.

Just need one (or two) more perceived football powerhouses, but they should be the weakest of the lot to keep hope alive. Step on down (or up) Notre Dame and/or Penn State.

Cheers,
Neil

Take it with however much salt as you'd like, but one of our board gurus says that Texas was offered the "ND Deal" by the ACC before it was offered to ND and turned it down. He says they won't turn it down a second time.

Take it with however much salt as you'd like, but one of our board gurus says that Texas was offered the "ND Deal" by the ACC before it was offered to ND and turned it down. He says they won't turn it down a second time.
So they'd go indy?

Honestly, over the past 30 years, outside of Maryland's first 3 years under Friedgen, they don't bring much more to the table than Navy does football wise. And since 2004, Navy has been the better program. I'd be perfectly fine with that. And the nice thing with Navy is the Army/Navy game becomes part of the ACC product offering.

"Unless you can bring Penn State with you", which will end the negotiations right there and then. LOL

Cheers,
Neil

Georgetown basketball in the ACC would make Maryland BT basketball an after thought.

If something like that happens, Navy for football and lacrosse and we get a team for #16 in basketball, I'd prefer Villanova or St Johns to Georgetown.

So they'd go indy?
I am not certain that Texas was offered the same 5/8ths football deal ND got, but as we were after ND since before we got BC as #12, I have no doubt that such a deal would have been offered to ND first.

What I am certain about now is that Texas is on the table for both an ND deal and full membership with ND. Texas is not wanting to blow up the Big 12, but if that ball gets rolling, Texas is not going to be left with a new SWC, nor will it go SEC. And since Aggie went SEC, Texas boosters have realized that if Texas gets into a conference based outside the South with Aggie in the SECm Texas sports will suffer vis a vis Aggie, perhaps in a big way. So, Texas is far more likely to join the ACC than to join any other conference.

The SEC has not gotten to the point of securing OU, which it wants very badly, by offering Ok St because the SEC is far from confident that getting OU would make up for Texas going ACC.

UT refuses to look west, absolutely will NOT got SEC unless - no, that ain't happenin', and really does not like the B1G. If they collapse the Big12, they will go ACC first.

When the destruction of the Big12 looked like a strong possibility, Texas did their own homework. They had the opportunity to go with OU and a couple choice schools (and no, TTech was NOT on the list, let alone the UT short list) and said no. Simply put, the west coast will kill off their east coast presence. If they must join another conference, they will look east. The B1G is not a fit in any way other than big state U's. UT is not a norther/Midwest school. UT has rebuffed the SEC and derided them so long, I'm not convinced the SEC would invite them but if they did, UT would likely go ACC or B1G before they go SEC. Academics matters and most of the SEC is lacking in that department (I know, hypocrisy abounds: TTech, OKState, WVU are NOT known as academic powerhouses). And let's not forget that UT is OK with a couple other powerhouses but they do not want to play the SEC West annually.

The ACC is most like UT. Plus, the nation would be able to watch their games (that Texas ego). They would play a diverse geographic territory, but they do that now. They fly to Pittsburg and bus to WVA, playing SU and Beantown College once every so often would simply be like an OOC game. Actually, flying to SU and BC would still be quicker than getting to WVU. Anyway, presumably, they would be able to bring a partner or 3.

UT refuses to look west, absolutely will NOT got SEC unless - no, that ain't happenin', and really does not like the B1G. If they collapse the Big12, they will go ACC first.

When the destruction of the Big12 looked like a strong possibility, Texas did their own homework. They had the opportunity to go with OU and a couple choice schools (and no, TTech was NOT on the list, let alone the UT short list) and said no. Simply put, the west coast will kill off their east coast presence. If they must join another conference, they will look east. The B1G is not a fit in any way other than big state U's. UT is not a norther/Midwest school. UT has rebuffed the SEC and derided them so long, I'm not convinced the SEC would invite them but if they did, UT would likely go ACC or B1G before they go SEC. Academics matters and most of the SEC is lacking in that department (I know, hypocrisy abounds: TTech, OKState, WVU are NOT known as academic powerhouses). And let's not forget that UT is OK with a couple other powerhouses but they do not want to play the SEC West annually.

The ACC is most like UT. Plus, the nation would be able to watch their games (that Texas ego). They would play a diverse geographic territory, but they do that now. They fly to Pittsburg and bus to WVA, playing SU and Beantown College once every so often would simply be like an OOC game. Actually, flying to SU and BC would still be quicker than getting to WVU. Anyway, presumably, they would be able to bring a partner or 3.
Im not saying it won't happen, but they just don't fit, if you ask me. If the B12 disband, I hope it leads to an overhaul of the whole P5 into divisions that make sense.

In many ways, but not all.

Historically, the 4 most academically prestigious state schools in the South are UNC, UVA, GT, and Texas. The SWC began and ended with 4 small private schools, which means that for the vast majority of its history, Texas was in a conference made up of the mix of types and sizes of schools that the ACC has.

If you put those two with Texas despising the SEC and wanting to get even, and with ND as an annual football game, you see reasons why Texas would see many positives to keep on looking to the east, over the SEC to the ACC.

Im not saying it won't happen, but they just don't fit, if you ask me. If the B12 disband, I hope it leads to an overhaul of the whole P5 into divisions that make sense.
That won't happen. And I would not want it too.

ACC Atlantic is tougher than Coastal, everyone knows that and we got stuck on the tough side. But I think it's worse for Maryland. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State are not only better 49 out of 50 years, but they also all raid their state for HS talent when they feel like it. Michigan State isn't better at quite the same probability, but lately it's been close.
That was in reference to football budget. Those schools are in the same ball field as Maryland.

The ACC's conundrum is that it needs one or two more programs like OSU, UM, PSU, etc, to reach B1G $$$ which is why the fantasy was always ND (full) and PSU. But that is fool's gold. Maryland just isn't a "must have" anymore despite its market. When we first joined the ACC I thought we would establish a great hate-hate rivalry for the ages with them over time across all sports but it just wasn't meant to be.

Cheers,
Neil

I think they screwed up all the natural rivalries by not keeping the two groups of teams together. There is enough quality among both the Old Big East Division and the Tobacco Road Division.

Yankee Division

Notre Dame
Miami
Boston College
Pitt
Syracuse
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Pick 8 - Penn State, West Virginia, UConn, Maryland, Texas

Tobacco Road Division

Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
NC State
Wake Forest

Last edited:
So they'd go indy?

I don't think UT will go indy. Ut has been in conferences for much of their existence (1919-present) and they have put out feelers regarding going indy. Finally, they have seen that the Longhorn Network has no real viewership, especially outside Texas. ESPN is losing money on the deal.

That said, UT could afford to go indy, but they lack the national fanbase of ND (Fans wherever the Irish play). Is it worth it for them to go indy? Serious question because they, like Oklahoma, bring enough cache to warrant an invite for any conference.