Massive Clips/Celts deal nearly complete | Syracusefan.com

Massive Clips/Celts deal nearly complete

moqui

generational talent
not OT, because Fab Melo's name has been bandied about as one of the spare parts in the deal.

Baxter Holmes, Celtics beat writer and former LA Times writer (and thus connected on both sides) tweets that the Clips will announce at least the KG/Doc (for DeAndre Jordan and a future 1st rounder) part of the deal as soon as today

Clips will also have to take on some other Boston salary (including possibly Melo) to sweeten the pot

as a secondary part of the deal, the Celts will buy out Paul Pierce (or trade him to someone else who will amnesty/buy out) and the Clips will then sign him

Clips also rumored to be trying to trade Blake Griffin & Eric Bledsoe to Lakers in sign & trade for Dwight Howard

Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnet and Paul Pierce all together, coached by Doc Rivers.

not OT, because Fab Melo's name has been bandied about as one of the spare parts in the deal.

Baxter Holmes, Celtics beat writer and former LA Times writer (and thus connected on both sides) tweets that the Clips will announce at least the KG/Doc (for DeAndre Jordan and a future 1st rounder) part of the deal as soon as today

Clips will also have to take on some other Boston salary (including possibly Melo) to sweeten the pot

I LOVE when big moves happen.

I LOVE when big moves happen.
way back in the 70s, the owners of the Celtics and the Buffalo Braves literally swapped franchises. The new owner of the Braves moved them to San Diego and they are now the Clippers.

30 some years later, they are about to figuratively swap franchises once again.

What is it with these LA teams giving away the store to sinking Boston teams enabling them to rejuvenate themselves? NY teams never catch a break like that.

What is it with these LA teams giving away the store to sinking Boston teams enabling them to rejuvenate themselves? NY teams never catch a break like that.
Except the Yankees

rumored trade is:
DeAndre Jordan, Caron Butler's expiring deal, and future first rounder for Garnet and Doc Rivers, plus either Jason Terry or Courtney Lee plus possibly Fab Melo to make the dollars equivalent

DeAndre Jordan and Caron Butler is not what I would call giving away the store . . . and unless it is for five or more years down the road, I doubt that 1st round pick is going to be worth anything.

Clippers' best assets - Blake & Bledsoe - would be going to the Lakers, if the second part of the deal comes together

rumored trade is:
DeAndre Jordan, Caron Butler's expiring deal, and future first rounder for Garnet and Doc Rivers, plus either Jason Terry or Courtney Lee plus possibly Fab Melo to make the dollars equivalent

DeAndre Jordan and Caron Butler is not what I would call giving away the store . . . and unless it is for five or more years down the road, I doubt that 1st round pick is going to be worth anything.

Clippers' best assets - Blake & Bledsoe - would be going to the Lakers, if the second part of the deal comes together

The Celts are an old, broken down spent team that is capped out and going nowhere. Doc Rivers is a good coach but with poor personnel he can't do much with it. Jordan is a better than decent center and according to ESPN today the Clips will likely have to include a 2nd #1 draft pick (one this year and one two years down the road). The Celts get to jettison some bad contracts to get cap flexibility so they can can go out and hunt. Nice deal that allows them to restructure their roster much more quickly. And what do they give up? The last year of a declining KG before he retires at the end of next season?

The Celts are an old, broken down spent team that is capped out and going nowhere. Doc Rivers is a good coach but with poor personnel he can't do much with it. Jordan is a better than decent center and according to ESPN today the Clips will likely have to include a 2nd #1 draft pick (one this year and one two years down the road). The Celts get to jettison some bad contracts to get cap flexibility so they can can go out and hunt. Nice deal that allows them to restructure their roster much more quickly. And what do they give up? The last year of a declining KG before he retires at the end of next season?
It's a good deal for the Celts, but if you think the Clips are "emptying the store," then you clearly haven't looked at their inventory.
edit: if the Clips were to include Eric Bledsoe in the deal, you would have more of a point, but he is off the table (they want to use him to get the Lakers to move Dwight Howard across the hallway)

Why would the Clippers do this? KG is old and not that good and Doc Rivers is a good coach but not the only one on the planet. This makes no sense to me unless Chris Paul said he would resign only if he was coached by Rivers and passing the ball to Garnett. Someone please set me straight.

Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnet and Paul Pierce all together, coached by Doc Rivers.

pierce and garnett arent getting any younger.

If the deal is Jordan, Butler, and two 1st round picks for Doc Rivers, KG, Jason Terry, Courtney Lee then Danny Ainge is pulling off a coup. Getting Bledsoe is too greedy for Boston. The only way it could get better is if Ainge included Brandon Bass as well. The Celtics then trade Paul Pierce for a trade exemption to a team looking to get future cap space, and the Clippers pursue Pierce after he is bought out and the Celtics can go after Josh Smith.
Celtics- Rondo, Bradley, Smith, Sullinger, Melo/Bass.
Clippers Paul, Bledsoe, Pierce, Griffin, Garnett.
Win/Win for both teams.

Clips also rumored to be trying to trade Blake Griffin & Eric Bledsoe to Lakers in sign & trade for Dwight Howard

Are you sure it isn't the Lakers trying to get rid of Howard? This guy has shown he's a cancer on his last two teams.

If the deal is Jordan, Butler, and two 1st round picks for Doc Rivers, KG, Jason Terry, Courtney Lee then Danny Ainge is pulling off a coup. Getting Bledsoe is too greedy for Boston. The only way it could get better is if Ainge included Brandon Bass as well. The Celtics then trade Paul Pierce for a trade exemption to a team looking to get future cap space, and the Clippers pursue Pierce after he is bought out and the Celtics can go after Josh Smith.
Celtics- Rondo, Bradley, Smith, Sullinger, Melo/Bass.
Clippers Paul, Bledsoe, Pierce, Griffin, Garnett.
Win/Win for both teams.
I agree it's a win win but I'm not sure how much cap flexibility helps Boston. They've never been able to do that well in the free agency market.

as a secondary part of the deal, the Celts will buy out Paul Pierce (or trade him to someone else who will amnesty/buy out) and the Clips will then sign him

Can they pull this off cap wise? Off the top of my head, Paul is like 17mil, Pierce is supposed to be 15mil this year, and I think Dwight and KG are both around 11mil.

griffin for howard? are they insane?
Griffin and Bledsoe . . . if Dwight is determined to leave the Lakers, they need to get the best possible return for him.

Gonna be real hard to send him across the hall, though.
Can they pull this off cap wise? Off the top of my head, Paul is like 17mil, Pierce is supposed to be 15mil this year, and I think Dwight and KG are both around 11mil.
they'll be tax payers, but they can do it. The trade for KG, et al, has to match existing salary, and the idea is that if PP gets bought out or amnestied, he will play for a contender for the veteran's minimum exception (he'll still get his total or something close to it from the amnesty/buyout, but it won't count against the cap). And, on the plus side, the ex-Celts all get to stick it to the Lakers on more time - in their own building!

Griffin and Bledsoe . . . if Dwight is determined to leave the Lakers, they need to get the best possible return for him.

Right. I was trying to point out that an even trade is stupid on the Clips part.

Paul would be for 20 mil, KG 10 mil, either Griffin/Howard would fit, and Pierce would be for the Mid-level exception. He would get 5.8 million from his buyout from Boston or whomever he gets traded too, and then he would sign for close to 5 million with MLE from LAC. Instead of getting 15 next yr he would be getting 10 million to be with KG and Doc.
The Bos-LAC trade will be Jordan 13 million, Caron Butler 8 million expiring for KG 10 million, Lee 4 million, Terry 5 million, and 2 first draft picks.

So much for still liking the Clippers if all this takes place. You get two old guys who are on their last leg's, then throw in head case with Dwight Howard. No way in heck do I think about making this trade if I'm in charge of the Clips.

Why would the Clippers do this? KG is old and not that good and Doc Rivers is a good coach but not the only one on the planet. This makes no sense to me unless Chris Paul said he would resign only if he was coached by Rivers and passing the ball to Garnett. Someone please set me straight.

KG is still awesome. He can't play as many minutes as he used to, and he's old for sure, but when he plays he's is incredibly impactful.

Trading for Howard is a big risk, to me. When the guy is right he's one of the 4 or 5 best players in the league, but he hasn't been that guy for a while.

I think this makes more sense on the Clippers side. Basically they lock up Paul, upgrade their head coach, add Dwight Howard, and throw a Hail Mary for one season with the old guys. Then after a season of KG kicking Howard's ass, they have a bunch of cap room to build around Paul and Howard, with Howard as your clear 2nd banana. You do all this as Kobe's career in Lakerland dies down.

For the Celtics, I guess you get some assets, go in to a clear rebuild mode, and hand the keys to Rondo. I don't see a Rondo-Bradley-Green-Bass-Jordan lineup winning a whole lot though, and who knows how they'd fair in free agency.

Anyway, for the Clippers I think it's a solid move, for the Celtics, eh.

Garnett for DeAndre Jordan IS A HUGE UPGRADE for LA. Garnett can shoot jumpers and FTs, let Griffin/Howard carry the rebounding and dunks. KG as a help defender is the best or top 3 bigs at help defense. This deal helps Boston because it allows them to get something for KG rather than him retiring and get some assets.
Boston is going to relent on Eric Bledsoe and the Clippers will probably eat either Jason Terry's contract, Courtney Lee's contract or both and Boston will get Caron Butler's expiring contract to help with cap space.

Boston has never had cap space to lure a max contract FA during the Danny Ainge era.

Garnett is signed for 2 years, fwiw. He could definitely retire after next year though.

If they can get Garnett and Doc by sending Jordan and some picks, and maybe eating Jason Terry or something, but keep Bledsoe, I thinlk you have to do it. The second leg of the move, getting Dwight, isn't as clear to me.

Anyway, for the Clippers I think it's a solid move, for the Celtics, eh.

It would be more about dumping numerous cumbersome contracts than acquiring comparable talent for Boston.

If they are conceding that it is time to rebuild and committing to that process, clearing cap space is an important first step. Opportunities to move so many onerous contracts off the books in one fell swoop don't come around very often.

Why on earth would the Clippers even think of trading Blake Griffin, their best media draw and human highlight star in decades? Other than the Clippers' cheerleaders, Griffin is the only reason to watch that team (okay, okay, CP is a great PG, too, but is he OK with trading the other end of his passes?!?). Then I remembered the Clips' long record of aversion to success and it all began to make sense.-VBOF