McCullough's Draft stock takes a tumble... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough's Draft stock takes a tumble...

He should be this year too, but he has fallen in to the Paul Harris-like doghouse.
I think quite a bit is that he is awful defending 3s right now. Some of which, IMO, is that he's a victim of his own athleticism. He's getting caught out of position because he's quick enough to make plays on balls that are really out of his zone. Most big guys can't cover the ground that he can so they don't even bother trying. Chris can and if he whiffs on the pass or the opponent makes a good pass, there's a wide open shooter in the corner (who, unlike our shooters, invariably drains it).

Lets be honest, even if plays great, at best we are probably a borderline tournament team, maybe we could win a game in the tourney. If he comes back next year, we could be a top ten team next year.
Nonsense to the bold, italic text. If all of the young guys keep improving, we can do better than borderline tourney team. And, if McC plays great, we can be better than just a second round team. It's too early to make such definitive statements.

Yeah, not doubt. UK, has already been anointed an undefeated champion and greatest team ever, but they just about got stung by a middling Ole Miss team at Rupp Arena.

He isn't big enough to play center in the NBA and hasn't shown the kind of skills you look for in a forward in the league. My guess is Christmas will not be drafted in June.
This is an intersting point that everyone makes about Rak being too small too play center in the NBA. One of the best centers in the NBA right now is Serge Ibaka... Serge is 6'10" 244, Rak is 6'9" and probably close to 240. Are you telling me that the one inch difference between the two disqualifies Rak from playing center in the NBA? Rak has the same freakish athleticism that Ibaka does with arguably better post moves.

There are no "big" centers in the NBA anymore. I think Rak will get drafted based on how he does vs Okafor and the UNC bigs this year.

thats a different story. i would tend to agree with that. But i would think we would try to encourage someone else to leave who will be buried on the bench (a la BJ or Buss)

Encouraging kids to leave can be potentially dangerous for future recruiting. Unfortunately, unless someone choose to leave, there is no perfect path.

Heck, maybe sanctions will convince Bryant not to come here and CM still leaves.

I am tired of guys leaving early, this team is what it is, next year could be a special year.
Would you rather have bryant or mcc?

Would you rather have bryant or mcc?
Not asking me, but definitely Bryant. Roberson should be ready to man the PF slot and this team is going to need a center big time after Rak leaves. Coleman is an unknown, it's pretty apparent that Chino may not be ready for any minutes until his last year and while Diagne is a good candidate, he's more potential than skill right now ).

Everybody's favorite player, is the next years recruit. Heck TB has not even committed yet.

He will better than the guy we have now.

Not asking me, but definitely Bryant. Roberson should be ready to man the PF slot and this team is going to need a center big time after Rak leaves. Coleman is an unknown, it's pretty apparent that Chino may not be ready for any minutes until his last year and while Diagne is a good candidate, he's more potential than skill right now ).
Negative. Trust me, he is very skilled and will be a pleasant surprise for a lot of people who aren't familiar with his game or are just looking at his rankings, in which I think he's very undervalued nationally at this point.

many seem to forget that Bryant has not signed yet. He has many good offers to choose from, and if he sees that the Syracuse staff is unable to develop the talent that CM represents, he might just decide to take his own talents somewhere with a better record of developing bigs. Another reason why Briancuse's desire to see CM continue to slide is so shortsighted.

Negative. Trust me, he is very skilled and will be a pleasant surprise for a lot of people who aren't familiar with his game or are just looking at his rankings, in which I think he's very undervalued nationally at this point.
That's good to hear. I don't follow these guys enough and only go by previous experience with big men at SU (I can't think of one in the last decade that could play meaningful minutes at C as a frosh), and some occasional reports.

The more potential centers that SU has next year, the better because Rak is going to leave some huge shoes to fill.

This is an intersting point that everyone makes about Rak being too small too play center in the NBA. One of the best centers in the NBA right now is Serge Ibaka... Serge is 6'10" 244, Rak is 6'9" and probably close to 240. Are you telling me that the one inch difference between the two disqualifies Rak from playing center in the NBA? Rak has the same freakish athleticism that Ibaka does with arguably better post moves.

There are no "big" centers in the NBA anymore. I think Rak will get drafted based on how he does vs Okafor and the UNC bigs this year.
Steven Adams plays center. Also Ibaka has range out to the NBA 3pt line. They aren't the same player.

Do you sincerely not realize that you're saying that your desire for "a special year" outweighs the financial impact and benefit that professional basketball could have in any of our players' lives and their families' lives if they go early?

People accuse the players of being selfish, but the fans are selfish to an absurd degree. ABSURD.

I'm definitely selfish when it comes to SU sports. These kids are receiving a free education in exchange for winning games for the glory of Syracuse University. I don't really care how they do in the classroom but rather if they win games. Everyone has their self-interest, mine is SU winning games.

1. Ibaka is a PF. I'm not sure he's played a minute at C this year. In the very least, out of his 5 man lineup combinations this year, the top 10 in terms of minutes have all been playing him at PF.
2. As another poster pointed out, Ibaka has a 3 point shot.
3. I might be wrong, but I don't think Rak has the freakish athleticism that Ibaka does. He's a good athlete, but Ibaka is on a different level IMO.

That's good to hear. I don't follow these guys enough and only go by previous experience with big men at SU (I can't think of one in the last decade that could play meaningful minutes at C as a frosh), and some occasional reports.

The more potential centers that SU has next year, the better because Rak is going to leave some huge shoes to fill.

Check out his thread on the recruiting side. Scan the last 4 or 5 pages, watch the vids, look at the stats he's been putting up against big time competition. Some of the posters here do a great job putting all the info in one spot and not enough posters take advantage of it IMO. Diange has a very well rounded offensive game from what I have seen.

I've seen a lot of undersized athletes excel at the pro level but don't think Christmas has the overall game and skills to make it as a center in the NBA at his size. I also believe he is a longshot to make as a forward in the league. Players with his limitations usually don't get drafted in June.

Ibaka's raw freakish athletic ability was recognized by NBA scouts shortly after he moved to Europe and he was drafted by Seattle in the first round when he was only 18. I love how Rak is playing this season but I doubt that any NBA teams see much similarity between Christmas and Serge Ibaka. He had off-the-wall potential from day one. Christmas' skill set is more borderline and he is likely destined for a pro career overseas.

He isn't big enough to play center in the NBA and hasn't shown the kind of skills you look for in a forward in the league. My guess is Christmas will not be drafted in June.
I actually think his development this year has hurt his chances. His only true NBA skill is rim protection, but his focus on offense and the need to save his fouls for that end of the floor have led to him having the lowest block percentage since his freshman season

If you want a kid to perform poorly so he comes back next year, you should just stop watching sports.

Where did I say that I wanted him to play poorly? I said I hope his draft stock doesn't go up.

I hear you. I'm not saying he's going to come in and dominate from day one because obviously there will be a freshman adjustment period, such as defending in the zone and dealing with the length of taller players. When it comes to a pure skillset overall at the moment, I would say Diagne is better at the moment than Bryant. Difference is Bryant is much closer to 7ft and has a ridiculous 7'5 wingspan. So his upside will be much higher of what he can be in the future, while Diagne's upside might be maxed out currently due to be being under 6'9.

I agree that Rak's height/weight stats don't necessarily disqualify him from playing C in the NBA. Dwight Howard is supposedly only 6'-9". Not saying Rak is the same caliber player, but I think he could definitely play in the NBA. The fact that he's only showing up as #81 right now may be due, in part, to the fact that he probably hasn't been on anyone's radar before this year. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up at the end of the year, and I tend to think his stock will rise as more people see this 'new' version of Rak play.

Where did I say that I wanted him to play poorly? I said I hope his draft stock doesn't go up.
that is not what you said, sweet backpedal though:rolleyes:

If CMc has the potential to play in the NBA, surely Rak has the potential to develop into an NBA power forward.

Right now CMc is further from his goal than Rak.

If CMc has the potential to play in the NBA, surely Rak has the potential to develop into an NBA power forward.

Right now CMc is further from his goal than Rak.
the difference is that Roc has found his ceiling while Chris has found his floor