McDonald | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

Yes, I think we are demonstrating a classless reaction and acting like a bunch of juveniles on syracuse.com.

Some don't like him - so what? The guys just had a friend pulls the rug out from him. Whether justified or not that is not something anything is taught to handle. Perhaps posters should just SFU. He was one of us, our guy and he just got crushed. Do you have any sense of understanding or empathy at all? Is it so freaking important to crucify the guy because he got ambushed by the press? If he had said no comment he would have been crucified for that.

YOU have no idea how you would have handled it - none at all.

says the guy who has no problem chastising me. btw, you don't know me or how I handle anything. I'll take the high road and say that I get what you're saying and I think there is nothing good about the situation at all.

Syracuse football's George McDonald apologizes for comments regarding demotion, (PS: Bailey)

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse wide receivers coach George McDonald apologized for his negative comments regarding his demotion in a text message sent late Tuesday night.

"I understand that I shouldn't have said that I wouldn't have come (to Syracuse)," McDonald said. "(Head coach Scott) Shafer gave me a great opportunity and it didn't work out. I was frustrated and let my emotions get the best of me when I said that."

Quick work by Gross and the SU PR staff.

This will probably get him to the end of the season, and I doubt a day more (by his choice).

Watching the McDonald presser, thought he handled himself reasonably well and was pretty composed.

The whole thing is sad and unfortunate.

The Ville game was a breaking point, but if we're 3-2 instead of 2-3, this doesn't happen.

Maryland, ND, Ville, FSU.

Overscheduled.

Winning cures everything - get on Board the Express people - lets Go Orange!

EDIT - all this stuff will pass - I just can't get into the drama because we just don't know what really happened behind the scenes. Something did happen (or a series of things happened) and to me Shafer was forced to make a decision - as I said before I have far more respect for Shafer now. Blank happens. Time to turn the page and move on.

Let's just wait and see what happens.

Last edited:
Syracuse football's George McDonald apologizes for comments regarding demotion, (PS: Bailey)

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse wide receivers coach George McDonald apologized for his negative comments regarding his demotion in a text message sent late Tuesday night.

"I understand that I shouldn't have said that I wouldn't have come (to Syracuse)," McDonald said. "(Head coach Scott) Shafer gave me a great opportunity and it didn't work out. I was frustrated and let my emotions get the best of me when I said that."
Better

cuseguy said:
Watching the McDonald presser, thought he handled himself reasonably well and was pretty composed. The whole thing is sad and unfortunate. The Ville game was a breaking point, but if we're 3-2 instead of 2-3, this doesn't happen. Maryland, ND, Ville, FSU. Overscheduled.
Maryland is bad. Shouldn't be in any over scheduling conversation

Agreed with a few above. What are Shafer and Gross doing during all this (or Sue Edison)?

Last edited:
Millhouse said:
Maryland is bad. Shouldn't be in any over scheduling conversation

ND at the wrong time.

Watching the McDonald presser, thought he handled himself reasonably well and was pretty composed.

The whole thing is sad and unfortunate.

The Ville game was a breaking point, but if we're 3-2 instead of 2-3, this doesn't happen.

Maryland, ND, Ville, FSU.

Overscheduled.

We don't really have a choice on the order of ACC games, do we?

We're going to schedule for 2-2 to 3-1 in non conference. Hard to say Maryland was overscheduled, I mean we did just beat up on them at their joint just one year prior and that's when we made the deal.

ND is going to be the 1 L that we're going to schedule. Same with LSU. People might as well get used to it, the idea of having a marquee team on the schedule isn't changing.

Agreed on a few points. What are Shafer and Gross doing during all this (or Sue Edison)?

I think they're the ones that got him to send that apology text.

Either that, or someone else in his life got a hold of him and said What are you doing.

I've read all the responses and think Shaf handled this really poorly, and I was blind sided as well. It was hurtful and not the way you treat a friend, colleague, or brother. Personally, I have been thinking for several weeks that George wasn't the guy for the job, but give him the rest of the season to turn it around. He was an Ok recruiter, maybe a step up from what we had, but he was not nearly what we thought he would be in this regard. The big fish still swam away while our offense and coaching staff could have been stronger with a better coach. All this is moot because the thing that strikes me the most has to do with George's character. He has a huge ego and thinks more about himself than those around him. In fact, it's all about George... and everybody and everything else? Well, F##k em is his response. He is a narcissistic p***k and has done severe damage to his "family," the the kids, the staff, and the University. When you consider his self-centered approach it is hard to feel sorry for the guy. He got what he deserved. His infamous interview was revealing in retrospect.

I think really the issue was when he got hired the job we offered. schafer could have made him WR coach Dir of Recruiting and Asst Head Coach. Then had Lester as OC and QBs Coach yes confusing a bit but it would have been a step up for him to asst head coach and we would have had an OC off the bat with Head coaching and Offensive coordinator experience.

Caveat being Probably would have had to figure out a place for Rob Moore in all that.

Don't think he was coming without OC job
I think really the issue was when he got hired the job we offered. schafer could have made him WR coach Dir of Recruiting and Asst Head Coach. Then had Lester as OC and QBs Coach yes confusing a bit but it would have been a step up for him to asst head coach and we would have had an OC off the bat with Head coaching and Offensive coordinator experience.

Caveat being Probably would have had to figure out a place for Rob Moore in all that.

Wow. I knew things were heating up behind the scenes between some of the staff, but you don't ever air your dirty laundry like that. Take your lumps like a man and .

You don't deserve to be our OC McD, so Adios of here if you don't like it.

LGO.

Yes, I think we are demonstrating a classless reaction and acting like a bunch of juveniles on syracuse.com.

Some don't like him - so what? The guys just had a friend pulls the rug out from him. Whether justified or not that is not something anything is taught to handle. Perhaps posters should just SFU. He was one of us, our guy and he just got crushed. Do you have any sense of understanding or empathy at all? Is it so freaking important to crucify the guy because he got ambushed by the press? If he had said no comment he would have been crucified for that.

YOU have no idea how you would have handled it - none at all.
I think you're off here.. McDonald spouted off to the press, they reported it. He then recanted via a text. Shafer has two options:
  1. He comments via a short interview or calls a press conference tomorrow in support of McDonald and spins this away, albeit in a very quick manner.
  2. He fires McDonald and moves on.
I sincerely hope #2 is his choice. You have to eliminate this idiot immediately. His speaking to the media should have been quick related to any questions about the demotion... "No comment." Although everyone with a brain and heartbeat knows he's pissed, that type of response does not stoke the fire. Instead, he chose to come out with his remorse publicly. Shafer, in my opinion, has to fire him at this point. If not, he risks his own bosses having to question his judgement at the end of the season. If he doesn't fire him, there is no way possible that this could reflect well on Shafer in any way.

Just speculating here, but my guess as to how this all unfolded... Shafer tells McD he's demoted. McD emotionally decides he doesn't want to coach here anymore. He sources the media on the demotion in order to get this out publicly. Shafer speaks on it and confirms. Door is now open for McDonald to react in person to the media. Does so knowing that if he's fired, he still collects a check for the remainder of the season and can take some personal time to reflect and wait on the next gig. Had he quit, his contract wouldn't have had to be honored by the University.

Last edited:
GM's offense would have eventually worked here; unfortunately now I don't think he will get the chance to see it come to fruition... It's a SEC offense, and it needs SEC level talent to run properly. You have to be big enough to block on screens, you have to be fast enough to turn the corner, etc... You see plays like the ones GMc calls working properly all day long on Saturdays, but the players on the top teams in the country look different from our guys, even on tv you can see it. That's starting to change with this crop of recruits, but we are still a ways from SEC level talent.
Where Gmc really fails as an OC is his inability to maximize his players according to their skills, as well as a total lack of feel for play calling. Maybe those skills can be learned, but probably won't be done at Syracuse now...

I think you're off here.. McDonald spouted off to the press, they reported it. He then recanted via a text. Shafer has two options:
  1. He comments via a short interview or calls a press conference tomorrow in support of McDonald and spins this away, albeit in a very quick manner.
  2. He fires McDonald and moves on.
I sincerely hope #2 is his choice. You have to eliminate this idiot immediately. His speaking to the media should have been quick related to any questions about the demotion... "No comment." Although everyone with a brain and heartbeat knows he's pissed, that type of response does not stoke the fire. Instead, he chose to come out with his remorse publicly. Shafer, in my opinion, has to fire him at this point. If not, he risks his own bosses having to question his judgement at the end of the season. If he doesn't fire him, there is no way possible that this could reflect well on Shafer in any way.
I doubt Shafer will chose #2. We'll see soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom