McDonald's Game Announcement Tonight at 10:30ET | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald's Game Announcement Tonight at 10:30ET

Kentucky gets 4, Duke gets 3 including the top 2, and we, like most of the other teams, get to hope that our signees are under-ranked and have a high ceiling. The biggest hit to our program has been the damage to recruiting from the ncaa hit to our reputation. If not for this whole mess we were on our way to practically having consistent top echelon recruiting. We had been on a great big long upwards trajectory. With all the one and done, college basketball is all about recruiting and nothing else. Even Virginia, a model of player and team dvlp is now in the one and done business. Forget the old sport of college basketball; recruiting one and dones is the name of the game, and teams now have as much stability as an oil spill. It's late at night and the wind is howling. Maybe I'm just being cranky because Battle did not make the cut.

I disagree on some points - one and dones are part of the game, but they are not the only way to win this thing. In some years like last year they got it done. Look at the top 10 schools this year -- none of them are relying heavily on one and dones. Some of them have them as parts of their team but it is not their team focus or who they built the team.

As far as I can remember we have always have a lot of recruiting misses; kids put us on their initial list but end up someplace else. My notion is that we were on a trajectory to have more hits if not for the investigation. Bryant would have made a big difference especially if we are short on fire power next year.

But we got PC as a result of losing TB and he has a chance to be transformative in his capabilities. I don't mean PC is necessarily better talent wise, but as far as possible impact, he could be much more. I think we are doing very well recruiting wise considering the hamstringing we took. I worry a little going forward because of the travel limitations they hit us with but we'll see.

Battle clearly got jobbed but the recruiting is fine. Battle is basically a 5 star who would have been ranked in the top 10 if he had played at all his junior year. Moyer is a solid top 40 guy and probably the highest rated recruit out of Ohio. Remember Ennis and Waiters got jobbed out of the McDs also.

He's ranked 54th, 4th out of Ohio.

Just go grab yourself a Snicker's bar. ;):)

In my opinion, I don't think the recent NCAA issues has affected our recruiting, at least in terms of blue chipper/Mickey D types. SU typically doesn't really get that level of recruit on a year in and year out basis. For the most part, we get solid high level recruits (top 100-150 v. top 24) into the program and mold them into our system. In JB's 40 years of coaching up on the Hill, I think UK & Duke have gotten more Mickey D types in the past 4 years, than SU has gotten in 40. :)

I monitor the McDAA thing closely. Here's the score for the teams I track since 1977

Syracuse - 20
Duke - 62
UNC - 70
Kentucky - 53
UConn - 11
Georgetown - 11

If you can recruit these kids good, but if you can keep them around great. As stated previously, the better McDAA are one and dones, which limits their effectiveness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom