McFarlane's 86-yard run | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McFarlane's 86-yard run

Which angle - he had guys on all sides?

michael_scott_the_office_high_resolution_jeans_paper_company.png

he's out running the other two. cutting down their angle would've made no difference. does he know this at the time? not really but it's instinctual, you have to sense and 'hear' you'r being caught. its something you know and feel, i speak from experience. but whatever.

I would guess he also has his own teammates in earshot yelling man on, or whatever the kids say these days because man on probably sounds way gay. In a stadium that quiet, he could probably hear just about anything.

Hopefully he gets a few more chances to prove he can take it to the house. That's a long way to run though. 50-60-70 yards, he's got a TD. 85, just missed it by that much.

I would guess he also has his own teammates in earshot yelling man on, or whatever the kids say these days because man on probably sounds way gay. In a stadium that quiet, he could probably hear just about anything.

Hopefully he gets a few more chances to prove he can take it to the house. That's a long way to run though. 50-60-70 yards, he's got a TD. 85, just missed it by that much.

agreed and I'm not putting him down. I was just surprised at the time he ran a completely straight line and never changed course.

I don't think it's often i ever see a guy 'not' change course over a a similar haul unless they know they're way out in front. i surprised he didn't.

i need a gif of lonnie johnson looking over his shoulder to see who was going to catch him before getting annihilated by a safety

have you actually played sports before?
Played varsity sports in HS and was scratch golfer most of my life. Competed at local and state levels for many years.

I do understand what you are saying, but I just don't buy it. Instinct is a response to a stimuli. It has to be something that your senses can process like knowing if and when to cut against the grain and having a feel for what is in front or to side of you. Good athletes simply simply process certain stimuli faster and better than others.

I think that being able to hear footsteps and to be able to discern whether the footsteps on the left or right are faster or how many steps behind or the angle of pursuit is just impossible.

Very seldom do I see a runner going that distance in a straight line. Usually there is some angle that he might be able to be process from his peripheral vision but not because he has some magical way to discern what is behind him.

I'm not sure how getting ran down is a big deal? That Noel kid is a stud and obviously a speedster. You see running backs and even receivers getting caught all the time at all levels. Noel was the only guy on the field that could have caught him so he's definitely not slow.

dollarbill44 said:
I was going to say the same thing. About the only thing he could have done was a perfectly timed high-step, but like you said, he would need eyes in the back of his head to know when to do that.
Everyone worth anything knows you start hitting the y button that close to the end zone. Leap leap leap!

I'm not sure how getting ran down is a big deal? That Noel kid is a stud and obviously a speedster. You see running backs and even receivers getting caught all the time at all levels. Noel was the only guy on the field that could have caught him so he's definitely not slow.

Its not a big deal at all. Quite frankly Mcfarland and Phillips are our only two running backs who even get that far with Noel after them. Anybody who takes issue with how a guy ran 85 yards is missing the point.

Played varsity sports in HS and was scratch golfer most of my life. Competed at local and state levels for many years.

I do understand what you are saying, but I just don't buy it. Instinct is a response to a stimuli. It has to be something that your senses can process like knowing if and when to cut against the grain and having a feel for what is in front or to side of you. Good athletes simply simply process certain stimuli faster and better than others.

I think that being able to hear footsteps and to be able to discern whether the footsteps on the left or right are faster or how many steps behind or the angle of pursuit is just impossible.

Very seldom do I see a runner going that distance in a straight line. Usually there is some angle that he might be able to be process from his peripheral vision but not because he has some magical way to discern what is behind him.
dude probably thought his whole life that he is/was so fast that no one could catch him when he's running flat out on a line like that. Think it was a learning experience for him and next time he does the look, bob and weave a bit.

MacFarlane tied James' Mungro's 86 yard non-scoring run vs. Kentucky in '99 Music City Bowl. The longest run from scrimmage in Syracuse history in a 95 yarder by George Davis in 1949 vs. Fordham.

Thanks, SWC! Is the shortest run from scrimmage in SU history Troy Nunes vs. Michigan when he got that safety?

he's out running the other two. cutting down their angle would've made no difference. does he know this at the time? not really but it's instinctual, you have to sense and 'hear' you'r being caught. its something you know and feel, i speak from experience. but whatever.

this thread is amazing, and pointless. yes, had he cut he scored easily. this is not a debate. its common sense, as well as instinct, to peek behind you to see where the pursuit is. Devante probably has never been run down from behind in HS, so didnt think to look. Lesson learned and we move on. Not sure why this Crusty guy is on a campaign to insult everyone who disagrees with him on this point (which seems to be 99% of the people).

this thread is amazing, and pointless. yes, had he cut he scored easily. this is not a debate. its common sense, as well as instinct, to peek behind you to see where the pursuit is. Devante probably has never been run down from behind in HS, so didnt think to look. Lesson learned and we move on. Not sure why this Crusty guy is on a campaign to insult everyone who disagrees with him on this point (which seems to be 99% of the people).
Just where do you think I insulted anyone?

If Barry Sanders can get caught from behind on 80 yard runs (I think it actually happened twice in one game), MacFarlane has nothing to be ashamed of.

Or just mule kick the guy in the balls. Either way.
you and Pat must have been roomates, or at the very least both went to the lesser known SU college of Wiseacre Witty commentary.....;)

think i saw that it was the 3rd longest on twitter.

edit: here it is

Oct 18
Davante McFarlane's 86-yard rush ties for the third-longest in school history.

non-TD run was the comment. the other runs probably went to the house.

Thanks, SWC! Is the shortest run from scrimmage in SU history Troy Nunes vs. Michigan when he got that safety?

I don't know about "shortest". That one took forever. I'd go for the 7 attempts to get into the end zone from the one vs. Iowa in '06. They were pretty short.

Which angle - he had guys on all sides? I think that is just second guessing.

He should've zig-zagged like I always did in Tecmo Super Bowl. Would've been 6, easy!

I agree. If you look at the first picture, almost looks like he was easing off the gas. No other reason to be so upright at that point unless he was easing off.

OrangeDW said:
He should've zig-zagged like I always did in Tecmo Super Bowl. Would've been 6, easy!
tecmo was the best. The Giants had a dback you couldn't fool with that nonsense though. He could dive 10 yards. Could also block every kick.

Heck of a run and I loved him for it. There were many people behind you Crusty that voiced that he should have angled right to evade the tackle. I'm guessing if we were, his teammates on the field were. I agree that instinctively RB and WR in that situation can feel the pursuit (hearing it mostly) and react to evade the tackle. Happens every weekend in college and the pros. Happens in basketball too. Pointing out that he might've scored had he angled right takes nothing away from the awesomeness of what he did do for us all on that run. He had a great game and I hope it was the first of many. The reason anyone thought or said anything about it is exactly what came to fruition. We have a significant problem for whatever reason punching it in and ended up not scoring 7 despite theoretically 4 chances from the freaking 5 yard line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom