McFarlane's 86-yard run | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McFarlane's 86-yard run

Heck of a run and I loved him for it. There were many people behind you Crusty that voiced that he should have angled right to evade the tackle. I'm guessing if we were, his teammates on the field were. I agree that instinctively RB and WR in that situation can feel the pursuit (hearing it mostly) and react to evade the tackle. Happens every weekend in college and the pros. Happens in basketball too. Pointing out that he might've scored had he angled right takes nothing away from the awesomeness of what he did do for us all on that run. He had a great game and I hope it was the first of many. The reason anyone thought or said anything about it is exactly what came to fruition. We have a significant problem for whatever reason punching it in and ended up not scoring 7 despite theoretically 4 chances from the freaking 5 yard line.

I was one of those people who were voicing their opinion that if he had angled his run, he would have scored.

We teach our running-backs when they break free to move their head and look at their peripherals. That way they aren't prone to getting stripped from behind, and they can make the proper angle towards the sideline if they see pressure. Football is a game of inches. As you can see from the video and photo, the defender had to make a diving flail to trip him up. Had he taken a 45 degree angle towards the sideline, There's a high probability that's a score. Maybe not clean, but he would have been tripped a bit later which may have allowed a dive for a score/towards a pylon.

he should have taken an angle when he started feeling heat down around 20 yd line. That's instinct.

I prefer the mindset of not expecting to be caught from behind. Our other recent RBs wouldve been angling at the 50 and tackled by the 40. Smith, Bailey, and DC3 all wouldve been tracked well shy on the 5. DC3 had one of the best 2nd gears of our RBs in recent memory and got tracked down from 15 yards behind in the pinstripe.

Kid was also out for a few games and hadn't had that many carries in awhile. Looked gassed to me.

People are actually upset with the kid for this?
wacko.gif

I agree. If you look at the first picture, almost looks like he was easing off the gas. No other reason to be so upright at that point unless he was easing off.
I can't say one way or the other whether he was easing off, but I'm not sure what being upright has to do with it. Once up to speed, sprinters run very upright, they only lean forward during the acceleration portion of a run. Being upright could easily mean he was still going hard.

Last edited:
Kid was also out for a few games and hadn't had that many carries in awhile. Looked gassed to me.

Agree. I think if he'd been in the same situation at Central Michigan (with a similarly speedy defender chasing him) he'd have scored.

I can't say one way or the other whether he was easing off, but I'm not sure what being upright has to do with it. Once up to speed, sprinters run very upright, they only lean forward during the acceleration portion of a run. Being upright could easily mean he was still going hard.

Yup, I'd say this guy is pretty fast and he is running pretty much upright:

How-do-I-run-faster-Usain-Bolt.jpg

Yup, I'd say this guy is pretty fast and he is running pretty much upright:

How-do-I-run-faster-Usain-Bolt.jpg
mcfarlane_2-png.28551
Bolt's arms are pumping hard and his head is down.. So he's definitely charging forward. Just was going off the body language in the photo of McFarlane here but his arms aren't exactly pumping. I personally think he was just gassed and as I said, I could be wrong, but only had this photo to go off.

Bolt's arms are pumping hard and his head is down.. So he's definitely charging forward. Just was going off the body language in the photo of McFarlane here but his arms aren't exactly pumping. I personally think he was just gassed and as I said, I could be wrong, but only had this photo to go off.
That looks like it was during his WR 200 meter run. It's actually an example of him using less than his usual perfect form. He was laboring and didn't stay relaxed toward the end of that run like he ideally would.

Yes...right...like I was saying 90 degrees or as you say "right angle"...maybe Super Techmo Bowl is not familiar to you but I once threw for 8700 yards in a season with Warren Moon, 90 degree jukes are impossible to stop.

8700?? That's nothing. I probably ran for that many yards every game with Bo Jackson. :)

Did you read the posts JLine? DID YOU?????

I did. It wasn't really directed at the forum so much. The original post talked about hearing comments that he should have scored, that's all. Upset probably isn't the right word either. Just odd to me.

Though, people are still debating it here which seems like a waste of time but it is a forum and we have time on our hands. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom