McNabb, Johnston, Anderson HOF nominees | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McNabb, Johnston, Anderson HOF nominees

texascpa said:
Surrrrrrreeee...

Yeah. There is no Hall of Fame for givers, because how hard is that? Well, I guess that is the only factor.

MOOSE!!!
download (2).jpg

I am sorry, but I have to say no to Donovan, he just didn't do enough.

McNabb is arguably my favorite athlete ever, and I agree with you. I think he's amongst the first group of QBs on the outside looking in.

The kick he missed in the Nfc title game is a killer for him, its a hard thing to live down. I would put Johnson in, I am sorry, but I have to say no to Donovan, he just didn't do enough.

Unfortunately I agree about Donovan. From what I have read among writers that vote or have talked to voters, it seems like he is in the Hall of Very Good. Hope I'm wrong though.

I think if you look beyond numbers and you see how much Donovan carried that offense with very little help, he should get it. You look at the season he had the one year he had a true number 1 guy and imagine if he had been fortunate enough for an extended length of time with an Andre Reed and James Lofton combo or Micheal Irvin and Jay Novacek or Jerry Rice and John Taylor.

I'm not saying he will get in, he's on the fringe, but I think he's deserving.

With 3 more HOFers, we move into the 2nd spot for colleges with the most HOFers along with ND. Two more and we're tied with OSU for 3rd. One more and we tie with Pitt and UM for 4th.

With 3 more HOFers, we move into the 2nd spot for colleges with the most HOFers along with ND. Two more and we're tied with OSU for 3rd. One more and we tie with Pitt and UM for 4th.
When do players from the 2001 Miami team start becoming eligible?

Moose Johnston was the consummate fullback in a pro set offense . He did everything to perfection ; run blocking , pass blocking , tuff 3rd and short runs , safety catches out of the back field . I really felt like he was the straw that stirred that Dallas offenses drink . If Aikmen , Irvin and Emmett weren't so self absorbed , they would do some lobbying for him .

I think if you look beyond numbers and you see how much Donovan carried that offense with very little help, he should get it. You look at the season he had the one year he had a true number 1 guy and imagine if he had been fortunate enough for an extended length of time with an Andre Reed and James Lofton combo or Micheal Irvin and Jay Novacek or Jerry Rice and John Taylor.

I'm not saying he will get in, he's on the fringe, but I think he's deserving.

Unfortunately those mental nut bags TO and Limbaugh created a negative narrative around him and many meathead fans and media jumped on the bandwagon. QBs are always highly scrutinized, but the crap piled on McNabb was above and beyond. His end of career struggles didn't help things.

Of course he should make it. He shouldered a heavier load for that offense than Kelly did with the Bills(probably the closest comparison of player/team success).

How is Gary Anderson not in the Hall of Fame already? He's arguably the greatest kicker ever. What am I missing?

Donovan McNabb among 3 Syracuse football nominees for Pro Football Hall of Fame

Almost impossible for kickers to get in. And the BIGGEST KICK of his life he missed (NFC Championship game, 15-1 Vikings team, one kick away from the Super Bowl and he missed). Tough to justify a kicker to begin with, but when the biggest moment/kick of your career is a miss...you ain't ever getting in.

And McNabb isn't a hall of fame player either at the end of the day. Good player, not HOF worthy

Unfortunately those mental nut bags TO and Limbaugh created a negative narrative around him and many meathead fans and media jumped on the bandwagon. QBs are always highly scrutinized, but the crap piled on McNabb was above and beyond. His end of career struggles didn't help things.

Of course he should make it. He shouldered a heavier load for that offense than Kelly did with the Bills(probably the closest comparison of player/team success).
I never could figure out why Andy Reid loved skinny, soft, alligator armed receivers so much. He drafted a million of them. I think McNabb and Brian Westbrook were the only good offensive players he drafted.

2nd most points scored in the history of the league. Points win games. I think it's a travesty he's not in yet.
The problem is that the impact of having the greatest kicker of all time on one's roster isn't that much greater than having just an average kicker on one's roster.

The problem is that the impact of having the greatest kicker of all time on one's roster isn't that much greater than having just an average kicker on one's roster.

I'm not sure I agree with that... I mean look at how huge of an impact Adam Vinatieri had on his team's postseason success.

I'm not sure I agree with that... I mean look at how huge of an impact Adam Vinatieri had on his team's postseason success.
Good example, Vinatieri was great, but the Patriots have continued to be great since he left. They have been to three Super Bowls. Did they miss any field goals in those games? I honestly don't remember.

It's nice to have a great kicker, but you will be probably be fine with just an average kicker.

The NFL HOF is so watered down. There is no rhyme nor reason as to who gets in and who doesn't (which I guess you can say about most HOF's). By look and watching him play McNabb IMHO falls short, but with some others QB's who are in, I think he should be in. Bob Griese got in for handling the ball to Larry Csonka and throwing it up for Paul Warfield to be great. McNabb had none of that.

The NFL HOF is so watered down. There is no rhyme nor reason as to who gets in and who doesn't (which I guess you can say about most HOF's). By look and watching him play McNabb IMHO falls short, but with some others QB's who are in, I think he should be in. Bob Griese got in for handling the ball to Larry Csonka and throwing it up for Paul Warfield to be great. McNabb had none of that.
It's hard giving individual awards for such a team oriented sport. One of the most annoying comments I hear is so-and-so won this many super bowls. No he didn't. His team did. I'm curious what Troy Aikman does with the teammates/coaching McNabb had and vice versa.

I don't think any of the 3 are getting in. Freeney has the best chance of being the next SU guy to make it.

Somewhat true, although Griese also [1] won a superbowl, [2] was part of the only "perfect" / undefeated season in NFL history, and [3] has gone on to have an illustrious career in football outside of his playing days, which also might be merit-worthy of inclusion.

I love McNabb. I just feel like he comes in a bit short for HOF criteria, but would love to see him get there.

It's hard giving individual awards for such a team oriented sport. One of the most annoying comments I hear is so-and-so won this many super bowls. No he didn't. His team did. I'm curious what Troy Aikman does with the teammates/coaching McNabb had and vice versa.
Giants fans are not going to agree with this type of thinking.

mcnabb was a great player, hes in the iggs HOF. that alone is quite the accomplishment.

I don't see him making it to Canton unless the Veterans put him in which I now understand is 25 years from end of career.

on Aikman, that lousy SOB should not be in the HOF, save for being the QB on awesome teams back in the day. any halfway decent hack could've led them to 3 bowls.