mcw and the nba | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

mcw and the nba

I do. Don't underestimate the importance of getting additional game experience under your belt. NBA players don't have the same type of practice schedules that college players do. Yes, they can work with assistant coaches without restriction [unlike college], but many days where they are traveling, have back-to-back games, etc. they might not even practice beyond walk throughs / shoot arounds. I also remember reading an article several years ago where a backup center [might have been Tree Rollins, but I can't recall--like I said, this was a long time ago] talked about how important it was for him to do extra cardio to stay in game shape, because he wasn't playing enough minutes in games to maintain peak physical condition.

In my mind the question becomes whether Donte would have improved his draft position by adding a year of physical maturity and game development and playing a figural role as a starter on a team that might have been capable of making a deep run [made the BET finals without him], versus sitting as a rookie. If he's shown better shot selection as a more experienced player, better rebounding [he averaged 7+ as a skinny frosh], etc. then his draft position would have probably improved, meaning that he would have made more $$$ as a function of where he was drafted.

And even if he wasn't a good player with long-term NBA longevity, at the very least making the additional money over one contract would have been better than making less money as the #28 pick, for the same number of years.
He certainly might have improved his draft position and thus made more money I agree. But as far as actually being a better player...ehhh...there are some advantages to being in college as you have pointed out, there are other advantages to being in the nba and having nothing to do but play hoops. Guys that are going to improve find a way to improve whether it is in college or the pros.

I think Donte was definitely in the sweet spot of guys who would have benefited from coming back. I also think if he knew he was going #28 before the draft he probably would've been back.

With how poor the college game is now, and level of competition...there is no benefit to stay in school if someone is saying you are going to go in the first round, imo. You can shuttle between the NBA and D League like Terrance Jones or Fab Melo and make money as you learn.

I do. Don't underestimate the importance of getting additional game experience under your belt. NBA players don't have the same type of practice schedules that college players do. Yes, they can work with assistant coaches without restriction [unlike college], but many days where they are traveling, have back-to-back games, etc. they might not even practice beyond walk throughs / shoot arounds. I also remember reading an article several years ago where a backup center [might have been Tree Rollins, but I can't recall--like I said, this was a long time ago] talked about how important it was for him to do extra cardio to stay in game shape, because he wasn't playing enough minutes in games to maintain peak physical condition.

In my mind the question becomes whether Donte would have improved his draft position by adding a year of physical maturity and game development and playing a figural role as a starter on a team that might have been capable of making a deep run [made the BET finals without him], versus sitting as a rookie. If he's shown better shot selection as a more experienced player, better rebounding [he averaged 7+ as a skinny frosh], etc. then his draft position would have probably improved, meaning that he would have made more $$$ as a function of where he was drafted.

And even if he wasn't a good player with long-term NBA longevity, at the very least making the additional money over one contract would have been better than making less money as the #28 pick, for the same number of years.

Another thing that people have forgotten is that we were an NIT team the year he came out. That hurt him as much as anything. NBA GM's, for all their savvy and study, go for the shiny new object. People's draft stock gets inflated every year from a deep run in the NCAAs.

If Donte had come back to that team, we would have gone pretty deep (we were a Sweet 16 team without him, starting Kristof at PF). That alone would have been worth 10 spots in the draft, and he might have rebounded a bit his second year, instead of avoiding contact so he wouldn't get hurt.

Another thing that people have forgotten is that we were an NIT team the year he came out. That hurt him as much as anything. NBA GM's, for all their savvy and study, go for the shiny new object. People's draft stock gets inflated every year from a deep run in the NCAAs.

This is definite;y true; I wonder if a good draft strategy toward the end of round 1/round 2 might be to focus on players on less successful college teams. (obviously Donte may not have been a good example of this)

If Donte had come back to that team, we would have gone pretty deep (we were a Sweet 16 team without him, starting Kristof at PF). That alone would have been worth 10 spots in the draft, and he might have rebounded a bit his second year, instead of avoiding contact so he wouldn't get hurt.
UK won the NC last year and Terrence Jones dropped 10 spots. Sullinger went to the FF and dropped 15 spots. Lots of variables...

UK won the NC last year and Terrence Jones dropped 10 spots. Sullinger went to the FF and dropped 15 spots. Lots of variables...

Terrence Jones wasn't the best player on his team, and Sullinger developed back problems. If you have to make your NBA career based on tricking the scouts, it's not going to be much of a career, that's all I'm saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom