MCW thinks he can be #1 | Syracusefan.com

MCW thinks he can be #1

SWC75

Bored Historian
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--n...unner-status-as-top-draft-pick-013137867.html

"The 6-foot-6 Orange point guard hopes to vault himself to the top spot in the minds of NBA general managers once he starts working out for teams.
"If I go in the pre-draft camp and kill it and do the things I know I can do, I don't see why not," Carter-Williams told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday."

Never underestimate the ability of a young man to delude himself.

I could see him being the first PG taken...but he's out of his mind if he thinks he's going in the top 5.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--n...unner-status-as-top-draft-pick-013137867.html

"The 6-foot-6 Orange point guard hopes to vault himself to the top spot in the minds of NBA general managers once he starts working out for teams.
"If I go in the pre-draft camp and kill it and do the things I know I can do, I don't see why not," Carter-Williams told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday."

In professional sports being delusional is a good thing. Let the kid think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This time last year not many thought Dion Waiters would go 4th. So anything is possible.

Agreed #1 obviously is out of the question but he can certainly move up. Ev ery Scout already knows he can't shoot and whoever drafts him is banking on him developing a shot over time so if he really shines physically and is able to beat guys off the dribble who know he can't shoot he could move up pretty easily IMO.

Agreed #1 obviously is out of the question but he can certainly move up. Ev ery already knows he can't shoot and whoever drafts him is banking on him developing a shot over time so if he really shines physically and is able to beat guys off the dribble who know he can't shoot he could move up pretty easily IMO.
The issue with this draft is there's no clear-cut great player. This draft leave will be entirely needs based if he doesn't believe he's worthy of the first pick then no one else will .

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Why is #1 out of the question? There's not a clear cut stud this year. He absolutely should have the mindset that he can earn the #1 draft selection by outplaying everyone else.

If Michael Olowakandi can go #1, MCW can go #1.

I think I can bowl overhand, eat raw steak, take care of plague ridden people, date a supermodel, wrestle packs of coyotes, wear live lobster as earrings, and be sexy in a speedo. :bat:

I suppose a lot will depend on what team choses where in the forst 10 picks. I do think that MCW hasd the right idea, be confident, show off his skills and athleticism and tell teams they should pick him first.

The issue with this draft is there's no clear-cut great player. This draft leave will be entirely needs based if he doesn't believe he's worthy of the first pick then no one else will .
yeah, but if a team that (a) needs a PG and (b) loves MCW gets the #1 pick, the smart play is to trade down and pick up other assets to go along with him

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
We're on the same page on this one. Must have been typing our posts at the exact same time.

I think I can bowl overhand, eat raw steak, take care of plague ridden people, date a supermodel, wrestle packs of coyotes, wear live lobster as earrings, and be sexy in a speedo. :bat:

Nobody here telling you can't ;).

If MCW goes No. 1, this really is a weak draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he really works on his jumper and shoots well in his workouts.. anything can happen. Lets remember is shot isn't broken just needs more consistancy.

Nonsense! He knows himself better than we do and he knows he can do everything Magic did and more!

What is he supposed to say? No I don't think it's possible there are a number of kids better than me. I hate questions like this because they are so loaded. If he answers I think so and so will go number 1 according to all the experts everyone says MCW doesn't have confidence in this ability. If he says sure he knows he's capable of it he's out of touch with reality. Ask him a real questions like what are you going to work on to improve your draft stock or what do you think people will see in the individual work outs from you that will suprise them.

When it came to the likes of Wes and Donte, it was a proven fact that GM's draft around potential. They both had mechanics that made them likeable and traits that made you scratch your head a bit. MCW has traits that translate very well to the NBA but you pray that he's not the next Johnny Flynn. He has height, court vision, speed, and defensive traits that make him a great prospect. When he shoots the ball I look the other way but hey, look at rajon rondo.

If he's a consensus lottery pick, and he doesn't think he could go #1, then he shouldn't even bother going pro, mentally he wouldn't cut it in the league.

He's going into the top <1% of his profession in the entire world, confidence is most definitely required.

I once read an interview with Gregory Peck where he said that, due to a back injury, he was unable to "carry a suitcase, ride a horse and bowl".

I thought to myself: "There's nothing wrong with my back and I can't do that!" :confused:

Why is #1 out of the question? There's not a clear cut stud this year. He absolutely should have the mindset that he can earn the #1 draft selection by outplaying everyone else.

Yeah, I mean, if people are projecting McLemore / Smart / Noel #1, then it isn't out of the question that a player like MCW could vault into the top 5.

Agree. He needs to work on his shooting. If he gets hot during camp, works his ass off hustling, rebounds well (which he should have no problem doing), I don't think he unequivocally couldn't. I don't think it's likely, but never say never.