MCW's mom on MCW & the NBA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW's mom on MCW & the NBA

but he was still possible 1st rounder. so going to school possibly cost him $10,000,000
Okay maybe but I never really heard talk from scouts that he ever would've gone in the first round. I may be wrong and was just deaf and not looking to argue the point but PH was definitley overrated coming out of hs

When we win the NC this year, then he is free to leave.
If we win the NC this year. He's definitely gone because he'll be the primary reason we've won it. A great run in the tourney will get Brandon and James drafted as well.

Easy. He's not very good. He has a a hundred holes in his game. He's going to get chewed up in the NBA.

But I think he goes. Just the way it is nowadays.
And there are about 5 lotto teams that would be happy to take on the hundo holes in his game.

Yeah Sullinger is the opposite. He, Harrison Barnes (maybe), and Perry Jones all hurt their stock

Can't forget Hibbert, he could have been top 5 and stayed for his senior year.

Joakim Noah probably would have been a top 2 pick and dropped after staying.

I mean, it worked out pretty well. Just sayin'.

Are there any examples of this happening in basketball? A top-10/15 player staying another year and improving their draft status?
DC1...then John Wallace...probably DC2 in years '14-15 to '15-16.

How about Warrick? He helped himself by staying, no? BTW, I am all for MCW leaving, for reasons belabored earlier. On and off the court. My least favorite point guard since Jason Hart, just IMO, if we are still allowed to have honest opinions.

After seeing what happened to Noel last night MCW would be crazy to stay.

He wouldn't be crazy, but ^^^THIS^^^

I bet there are a lot of guys all around college hoops that are taking a long hard look at what to do after last night.

He wouldn't be crazy, but ^^^THIS^^^

I bet there are a lot of guys all around college hoops that are taking a long hard look at what to do after last night.

He's not the first guy to screw up his knee and he won't be the last. It happens.

Are there any examples of this happening in basketball? A top-10/15 player staying another year and improving their draft status?

Corey Brewer, Al Horford, and Joakim Noah probably moved up from (what I would guess would be) the 11-25 range to top-10 picks by staying for the 2007 season. I'm not sure if any of them were top-10 projections after 2006 though.

Blake Griffin is probably best example, would probably been picked like 8 but came back and number 1.

How about Warrick? He helped himself by staying, no? BTW, I am all for MCW leaving, for reasons belabored earlier. On and off the court. My least favorite point guard since Jason Hart, just IMO, if we are still allowed to have honest opinions.

Warrick probably, but I think the key is coming back after being a lottery pick. MCW already is a lottery pick (we think). It's likely he can only hurt his stock by coming back.

Griffin is a good example though.

The formula for going pro is real easy. If your underrated by the scouts you think about staying to increase your value. If your overrated you go pro and cash in on your bloated value while you can ... it's real easy.

I'll let you all decide which category MCW fits in.

If he currently has a 3.4, I wouldn't be overly worried about his affect on APR. SU has had other players, of lesser academic standing, complete their work. In the article, the mother very clearly (and rightly so!) was proud of MCW's gpa. These attitudes often follow through to the kids. I would not be surprised to see MCW come back some day to complete his degree.

I believe you get docked points, or however they grade it, if you leave early without graduating, if it's after your Freshman season. He would be counted against JB's graduation rate. Part of the reason Jim, and many other coaches hate APR calculation.

I believe you get docked points, or however they grade it, if you leave early without graduating, if it's after your Freshman season. He would be counted against JB's graduation rate. Part of the reason Jim, and many other coaches hate APR calculation.
"The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career. Another is for student-athletes who transfer to another school while meeting minimum academic requirements and student-athletes who return to graduate at a later date."

This is According to the wikipedia article on the APR. If your statement was correct then we would have been docked some points due to Waiters departure.

"The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career. Another is for student-athletes who transfer to another school while meeting minimum academic requirements and student-athletes who return to graduate at a later date."

This is According to the wikipedia article on the APR. If your statement was correct then we would have been docked some points due to Waiters departure.

Ok I knew it somehow had a negative effect . Good to hear mcw has a good gpa because we may be pretty close to the threshold

Okay maybe but I never really heard talk from scouts that he ever would've gone in the first round. I may be wrong and was just deaf and not looking to argue the point but PH was definitley overrated coming out of hs

he certainly didnt pan out...

does that make him overrated? does that mean he picked the wrong system? does that just flat out mean he peaked early?

not sure the answer to that. a few thing i know for sure - he was old for a high school senior and there was talk about him going pro (but i think that was the 1st year of the rule).

would he have been a 1st rounder? a 2nd rounder? who knows. but PH going to college hurt his stock more than it helped him. not sure if that can even be debated.

he certainly didnt pan out...

does that make him overrated? does that mean he picked the wrong system? does that just flat out mean he peaked early?

not sure the answer to that. a few thing i know for sure - he was old for a high school senior and there was talk about him going pro (but i think that was the 1st year of the rule).

would he have been a 1st rounder? a 2nd rounder? who knows. but PH going to college hurt his stock more than it helped him. not sure if that can even be debated.

In high school you can be one helluva a power forward at 6-4. In college you can't. If PH had another two or three inches he would be a solid contributor in the NBA right now. He was our version of Lou Roe.

IMO, Sullinger and a few of those guys in that class stayed out of the draft partly because of the impending NBA lockout. It didn't work out for them.