Melo left out of ESPN's top 10 NBA players...again. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Melo left out of ESPN's top 10 NBA players...again.

Not saying it doesn't count just saying that I think you've managed to hit on the main point why a lot of fans particularly SU fans perceive that he is not on Melo's level offensively. Melo has a much more diverse offensive game as far as scoring the ball himself than Harden does, personally from that perspective I think Melo is one of the best 3-4 scorers in the world but there is more to offensive bball than that which I would be forced to evaluate along with defense and team situation if making a top 10 players list.

Yeah, Melo is definitely one of the best scorers, especially in terms of the variety of ways in which he can score. You can shut down one part of his repertoire and he can still kill you for 40 that same night. But Harden is very efficient at what he does, and also does a good job of creating for teammates while he does it.

My issue is when people confuse being a versatile scorer with being a better scorer. For example, I remember a couple years ago before LeBron became as versatile a scorer as he is now that people would argue he wasn't in the top tier of scorers in the NBA because his jumpshot was just average. It doesn't really matter if LeBron was only a really good finisher at that point because you literally could not keep him out of the paint so he'd score nearly 30 points a night with ease. If you're that good at one aspect of scoring like LeBron's finishing or Harden's ability to draw fouls or Curry's shooting ability, all it takes to be an elite scorer at that point is to be average in the other aspects of scoring.

Yeah, Melo is definitely one of the best scorers, especially in terms of the variety of ways in which he can score. You can shut down one part of his repertoire and he can still kill you for 40 that same night. But Harden is very efficient at what he does, and also does a good job of creating for teammates while he does it.

My issue is when people confuse being a versatile scorer with being a better scorer. For example, I remember a couple years ago before LeBron became as versatile a scorer as he is now that people would argue he wasn't in the top tier of scorers in the NBA because his jumpshot was just average. It doesn't really matter if LeBron was only a really good finisher at that point because you literally could not keep him out of the paint so he'd score nearly 30 points a night with ease. If you're that good at one aspect of scoring like LeBron's finishing or Harden's ability to draw fouls or Curry's shooting ability, all it takes to be an elite scorer at that point is to be average in the other aspects of scoring.

I suppose at the margins it's nice to have more ways to score, but in general, the stats will tell most of the story, if you can score a lot and score efficiently, who cares how you get it?
It's not a perfect analogy, but the one I like to use is Mariano Rivera. He only had one pitch to get you out; doesn't mean he was worse than a reliever with a 2 or 3 pitch arsenal.

I think it's sad because Harden has the tools to be a good defensive player - I like his size and strength and I feel like he moves well enough to stay in front of his man.

Can anyone honestly tell me that if Melo went to team X they would be the fav to win the title? if so, what team is that? and not teams that are already playing for titles like SA or Cleveland

If Melo goes to the Clippers they are still losing to SA or OKC

Can anyone honestly tell me that if Melo went to team X they would be the fav to win the title? if so, what team is that? and not teams that are already playing for titles like SA or Cleveland

If Melo goes to the Clippers they are still losing to SA or OKC

Chicago.

I'd say the Clippers are already in the title mix. If the Bulls, as currently constructed, added Melo for nothing? Probably still wouldn';t be favorites, but you'd like their chances a lot more. If we all knew Rose was healthy? Different story

I think it's sad because Harden has the tools to be a good defensive player - I like his size and strength and I feel like he moves well enough to stay in front of his man.

I might not remember it correctly, but I could have sworn he was considered an above-average defender during his time with OKC.

I might not remember it correctly, but I could have sworn he was considered an above-average defender during his time with OKC.

It's possible he's not expanding as much effort on defense because of the role he's playing in the Houston offense now.
That's not a defense (LOL), just a possibility.

It's possible he's not expanding as much effort on defense because of the role he's playing in the Houston offense now.
That's not a defense (LOL), just a possibility.

Paul Pierce was considered a lazy defender until Garnett and Allen came to town - having to do less on offense let him focus on D more...Of course, Harden had Howard and Parsons.

Harden is a really good player; I get that people are turned off by the foul shots or whatever, but the guy is just a dynamite offensive player.

Harden is a really good player; I get that people are turned off by the foul shots or whatever, but the guy is just a dynamite offensive player.
He sums up everything that is wrong with the NBA right now. Hate Hate Hate his game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom