Memphis, Houston plan to keep their coaches | Syracusefan.com

Memphis, Houston plan to keep their coaches

Crusty

Living Legend
i

Two of the most sought-after young coaches in the nation will face off when Justin Fuente's Memphis faces off against Tom Herman's Houston.
Houston and Memphis will play Saturday in a top-25 matchup that figures to shape the American Athletic Conference race. On a bigger-picture scale, the game features two of the hottest names in coaching search circles; Power 5 athletic directors, including those at Maryland, South Carolina and Virginia Tech, have been tracking Houston's Tom Herman and Memphis' Justin Fuente for years, not just during their prodigious 2015 seasons.

But that's not to say the leaders at Houston and Memphis are sitting back, resigned to lose their promising, young coaches to programs with more money and a far better path to the College Football Playoff.

In fact, following the lead of former mid-major programs such as TCU and Utah, they're working to position themselves to soon become the equal of any program wooing Herman and/or Fuente.

Houston's administration this year has publicly lobbied to eventually join the Big 12, taking the cause to legislators in Austin. David Rudd, Memphis' president, said his school has power-conference ambitions, as well. Rudd said he expects another round of realignment dominoes to fall in the next two years, and his school will be prepared for it.

"[We are] always looking out on the long term for the university and for the athletic department," Rudd told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg this week. "I've encouraged people to recognize that we are way out in front of this issue. We are way out in front of efforts to retain our coach, retain our coaching staff and make sure we’re competitive."

That’s where today's carousel notes begin, the pitches at Houston and Memphis to keep their coaches.

Crusty said:
Memphis, Houston plan to keep their coaches Two of the most sought-after young coaches in the nation will face off when Justin Fuente's Memphis faces off against Tom Herman's Houston. Houston and Memphis will play Saturday in a top-25 matchup that figures to shape the American Athletic Conference race. On a bigger-picture scale, the game features two of the hottest names in coaching search circles; Power 5 athletic directors, including those at Maryland, South Carolina and Virginia Tech, have been tracking Houston's Tom Herman and Memphis' Justin Fuente for years, not just during their prodigious 2015 seasons. But that's not to say the leaders at Houston and Memphis are sitting back, resigned to lose their promising, young coaches to programs with more money and a far better path to the College Football Playoff. In fact, following the lead of former mid-major programs such as TCU and Utah, they're working to position themselves to soon become the equal of any program wooing Herman and/or Fuente. Houston's administration this year has publicly lobbied to eventually join the Big 12, taking the cause to legislators in Austin. David Rudd, Memphis' president, said his school has power-conference ambitions, as well. Rudd said he expects another round of realignment dominoes to fall in the next two years, and his school will be prepared for it. "[We are] always looking out on the long term for the university and for the athletic department," Rudd told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg this week. "I've encouraged people to recognize that we are way out in front of this issue. We are way out in front of efforts to retain our coach, retain our coaching staff and make sure we’re competitive." That’s where today's carousel notes begin, the pitches at Houston and Memphis to keep their coaches.

Big talk. Those coaches will be gone - $$$.

:rolleyes: Yeah, bigger programs are offering more money and a path to the CFP THIS year. But I'm sure Herman's going to wait around and hope the Big XII extends Houston an invite

i

Two of the most sought-after young coaches in the nation will face off when Justin Fuente's Memphis faces off against Tom Herman's Houston.
Houston and Memphis will play Saturday in a top-25 matchup that figures to shape the American Athletic Conference race. On a bigger-picture scale, the game features two of the hottest names in coaching search circles; Power 5 athletic directors, including those at Maryland, South Carolina and Virginia Tech, have been tracking Houston's Tom Herman and Memphis' Justin Fuente for years, not just during their prodigious 2015 seasons.

But that's not to say the leaders at Houston and Memphis are sitting back, resigned to lose their promising, young coaches to programs with more money and a far better path to the College Football Playoff.

In fact, following the lead of former mid-major programs such as TCU and Utah, they're working to position themselves to soon become the equal of any program wooing Herman and/or Fuente.

Houston's administration this year has publicly lobbied to eventually join the Big 12, taking the cause to legislators in Austin. David Rudd, Memphis' president, said his school has power-conference ambitions, as well. Rudd said he expects another round of realignment dominoes to fall in the next two years, and his school will be prepared for it.

"[We are] always looking out on the long term for the university and for the athletic department," Rudd told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg this week. "I've encouraged people to recognize that we are way out in front of this issue. We are way out in front of efforts to retain our coach, retain our coaching staff and make sure we’re competitive."

That’s where today's carousel notes begin, the pitches at Houston and Memphis to keep their coaches.
Seems like a stupid headline. Everyone knows the schools want to keep their respective coaches.

Not so sure about Herman. Houston will probably make it to the Big 12 and he probably doesn't have to drive outside the city limits to recruit. Cougars will pay him to stay. Memphis not so much.

Seems like a stupid headline. Everyone knows the schools want to keep their respective coaches.
Says they "plan to", which is quite different than "want to."

Says they "plan to", which is quite different than "want to."
Very true and I may have glossed over that. Just seems like an obvious move that the schools would do. I thought it was kind of funny.

Very true and I may have glossed over that. Just seems like an obvious move that the schools would do. I thought it was kind of funny.
I think we may be witnessing the beginning of a trend - the revenge of the group of five! Some of them are serious about competing. Some of them realise they have everything they need to succeed.

I think we may be witnessing the beginning of a trend - the revenge of the group of five! Some of them are serious about competing. Some of them realise they have everything they need to succeed.
It does seem that the schools care a whole lot more about football than they used to. The problem they will run into is having less money compared to P5 schools.

It does seem that the schools care a whole lot more about football than they used to. The problem they will run into is having less money compared to P5 schools.
That is their challenge. Houston has plenty of very rich boosters though. Any school that can build up a big athletic endowment fund can stay the course. That's what I expect Houston to do.

Houston just got a WR to decommit from TCU.

Herman could be playing the long game and waiting for Texas, OU, or A&M to open up.

Herman could be playing the long game and waiting for Texas, OU, or A&M to open up.
Or, to build his own program like Briles or Patterson. That may very well be his plan.

If UT loses out I think there is a very real (albeit still small) chance that Strong goes to Miami. Not sure of UT would go for Herman as they all feel they are better than a first year head coach from Houston but I think Herman could be an interesting fit for them.

Or, to build his own program like Briles or Patterson. That may very well be his plan.

They could be getting an invitation soon if the B12 is shut out again.

They could add Houston, Memphis, Cinci, and Boise. A good hoops as well as football add.

They could be getting an invitation soon if the B12 is shut out again.

They could add Houston, Memphis, Cinci, and Boise. A good hoops as well as football add.
that would be fun. they need to make things more interesting in basketball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom