Syracuse Looking to Fill DJ and Host Roles for 2024 Season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Looking to Fill DJ and Host Roles for 2024 Season

Guess what, the surveys say people want these things. YOU are in the minority of people that attend games.

Also, "blaring music" distracts you from going to the bathroom or checking scores/twitter?

If you had your way, there would be only the band, cheerleaders, and Veley doing ad reads. Really gets the crowd going.
So pretty much what many college hockey events do and are way more enjoyable.

I like bands but I dont need them every second play ends so there is no chance to talk/discuss things with people 2 ft away.

You don't need to fill all the dead space just some of it.

Did the woman leave on her own or was she informed that they were going in a new direction? Not sure it was her fault but between the lame stuff and the sound system - truly a no-win gig.

in this case please either fix the sound system first or get a vouce that will carry. the stucked pig sounds are haunting.

Oh I am SO on this!

ABDF8109-F692-4AEA-A4DB-4DBB0B17BA9C.jpeg

I like bands but I dont need them every second play ends so there is no chance to talk/discuss things with people 2 ft away.

College hockey has almost no dead time, as the game is pretty continuous, and they're all in smaller barns which allows for a student section to flourish. Fans go to concessions and the bathroom during intermission and miss any programming during that anyways.

You're telling me you don't enjoy the extremely inorganic races on ice/shooting the puck to win a car/sling shot bowling stuff they do at intermission? This is what the role is at SU for football.

College hockey has almost no dead time, as the game is pretty continuous, and they're all in smaller barns which allows for a student section to flourish. Fans go to concessions and the bathroom during intermission and miss any programming during that anyways.

You're telling me you don't enjoy the extremely inorganic races on ice/shooting the puck to win a car/sling shot bowling stuff they do at intermission? This is what the role is at SU for football.
I have been to close to 1000 college hockey games.. I have never seen one puck shooting contest or any of that stuff.. I have seen them at Pro games though.

I would agree college hockey bands are much more active than fball bands.

I thought the ride the zamboni thing looked like fun.

Not to make this thread about college hockey games but, I went to my first RIT game a couple Saturdays ago for the conference championship game and had a great time.
Phenomenal atmosphere. Was blown away at how good the student section was. They had chants for when goals were scored and a few other things and they even had their own version of the You Suck chant.

Guess what, the surveys say people want these things. YOU are in the minority of people that attend games.

Also, "blaring music" distracts you from going to the bathroom or checking scores/twitter?

If you had your way, there would be only the band, cheerleaders, and Veley doing ad reads. Really gets the crowd going.

First off did you see the Mickey Mouse surveys after each game last year? They asked questions that didn't really offer any good feedback. So crap in crap out.

Second, there is a difference between playing music and having the volume too loud. No one is saying in a survey that they want the volume on the PA so loud that their ears are ringing by halftime. You really think people go to games so they can't hear an hour in?

The rest of your post is silly and not worth responding.

First off did you see the Mickey Mouse surveys after each game last year? They asked questions that didn't really offer any good feedback. So crap in crap out.

Second, there is a difference between playing music and having the volume too loud. No one is saying in a survey that they want the volume on the PA so loud that their ears are ringing by halftime. You really think people go to games so they can't hear an hour in?

General surveys across sports are what I am referencing, not just what's coming from SU.

The volume being too loud isn't the topic of this thread though. Of course the volume should be more reasonable. I wear earplugs to any events with large crowds/music myself.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Dome is one of, if not the the quietest collegiate venues I've been to for both football and basketball in terms of music and PA volume from my experience. At least among the bigger stadiums i've been to.

No clue if it's a section-by-section thing and could definitely be given the way the building is all concrete and metal, but I've had the opposite experience.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Dome is one of, if not the the quietest collegiate venues I've been to for both football and basketball in terms of music and PA volume from my experience. At least among the bigger stadiums i've been to.

No clue if it's a section-by-section thing and could definitely be given the way the building is all concrete and metal, but I've had the opposite experience.

The volume on videos is too low. I can never hear a thing. Which is a shame. The remote mic volume is obnoxiously too high. The PA is generally fine. Music is a tad too high IMO. Except the 3-4 times a game where they have it way too loud, and then turn the volume down a few bars into the song.

There were plenty of complaints and SU usually came back about it will get better once calibrated or it is due to the smaller crowd size, which is BS because it happened with larger crowds too. They still haven't figured out how to handle the new roof acoustics.

But back to the point of the thread, the host does not matter until you fix the remote mic issue. If you cannot fix that, it won't matter who is the host. That was a huge issue the last few years. It makes sense to have a host for the promotions. I am not against that. I am against a remote host with bad mic acoustics. If SU couldn't fix it the last few years, I have little faith they will now. Which is why I said just let the PA do it.

Host > PA
Host with bad mic < PA

The music genre, I don't care. The delivery of the music (DJ or Band), I don't care. The acoustics I care. In which case the Band > Speakers.

General surveys across sports are what I am referencing, not just what's coming from SU.

The volume being too loud isn't the topic of this thread though. Of course the volume should be more reasonable. I wear earplugs to any events with large crowds/music myself.
More midrange and dampen down the head splitting top end. Horrible migraine inducing.

I'm sure the actual seats will only help the sound calibrate further.

I don’t have a problem with a DJ or a host or whatever they want to do, but SU always does it in the most less than single A way possible.

You can’t understand the host or she’s too loud. When they had the DJ a bunch of years ago they would show him and by most games all the students had left around him so it just looked sad.

They need to hire someone with a plan to get the game day promotions and overall experience right.

While I’m venting, why does the band always do a tribute to someone no one has ever heard of. It’s like, by popular demand, here is a tribute to herby herbster from 1956.

Some people in here haven’t been to games away from the Dome and it shows

We have one of the worst environments for breaks during games.

Hopefully this spruces it up a bit

Yeah let’s just get rid of the band altogether. Outdated and corny amiright?

no problem with a band.. but the marching band is not the same as a pep band.

It all went downhill when Cuse leaders banned the Kiss Cam. Obviously that's a bit sarcastic but it's more a metaphor that they have no idea on how to put on a show to entertain the fans.

And yes, there are plenty of arenas that still do the Kiss Cam. Thank god the whole world isn't clueless.

It all went downhill when Cuse leaders banned the Kiss Cam. Obviously that's a bit sarcastic but it's more a metaphor that they have no idea on how to put on a show to entertain the fans.

And yes, there are plenty of arenas that still do the Kiss Cam. Thank god the whole world isn't clueless.
This Kiss Cam has been, still is, and always will be incredibly cringeworthy and uncomfortable.

This Kiss Cam has been, still is, and always will be incredibly cringeworthy and uncomfortable.
Thank you for carrying the torch for your generation. You know, not everyone agrees with your opinion.

How many women have been coerced into a kiss on camera with a friend/person they barely know for your "entertainment"? Won't anyone think of cliftonparksufan's entertainment?!
Hopefully you're not a fan of Modern Family. It's so outrageous. Glorifying sexual harassment. The nerve of them.

If we are taking a survey here, I am 100% against a DJ and would prefer to limit the use of piped in music greatly.

The focus should be on the SUMB and the songs they play.

People are coming to watch a college football game. They should get a college football experience. The people that want to dance and rave can go to dance clubs.

I am cool with a few exceptions for songs that are popular parts of the game experience. Sweet Caroline. Don't Stop Believing. Maybe a few others.

But no need for a DJ for college sports events. How many times do we have to try this and see it is a complete disaster before we figure out this is still going to be a complete disaster?

If our bumbling technical crew can ever figure out how to get wireless microphones to work properly (defined as no screeching when the lic is live, where the words the hosts says are clearly understandable, like when Mr Excitement speaks), I would be supportive if having a host.

If we continue to roll with the the most backward, incompetent, completely overmatched and in need of permanent termination crew to handle sound for the dome, no. No hosts ever. No use of wireless mics ever.

If we have to have a host. have them make their announcements in ASL or have them use a wired mic with a really really long wire.