Met Jim Calhoun Yesterday | Syracusefan.com

Met Jim Calhoun Yesterday

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
At the UConn Dairy Bar, getting ice cream. Looked like he was annoyed of 25 years of people asking for pictures, gave in to a group of little kids. I shook his hand and he said hello. I should have asked if the AAC has left a bad taste in dey mouf.

I hope he's less intense in the real world than he was on a basketball court. Those later years I actually thought that he might have a stroke or a heart attack the way he appeared in the TV camera shots that I saw him in.

He seemed to be walking on thin ice health wise.

A very good college basketball coach...hard guy to like.

So you met Calhoun on Marsh's Birthday! How it went down.
7.png

3.png

I was watching Batman Begins the other day for the first time in years. Did anyone else notice this resemblance?

1223044-batman_cast_falcone.jpg
11558572-large.jpg
One and the same, hahahahahaha. Not for nothin', decent role as the bad crime "syndicate" boss in this movie.

My only Calhoun story: a guy I reffed with in NY was a UConn grad. Good guy. Said in his experience, Calhoun was a really nice guy. One winter morning when he and other fans were lined up at 5:30 AM to get tickets (on sale at 9:00), Calhoun came down and opened the gym so the fans could wait inside where it was warm. Then he set up a table of coffee and donuts, etc. for them all. He also said that Geno Auremia as a real dickhead, definitively unlikable. Back when I was coaching I bought a couple of Calhoun's tapes. Make no mistake, he's a very smart basketball coach. I learned a lot about how to think about setting up an offense, and also (strangely, huh! :)) about how to attack a zone D.

Name-dropping alert (for those who say they hate name-dropping);

I know JC fairly well. My favorite story about his "intensity" occurred at a charity event in 2012 where Bill Raftery was the guest speaker. Prior to the program starting, I was chatting with Raftery about SU and the then-current first Fab Melo suspension (Raftery had just broadcast both the ND and Cinci games). When Calhoun arrived at the venue, he made a bee-line for Raftery and started to chew off his ear about the NCAA's then-current suspension of Ryan Boatright because of possible recruiting violations involving Boatright's mother.

I have never heard anyone talk so fast .. or with such emotion. At one point, he said "I don't give a F*** about who the F*** is F***ing his F***ing mother." (An amazing use of the F-word four times in one 14-word sentence). Then, noticing me, he briefly paused and said: "Excuse my language, Joyce" before immediately resuming. It was seriously amusing.

Last edited:
An amazing use of the F-word four times in one 14-word sentence. Then, noticing me, he briefly paused and said: "Excuse my language, Joyce" before immediately resuming.

:rolling:

Great story. And I love the name drop.

Last edited by a moderator: