Met Jim Calhoun Yesterday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Met Jim Calhoun Yesterday

Name-dropping alert (for those who say they hate name-dropping);

I know JC fairly well. My favorite story about his "intensity" occurred at a charity event in 2012 where Bill Raftery was the guest speaker. Prior to the program starting, I was chatting with Raftery about SU and the then-current first Fab Melo suspension (Raftery had just broadcast both the ND and Cinci games). When Calhoun arrived at the venue, he made a bee-line for Raftery and started to chew off his ear about the NCAA's then-current suspension of Ryan Boatright because of possible recruiting violations involving Boatright's mother.

I have never heard anyone talk so fast .. or with such emotion. At one point, he said "I don't give a F*** about who the F*** is F***ing his F***ing mother." (An amazing use of the F-word four times in one 14-word sentence). Then, noticing me, he briefly paused and said: "Excuse my language, Joyce" before immediately resuming. It was seriously amusing.

As much as I loathe him, BC should have hired him. Even for 3-4 years he would have injected that program with some emotion. They botched that hire.