Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

Way too early thoughts on wheeler. Fastball looks great but he doesn't trust his secondary pitches.

Bigger concern is Reyes. Dude looks totally lost right now. Let's hope I'm eating my words in 9 innings.

Not good tonight, but I don't really have huge expectations, if he could just be a solid number 4 or 5th starter this year, thats all we need from him.

I know its early, but Reyes looks awful right now.
Mets in general look awful. Most of them looked like they wanted to be everywhere but at the stadium last night. Once they go down by 2 runs it's almost like they collectively give up. I've never seen another team where if they are losing 2-0 the game is effectively over. I know I'm overreacting to a small sample but this same happened all last season.

TC with the line of the night about the FBI looking for Reyes...

Hey Terry it might be time to let Reyes sit a little an start Flores? Also what is it going to take to get Conforto some at bats and Grandy some rest? Of course the problem with both Grandy and Reyes on the bench there is zero speed in the lineup and no leadoff guy. But then again when you're leadoff guy is hitting .027 you basically don't have a leadoff guy anyways. Anderson really messed up this offseason in not acquiring some speed for the outfield.

So far the team looks like a worse version of last years... shaky relief and all or nothing hitting. But if we get Harvey back along with DeGrom and Thor then the team will still probably make the wildcard. Really really miss big sexy right now.

That was my biggest takeaway. More of that, please. Hated the reliance on the home run.

I'm not a replay fan, but that sure saved the day. Not sure how the umpire missed Wilmer's slide, but if that call stood they might still be playing. (By the way, big thumbs-down to Reyes for not getting to third on the throw home. If this offense is anything like last year's, we need smarter baseball from everyone, especially a vet.)

Good job by Syndergaard pitching with discomfort. Got strikeouts when he needed to, especially after Freeman's one-out triple.

I liked the stolen bases. Baby steps, need a lot more of that.

Still don't like having to watch Cespedes loaf around in left, wish the club had gone in another direction. (Speaking of which, in what weird world does the more athletic and younger big-money guy refuse to keep playing center, leaving the 36-year-old vet to take one for the team and do his best out there? I think Granderson ought to get more praise for that and Cespedes more criticism.)

Fun Opening Day at the park, nice weather. Saw three fights on the promenade, a little surprising for a day game.

The main problem is I don't know how healthy Cepededes can stay playing CF every day. We already saw it last year, the guy was battling leg issues basically all season.

The main problem is I don't know how healthy Cepededes can stay playing CF every day. We already saw it last year, the guy was battling leg issues basically all season.

It's true that they need him in the lineup regularly. He's here for his bat. I wonder why he's so fragile, though.

It's true that they need him in the lineup regularly. He's here for his bat. I wonder why he's so fragile, though.

Not sure fragile is the right word? He's a big dude, you don't usually see guys his size playing CF regularly I feel like.

I think a more fair criticism would be the fact that he doesn't want to play RF. The OF defense (well, the overall defense) is going to be an issue for sure this year.

Not sure fragile is the right word? He's a big dude, you don't usually see guys his size playing CF regularly I feel like.

I think a more fair criticism would be the fact that he doesn't want to play RF. The OF defense (well, the overall defense) is going to be an issue for sure this year.

I just have a strong bias against guys who don't at least make a show of doing their best to help the team. When the big-money guy balks at moving to a different position, it sets a bad example. Instead Old Man Granderson makes the move. That can't be helpful in a clubhouse.

I just have a strong bias against guys who don't at least make a show of doing their best to help the team. When the big-money guy balks at moving to a different position, it sets a bad example. Instead Old Man Granderson makes the move. That can't be helpful in a clubhouse.

I could turn it around though and say the guy did play out of position down the stretch in 2015 and for the first half of 2016 and then realized he was hurting the team more than he was helping it if he couldn't stay in the lineup.

I'd prefer they had an actual CF as opposed to either Grandy or Cespedes. There are no real good solutions with the current alignment. But I prefer the one that keeps the most important offensive player as healthy as possible.

I could turn it around though and say the guy did play out of position down the stretch in 2015 and for the first half of 2016 and then realized he was hurting the team more than he was helping it if he couldn't stay in the lineup.

I'd prefer they had an actual CF as opposed to either Grandy or Cespedes. There are no real good solutions with the current alignment. But I prefer the one that keeps the most important offensive player as healthy as possible.

This and this.

This and this.

I'm not in love with how they handled the OF in the offseason. I'll look like an idiot right now saying I wanted them to move Bruce, but well, I wanted them to move Bruce at the time, and I still would be fine with that.

The Lagares injury was a tough break, but he's not really an option against right handed pitching anyway.

I'm not in love with how they handled the OF in the offseason. I'll look like an idiot right now saying I wanted them to move Bruce, but well, I wanted them to move Bruce at the time, and I still would be fine with that.

The Lagares injury was a tough break, but he's not really an option against right handed pitching anyway.
I still think they move Bruce at the trade deadline. His performance is just going to drive up the price.

I'd do Bruce for a true CF who can leadoff or a 3rd baseman who can leadoff. CF and 3rd base are the two biggest weaknesses along with catcher. But catchers are impossible to find. It would help if Walker started rounding into form.

I also wonder when they call up Rosario. They can put him at short and move Cabrera to 3rd and I bet Rosario could leadoff. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Nimmo or Lagares can do in leadoff... he seemed like he would be a good on base % guy and can play center. I do wonder if Collins will ever give the kids any chances tho. I believe that the entire infield plus Grandy are all in walk years so the Mets really need to see whats behind them with Smith, Rosario, Cechhinni, Rivera, etc... But I know that's tough to do when you're hunting for a playoff spot otherwise we're going into next season completely blind. Given poorly the regulars are playing I wouldn't mind seeing some callups from Vegas.

I think they really like Bruce. Him playing well probably just will encourage them to keep him. I agree, I would aggressively shop him.

Rosario probably needs a month or so in Vegas at least, and then I think he's in play. Not saying he'll be called up for sure, but it's not out of the question. Knowing how this FO operates, I would think they'll keep him down until at least the super 2 deadline, and it could be close to all year

Grandy, Bruce, Duda, Walker, and Reyes are all in walk years. They have an option on Cabrera they'll almost certainly pick up. The lineup next year could look very different.

I still think they move Bruce at the trade deadline. His performance is just going to drive up the price.

I'd do Bruce for a true CF who can leadoff or a 3rd baseman who can leadoff. CF and 3rd base are the two biggest weaknesses along with catcher. But catchers are impossible to find. It would help if Walker started rounding into form.

I also wonder when they call up Rosario. They can put him at short and move Cabrera to 3rd and I bet Rosario could leadoff. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Nimmo or Lagares can do in leadoff... he seemed like he would be a good on base % guy and can play center. I do wonder if Collins will ever give the kids any chances tho. I believe that the entire infield plus Grandy are all in walk years so the Mets really need to see whats behind them with Smith, Rosario, Cechhinni, Rivera, etc... But I know that's tough to do when you're hunting for a playoff spot otherwise we're going into next season completely blind. Given poorly the regulars are playing I wouldn't mind seeing some callups from Vegas.

There is no way Bruce is getting traded the way he is playing, what would you trade him for? We need his bat.

There is no way Bruce is getting traded the way he is playing, what would you trade him for? We need his bat.
Someone who is under 30, can run from 1st to 3rd faster than I can and who has a high on base %.

This team has enough all or nothing sluggers... Conforto would slot in very nicely in RF.

I would love to see Conforto in the lineup every day. I am convinced he will hit

Someone who is under 30, can run from 1st to 3rd faster than I can and who has a high on base %.

This team has enough all or nothing sluggers... Conforto would slot in very nicely in RF.

You arent getting that from another team, you would get prospects, you want to take an already struggling lineup, and trade someone who is raking right now?

You arent getting that from another team, you would get prospects, you want to take an already struggling lineup, and trade someone who is raking right now?
For better or for worse the Mets aren't a) winning and nl east b) making it to the World Series and c) probably not going to win a wild card game with this lineup given the likely opponent will be either Kershaw or MadBum. The Mets window is open for the next 3/4 years assuming they keep their young pitchers. Given that I would definitely trade Bruce for prospects at the deadline... last year he showed he can't stay hot for a full season so they would selling high...There is more upside with Conforto anyways. I think the entire position player lineup other than Conforto, Cespedes and Cabrera needs a rebuild. Might as well take the lumps this year and get ready for next years. But don't worry, that will never happen with Collins and Alderson who don't have years to sacrifice. So the ceiling is the wild card in my opinion.

For better or for worse the Mets aren't a) winning and nl east b) making it to the World Series and c) probably not going to win a wild card game with this lineup given the likely opponent will be either Kershaw or MadBum. The Mets window is open for the next 3/4 years assuming they keep their young pitchers. Given that I would definitely trade Bruce for prospects at the deadline... last year he showed he can't stay hot for a full season so they would selling high...There is more upside with Conforto anyways. I think the entire position player lineup other than Conforto, Cespedes and Cabrera needs a rebuild. Might as well take the lumps this year and get ready for next years. But don't worry, that will never happen with Collins and Alderson who don't have years to sacrifice. So the ceiling is the wild card in my opinion.

Its world series or bust for this team, with the pitching we have, anything short of a deep run in October would be a huge disappointment.

I think they are about as good as the Nats, they have a definite chance to take the division

I think they really like Bruce. Him playing well probably just will encourage them to keep him. I agree, I would aggressively shop him.

Rosario probably needs a month or so in Vegas at least, and then I think he's in play. Not saying he'll be called up for sure, but it's not out of the question. Knowing how this FO operates, I would think they'll keep him down until at least the super 2 deadline, and it could be close to all year

Grandy, Bruce, Duda, Walker, and Reyes are all in walk years. They have an option on Cabrera they'll almost certainly pick up. The lineup next year could look very different.

I don't know about Cabrera, I can see them handing the keys over to Rosario next year.

I don't know about Cabrera, I can see them handing the keys over to Rosario next year.

I expect they will, but he can fill in at other positions on the infield. The option I think is like $6.5 million over the buyout; that's definitely worth it for a decent hitter who could fill in across the infield.

keep cabrera, let reyes go, then with flores/rosario you have your infield if he is ready.

figure out what the next step is at catcher and get a centerfielder who can hit just a little. Im ok with comforto if he hits.

That Phillies series was such a huge relief for so many reasons
- Amazing to see Wheeler doing so well against what really is a pretty good lineup in a hitters park. If he can continue to keep the ball down and get ground ball outs he's going to be a real asset for the team.
- Awesome to see the big bats come alive. Man a Conforto/Cabrera/Cespedes/Bruce/Duda first five is going to not be fun for opposing pitchers if they all hit like they should.
- Awesome to see that it really does look like Harvey is back. In some ways this Harvey who pitches to contact might be actually be better for the Mets than the old Dark Knight who tried to blow everyone away because based on the first two starts he seems to be much more efficient with his pitch count. One of my few frustrations with Mets pitchers the last few years has been the lack of easy outs. The tendency to try to be too perfect and strike everyone out rather than pitching to contact has led to lots and lots 3-2 counts and lots of 90 pitches in 6 inning type games over the last few years. Here's hoping that the kids learning to pitch is the next evolution.
- Conforto is awesome and deserves every day starts
- Reed is a beast and seems to have shaken his spring doldrums. Based on Familia's shaky performances last year I'm not entirely convinced who the closer should be. But given whom the manger is there's no doubt in my mind that Familia will get every save opportunity possible.

That last point brings me to what still concerns me:
- Collins is still a huge concern for me... this team is built to win 85 to 90 games just based on the line up. But if the Mets are going to get past the Nats, Dodgers, Cubs and Giants, Collins is going to be the difference between winning and losing those games. Unfortunately I still think Collins has no clue how to use a bullpen... see bringing in Robles on day 3 in a row with the bases loaded. Robles has shown time and time again that if you bring him in with runners on base he is no bueno but if you bring in him in with the bases empty he is infuego. Why I know that but the manager of the Mets with all the stats in the world available to him, I will never know. Also bringing Robles back after giving up the salami and seeing that Robles had nothing was pretty dumb... even Ron commented on that. Also the refusal to give Conforto and the other youngsters everyday playing time is insanity. Reyes and Grandy both need to see much much more time on the bench.
- Reyes looks totally lost... I guess the law of reversion to the mean should actually help the Mets here as Reyes should start getting really hot in order to get back to his average. Or maybe Reyes is just done as an everyday MLB player
- Walker is still slumping... he's not doing himself any favors in his walk year. Might be time to start platooning him with Flores.
- D'arnaud is not hitting nearly well enough to overcome his deficiencies behind the plate. I think he and Rivera will see a 60/40 split behind the plate. In fact I can see Rivera splitting the Marlins series. Mets blew it by not giving Wieters 2 years... he might not be that good but he's better than what they have.
- Need to get Conforto, Riviera, Flores some at bats.
- I'm a bit scared that Bruce is so hot... reversion to the mean is going to hurt us here.

Looking forward to the Marlins series. I think this is going to be a huge test for the Mets. Looking for a split of the series or a 1-3 win for the Marlins. I think Marlins have better position players and I think their pitchers dominance over our hitters is much bigger than our pitchers dominance over their hitters. In a 3/4 game set I think the Marlins might be a better team but they don't have the depth over a 162 game season the Mets do.

- Awesome to see that it really does look like Harvey is back. In some ways this Harvey who pitches to contact might be actually be better for the Mets than the old Dark Knight who tried to blow everyone away because based on the first two starts he seems to be much more efficient with his pitch count. One of my few frustrations with Mets pitchers the last few years has been the lack of easy outs. The tendency to try to be too perfect and strike everyone out rather than pitching to contact has led to lots and lots 3-2 counts and lots of 90 pitches in 6 inning type games over the last few years. Here's hoping that the kids learning to pitch is the next evolution.

- I'm a bit scared that Bruce is so hot... reversion to the mean is going to hurt us here.

Love the first point. Agree with the observation about not pitching to contact; perhaps the evolution will continue as you suggest.

Same deal with reversion to the mean. I've said it before, I'll say it now, and I fear I'll say it 50 more times this summer: this kind of offense isn't sustainable. Though it is fun now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom