Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

I am not upset.

Bauer wants to pitch every 4 days. That screws up everyone else in the rotation.

$40 million a season is way too high for a player with a lifetime ERA higher than DeGrom, Carrasco, Syndergaard and Stroman. I think he is going to have a better second half of his career than his first half, but I don’t see him being worth $40 million a season. A good, not great starting pitcher is just not worth that kind of money. If it was just over paying, I wouldn’t care, but when you overspend in one area, it leaves you with less money to address other weaknesses.

Plus, the guy is a lightning rod for controversy.

I think for this team, at this time, there are better ways to spend that money.
He's not pitching every 4 days in La either.

No Bauer or Springer yes I'm Mad.

Lindor is an instant MVP candidate, and the rotation is already good. Plus Carrasco is good?

My outsider take is, ok it wasn’t the greatest offseason in the history of sports like some of you were shooting for, but it was good and the Mets should have a strong chance at making playoffs.

Lindor is an instant MVP candidate, and the rotation is already good. Plus Carrasco is good?

My outsider take is, ok it wasn’t the greatest offseason in the history of sports like some of you were shooting for, but it was good and the Mets should have a strong chance at making playoffs.
Our outfield blows. Our rotation is pretty good if thor ever pitches well. I like this team. The offseason was disappointing met fans wanted better.

When you have the richest owner in the sport and your ceiling is a chance at making the playoffs you failed.

why is making the playoffs the ceiling.. You cant win if you dont get in.. Signing Baur also meant several other things were no gonna happen and I dont think he makes or breaks anything they wanted to do this yr..

and people wanted to pay this dude $45 million next yr on top of $40 this yr? we would have been over the cap by 100 million.

he is a barely over .500 pitcher in almost 10 yrs with 1 All-star game under his belt..

lets see how the yr plays out before saying it was a bad thing

Dodgers overpaid by a lot, IMO. If I was a Mets fan I wouldn’t be too upset that my owner wasn’t stupid enough to spend as much as the Dodgers did. One of the first things Cohen said when he took over was that he wasn’t going to spend like a drunken sailor. Bauer is also very outspoken, and not always in a good way.

Dodgers overpaid by a lot, IMO. If I was a Mets fan I wouldn’t be too upset that my owner wasn’t stupid enough to spend as much as the Dodgers did. One of the first things Cohen said when he took over was that he wasn’t going to spend like a drunken sailor. Bauer is also very outspoken, and not always in a good way.
Mission accomplished. He's spent next to nothing. Lindor isn't making all that much next year neither is Mcann or carrasco. I wanted Springer but once we lost out on him shifted to Bauer.

And NYC is not the best place to be for that.

And NYC is not the best place to be for that.
He’s an LA guy going home. At least the Mets have a pitching staff. The Cubs lost 4 starters and didn’t do jack to replace them.

Pitchers are always a risky investment. I still think the key is to build up the farm system and the entire roster more than flashy free agent signings. That's what makes you a consistent contender, which a NYC baseball franchise should be.

Pitchers are always a risky investment. I still think the key is to build up the farm system and the entire roster more than flashy free agent signings. That's what makes you a consistent contender, which a NYC baseball franchise should be.
That's fine we don't have pitching in the system and we should have signed Springer.

Missed on all 3 of the top FAs

Absolute failure by everyone involved.

Mets stay the Mets.

Don’t bring that metsrefugees ish over here man.

So the Mets acquired a young OF prospect from the Royals in that 3 way trade last night. Gave up one of the arms that got when they traded Matz. Still have to provide a player to be named later.

But Khalil Lee was the 8th rated player in the Royals farm system. Great speed, great arm, gets a lot of walks for a young player. Sounds like he could play CF or RF.

There is a lot to like about this kid.

There are very few good prospects at the upper levels of the Met farm system, which is unfortunate for fans in CNY planning to go to games. Khalil did well at AA in 2019. Should start out in AAA and might be ready for a call up in September. He will be a guy worth watching if he gets assigned here.

So the Mets acquired a young OF prospect from the Royals in that 3 way trade last night. Gave up one of the arms that got when they traded Matz. Still have to provide a player to be named later.

But Khalil Lee was the 8th rated player in the Royals farm system. Great speed, great arm, gets a lot of walks for a young player. Sounds like he could play CF or RF.

There is a lot to like about this kid.

There are very few good prospects at the upper levels of the Met farm system, which is unfortunate for fans in CNY planning to go to games. Khalil did well at AA in 2019. Should start out in AAA and might be ready for a call up in September. He will be a guy worth watching if he gets assigned here.
Nice move by Sandy.

Now let's get one more SP to push one of Lucchesi/Peterson out the rotation. Having these dudes at 4/5 slots is not great.

Nice move by Sandy.

Now let's get one more SP to push one of Lucchesi/Peterson out the rotation. Having these dudes at 4/5 slots is not great.
Agree we need one more. With COVID still around, I think you need 7 or 8 starters to get through the season. You can add Yamamoto to the list, with Gsellman and Lugo emergency options.

Syndergaard will hopefully reclaim a spot in the rotation in early June. Paxton is one guy I would target, though there are some nice names out there on the trade market too.

Last edited:
Agree we need one more. Syndergaard will hopefully push one out in early June. Paxton is the guy I would target, though there are some nice names out there on the trade market too.

The Suarez/Gray rumor is very enticing

The Suarez/Gray rumor is very enticing
Suarez/Castillo even more so. The ideal way to add a starter is to find someone good a team is willing to almost give away to dump salary. The Mets have a lot of room to add salary now with the 3 big FA strikeouts.

Nice move by Sandy.

I like Odorrizi, Paxton is appealing but it sounds like he wants way too much money.

Suarez/Castillo even more so. The ideal way to add a starter is to find someone good a team is willing to almost give away to dump salary. The Mets have a lot of room to add salary now with the 3 big FA strikeouts.

Suarez and Gray arent even making all that much money! Unfathomable Cincy would be looking to salary dump them. But, it's in play it seems

That's fine we don't have pitching in the system and we should have signed Springer.

"I still think the key is to build up the farm system"

That would include pitching.

Peterson already show more upside than Matz.. Matz had some nice stuff but first sign of issues he quits.. Peterson fought every time out to try and finish his efforts..

lots of interest in Byrant/?Hendriks for Peterson/Familia and a couple others..

And Hendriks is cheap to control..

lots of interest in Byrant/?Hendriks for Peterson/Familia and a couple others..

And Hendriks is cheap to control..
Done deal. Love Peterson but if I can get Hendricks and Bryant and get rid of familia. Yes please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom