Miami of ohio coach. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Miami of ohio coach.

This “selling the fans” thing is so overblown. I hope the admin doesn’t have that on the list of things when looking for a new coach.

You know what will “sell the fans”. Someone who can win consistently and someone who can win more than 1-2 ACC games a year. You know what doesn’t matter, their name in an article.
I would agree with a caveat. Syracuse is about ready to convert seating and raise prices doing it. While not a top factor, there is value in looking for a name that could enthuse spending by the fan base even some.

He took over a mess at Miami. That impacted his first two years. 2020 wasn't a real year, he only had 3 games. The other 7 years he has 3 division champs and is playing for his 2nd MAC title in two weeks. His record over that time in the MAC is 37-18, so he has won over two thirds of his games. He has done nothing OOC and would be a boring hire, but his record in the MAC is actually good. I wouldn't expect him to have much of a ceiling but his basement would likely be much better than Dino's. Again boring but safe. A hard sell to most fans though.

Also he has been an OC at Notre Dame so he has the P5 experience and some familiarity with Northeastern recruiting.

His time at Grand Valley State is impressive as well.

I think he might be the best HC in the MAC.

The one guy who might be better is Candle. If he goes 12-1 you can sell that to the fans.
Good post. As I wrote in my post on him, I believe he is on the list of coaches JW is interested in. What I like is he has OC chops as I want our next coach to have either OC or DC experience and preferably OC experience coupled with having coached the OL as well.

His background is very similar to Leipold's. The thought would be that you are bringing in the next Lance. Martin wouldn't be my first choice but he should be on the list.

Who are the other REALISTIC candidates that are clearly ahead of him?
Not sure. I am just responding as the customer you want to keep buying seasons. Now dawg is correct ultimately what matters is winning and if this guy gets hired and wins great. I just don't read this guys resume and think to myself "this guy is a must get ".

Not sure. I am just responding as the customer you want to keep buying seasons. Now dawg is correct ultimately what matters is winning and if this guy gets hired and wins great. I just don't read this guys resume and think to myself "this guy is a must get ".
We don't need a splash hire. We need a guy who can build a program within the resources that we have. compete well against our pier schools and every once in four-year cycle overachieve. Coaching matters and i believe there are plenty of coaches available that can do the job.

I would agree with a caveat. Syracuse is about ready to convert seating and raise prices doing it. While not a top factor, there is value in looking for a name that could enthuse spending by the fan base even some.

I understand that completely and I think that’s a valid reason to replace our current coach because there is no positive trajectory and a majority of seat purchasing fans realize that.

But we could make a splash hire that falls on their face and the butts in seats argument won’t matter. The most important thing is to try to find the best person for the job. The splashiest names may sell seats for some games or a year but not beyond that if it’s the wrong hire.

He doesn't make the small mental errors that lead to losses and his team doesn't commit a lot of penalties.

I understand that completely and I think that’s a valid reason to replace our current coach because there is no positive trajectory and a majority of seat purchasing fans realize that.

But we could make a splash hire that falls on their face and the butts in seats argument won’t matter. The most important thing is to try to find the best person for the job. The splashiest names may sell seats for some games or a year but not beyond that if it’s the wrong hire.

Can't worry about that.

In order my picks
JMU coach
Holy Cross coach
Toledo Coach
Nebraska DC
Miami OH coach
Golden

If you're tossing around the names of MAC coaches, Candle > than Martin and it's not even close. The guy is 64-33 at Toledo. Chuck Martin? gimme a break.
Toledo has much lower admissions standards.

If you're tossing around the names of MAC coaches, Candle > than Martin and it's not even close. The guy is 64-33 at Toledo. Chuck Martin? gimme a break.
Why are you down on Martin.

In order my picks
JMU coach
Holy Cross coach
Toledo Coach
Nebraska DC
Miami OH coach
Golden
I would have JMU coach on top but I think hes going to Pitt or WVU at some point.

I would have Golden, Toledo, Holy Cross Coach, Nebraska DC, Miami OH coach.

I would have Chip on top but I think he's too burned out and surly with all the off the field stuff with regard to coaching football. He has a great young DC as well. He really is a salty New Englander at heart and I think he would have done great here 12-13 years ago, he needs to freshen up his offense as well the times have kind of caught up with him. Great mind for the game though and I think his personality would be well suited at Syracuse, think he would like the community and vice versa.

I would have JMU coach on top but I think hes going to Pitt or WVU at some point.

I would have Golden, Toledo, Holy Cross Coach, Nebraska DC, Miami OG coach.

I would have Chip on top but I think he's too burned out and surly with all the off the field stuff with regard to coaching football. He has a great young DC as well. He really is a salty New Englander at heart and I think he would have done great here 12-13 years ago, he needs to freshen up his offense as well the times have kind of caught up with him. Great mind for the game though and I think his personality would be well suited at Syracuse, think he would like the community and vice versa.
I would take Golden 100 times over this guy. This hire would be so meh.

He took over a mess at Miami. That impacted his first two years. 2020 wasn't a real year, he only had 3 games. The other 7 years he has 3 division champs and is playing for his 2nd MAC title in two weeks. His record over that time in the MAC is 37-18, so he has won over two thirds of his games. He has done nothing OOC and would be a boring hire, but his record in the MAC is actually good. I wouldn't expect him to have much of a ceiling but his basement would likely be much better than Dino's. Again boring but safe. A hard sell to most fans though.

Also he has been an OC at Notre Dame so he has the P5 experience and some familiarity with Northeastern recruiting.

His time at Grand Valley State is impressive as well.

I think he might be the best HC in the MAC.

The one guy who might be better is Candle. If he goes 12-1 you can sell that to the fans.

Syracuse is a mess. Need someone with a little more than Miami of Ohio to overcome imo.

I would take Golden 100 times over this guy. This hire would be so meh.
Yeah I would be willing to give Golden another shot at this point. I think he's earned it. Would Al still wear the tie as a HC? He was a hell of a Northeast recruiter back in the day. I mean his floor is no worse than Chuck's IMO. I mean if winning at Miami was easy these days they wouldn't hire a new coach every 2-3 years.

I think Al has probably gotten back into the recruiting game at ND as well. Wonder if he's recruiting the Northeast or maybe Florida

ND is a top 10 defense under his watch as well.

Last edited:
Chuck Martin doesn’t really move the needle for me. I posted this in another thread, but reposting below:

53-61 Overall Record at Miami (OH)
1-3 Bowl Record

2023 Total Offense - 95th (Syracuse is 91st)

Recruiting Classes
2015 - 74th
2016 - 87th
2017 - 93rd
2018 - 128th
2019 - 90th
2020 - 91st
2021 - 90th
2022 - 89th
2023 - 112th

2-11 Record against P5 teams (includes win against Cincinnati this year)

He’s probably the 3rd best Ohio based MAC school coaching candidate.

Chuck Martin doesn’t really move the needle for me. I posted this in another thread, but reposting below:

53-61 Overall Record at Miami (OH)
1-3 Bowl Record

2023 Total Offense - 95th (Syracuse is 91st)

Recruiting Classes
2015 - 74th
2016 - 87th
2017 - 93rd
2018 - 128th
2019 - 90th
2020 - 91st
2021 - 90th
2022 - 89th
2023 - 112th

2-11 Record against P5 teams (includes win against Cincinnati this year)

He’s probably the 3rd best Ohio based MAC school coaching candidate.
certainly doesn't scream p5 promotion

Yeah I would be willing to give Golden another shot at this point. I think he's earned it. Would Al still wear the tie as a HC? He was a hell of a Northeast recruiter back in the day. I mean his floor is no worse than Chuck's IMO. I mean if winning at Miami was easy these days they wouldn't hire a new coach every 2-3 years.

I think Al has probably gotten back into the recruiting game at ND as well. Wonder if he's recruiting the Northeast or maybe Florida
I mean if Miami OH guy came in there and really blew peoples socks off, winning MAC titles by year 3 and getting ranked, then you have a candidate with some juice. I just don’t see it with a tenured MAC HC in his best year right now after 8,9,10 seasons.

I don’t see this guy moving the needle much past where Dino already is.

I mean if Miami OH guy came in there and really blew peoples socks off, winning MAC titles by year 3 and getting ranked, then you have a candidate with some juice. I just don’t see it with a tenured MAC HC in his best year right now after 8,9,10 seasons.

I don’t see this guy moving the needle much past where Dino already is.
Exactly how I feel. I kept looking at his record and this is the guy people think can turn us around?

His background is very similar to Leipold's. The thought would be that you are bringing in the next Lance. Martin wouldn't be my first choice but he should be on the list.

Who are the other REALISTIC candidates that are clearly ahead of him?
I bet a lot of the guys who think Mullen (and similar candidates) is unrealistic are the same who thought Dino was unrealistic years ago. I would call Mullen and Clawson first. Then see if Cignetti, Fritz, or Chadwell want to go P5. I would be open to White if he can sell a good plan for the OL/Offense.

I bet a lot of the guys who think Mullen (and similar candidates) is unrealistic are the same who thought Dino was unrealistic years ago. I would call Mullen and Clawson first. Then see if Cignetti, Fritz, or Chadwell want to go P5. I would be open to White if he can sell a good plan for the OL/Offense.

and I'd throw a call in to Matt Campbell while I'm at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom