Michael Benny the 1st to tweet about it. Story at 5 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Michael Benny the 1st to tweet about it. Story at 5

Interesting. Here's a google view of the area -- showing how close this would be to 481. Much improved ingress/egress. Looks like there's an expanded parking lot already in place, and a large cleared area. Unfortunately, it might be (30 years) too late for this site, since new construction creates more issues than it solves: 1) if soft roofs are no longer practical, any new facility would need a hard roof (a Dome renovation requires only the roof); and 2) what happens to the Dome? Has to be an enormous cost to deconstruct it and convert it to other uses.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zeKkZzICcOUk.ka6lHXpjnKv4&hl=en

Plus the university owns Drumlins CC. They could convert the entire West Course into parking as far as I'm concerned.

OrangeXtreme said:
Plus the university owns Drumlins CC. They could convert the entire West Course into parking as far as I'm concerned.

Saturday morning Park & Golf special?

That would help with student attendance

Won't effect it much ... They don't go very often now, and leave early when they do show up

15k students, and can only draw 3k?

Not concerned

That would help with student attendance

this won't matter until the football program starts to win consistently. They'll still show up for basketball regardless.

I thought I read a post on here that they did want out.
That has been discussed. Every time a high school event like the games from last weekend costs the university money. They hold catering events there also. All these different groups run off different budgets. They was directly quoted to me as being a problem.

Chip said:
I think they should make the bleachers retractable.

If it was good enough for Manley...

I can't see us moving off campus. Part of the allure of the Dome for basketball is because it's the largest on campus facility in the country. I know the football program needs a facility upgrade, but I don't see how that's going to help with basketball, and it will kill any chance we ever have of gaining student interest in football.

Has to mean we are either getting a stadium deal with help from the State and Local Government or the Dome is going to get a face lift.
I don't think we will get the retractable roof just because of the added cost. EFTE idea makes the most sense. I am most interested in how this project is going to be paid for.
I am most interested in what the disruptions will be, and if games are to moved off-campus (out of town).

To tag onto your mention of Falk, I posted about a year ago about what I had heard was one possibility. Without going through everything, one consideration was a building on the Irving side attached to that end of the Dome. Would include offices, restaurant, shops, media room and would house sports management. At the time I wondered if Falk would help with some of the costs.

Also I could see some Newhouse stuff. I don't know where it stands but in the next few years people were talking about an SPM-Newhouse joint program. Probably some experiential thing.

Don't know if all of that has gone by the wayside or if it's been tweaked.
I don't know what kind of roof will be deemed feasible from an engineering, cost or space standpoint. If they choose a runner-system on pillars, the footprint probably won't change much. But if they decide to use arches over the top of the Dome walls, this would create tons of room on both sides (N/S) of the facility for atria/public gathering; amenities such as offices or shops, media, sports management areas, etc..

Last edited:
3k is a lot better than 300.
Students go to Destiny, right?

If they really wanted to, they could make a game if it was next to Destiny ... They can find their ways to shop then they can find a way to support the team (in a David Puddy voice)

If they really wanted to, they could make a game if it was next to Destiny ... They can find their ways to shop then they can find a way to support the team (in a David Puddy voice)

Yeahhhhhh...no

Unless there is some deal with "the Gov" to allocate money to a VA med school first (most likely where the Dome currently is located), the Chancellor isn't going after state money for a new stadium before the med school. The med school is the highest priority, new stadium second.

I know the Chancellor, the Gov and others haven't given up yet to go BIG and do both. With the success of the amphitheater and upcoming state fair projects, there is an appetite in Albany to do more.

One thing I do know is the Gov is looking for shovel ready projects. Inner harbor next to Destiny makes the most sense - parking is plentiful and flat, you can tailgate, go shopping, eat out, and I'm aware that Congel is involved as its a huge draw to get more and better tenants for Destiny. I believe NY revenues and the windfalls are ahead of schedule again this year and in the billions of dollars plus the budget season is just around the corner.

Given no state money, the only other affordable choice is a fixed roof right where the Dome sits today. Nuff said.

EDIT - another rumor is another SU billion dollar campaign is on the way shortly...

Last edited:
Unless there is some deal with "the Gov" to allocate money to a VA med school first (most likely where the Dome currently is located), the Chancellor isn't going after state money for a new stadium before the med school. The med school is the highest priority, new stadium second.

I know the Chancellor, the Gov and others haven't given up yet to go BIG and do both. With the success of the amphitheater and upcoming state fair projects, there is an appetite in Albany to do more.

One thing I do know is the Gov is looking for shovel ready projects. Inner harbor next to Destiny makes the most sense - parking is plentiful and flat, you can tailgate, go shopping, eat out, and I'm aware that Congel is involved as its a huge draw to get more and better tenants for Destiny. I believe NY revenues and the windfalls are ahead of schedule again this year and in the billions of dollars plus the budget season is just around the corner.

Given no state money, the only other affordable choice is a fixed roof right where the Dome sits today. Nuff said.

EDIT - another rumor is another SU billion dollar campaign is on the way shortly...
Interesting. What are your sources? Could this be why Destiny suddenly abandoned negotiations for their 17-story hotel back in January?

Interesting. What are your sources? Could this be why Destiny suddenly abandoned negotiations for their 17-story hotel back in January?

I freely admit that my sources are not what they used to be and are 2nd, 3rd & off hand anymore with regards to SU directly so confirmation has to come from others in the know. But I do hear stuff from time to time but more often than not its posted here way before I hear it - so it's one reason I don't post much anymore.

The business community on the other hand is all together a different story...

http://gizmodo.com/6-freeway-demolitions-that-changed-their-cities-forever-1548314937

That line of thinking very much has basis in reality. Overpasses that go through the middle of cities have been proven to be terrible for the cities.

Can't comment on the others but do know about Milwaukee. The Teardown was a short spur
designed to connect with a freeway that was not built. Today more than a decade later
the land is basically undevelped. The main north/south and east/ west freeways meet
in downtown milwaukee. The milwaukee story is urbal legend spread by norquest.

I freely admit that my sources are not what they used to be and are 2nd, 3rd & off hand anymore with regards to SU directly so confirmation has to come from others in the know. But I do hear stuff from time to time but more often than not its posted here way before I hear it - so it's one reason I don't post much anymore.

The business community on the other hand is all together a different story...

I moved out of Syracuse 35 years ago and most of my family and friends did likewise over the years. Therefore, I now have exactly ZERO sources -- or at least zero credible sources. I very much appreciate all of you who share information (so long as you don't proclaim rumor as a "done deal" like some West Virginia folks I could name). These are very exciting times for SU alums and football fans. While I have my favorite solution to the "outdated dome problem," I would welcome any of the options being explored. Look forward to the announcement.

I was just going to post that....On any given day their is lots student aged shoppers there shopping at the high end stores.

I was just going to post that...On any given day their is lots student aged shoppers there shopping at the high end stores.

lol. I love when people act like Syracuse students are filthy rich royalty.

lol. I love when people act like Syracuse students are filthy rich royalty.
LOL.....there was a hint of sarcasm to get someone to bite...It's meal time and Breakfast for most.

Well there is no Walmart or K-Mart there that I know of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom