Michael Benny the 1st to tweet about it. Story at 5 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Michael Benny the 1st to tweet about it. Story at 5

Without those students there is no school and hence no games to be played. If I am wrong please provide a minimum of one example to disprove my statement.
Provide me one business that makes a something that does not bring in much revenue a real priority. This is a business. We aren't talking about moving the stadium 50 minutes from campus like Uconn did. The inner harbor is 3 minutes from campus by car.

Provide me one business that makes a something that does not bring in much revenue a real priority. This is a business. We aren't talking about moving the stadium 50 minutes from campus like Uconn did. The inner harbor is 3 minutes from campus by car.

I believe the business of Syracuse University is the close to $60k that they collect from each student. Everything else is window dressing.

Oh and I'm still waiting for your example of a school with no students that fields athletic teams.

I believe the business of Syracuse University is the close to $60k that they collect from each student. Everything else is window dressing.

Oh and I'm still waiting for your example of a school with no students that fields athletic teams.
th

Unless there is some deal with "the Gov" to allocate money to a VA med school first (most likely where the Dome currently is located), the Chancellor isn't going after state money for a new stadium before the med school. The med school is the highest priority, new stadium second.

I know the Chancellor, the Gov and others haven't given up yet to go BIG and do both. With the success of the amphitheater and upcoming state fair projects, there is an appetite in Albany to do more.

One thing I do know is the Gov is looking for shovel ready projects. Inner harbor next to Destiny makes the most sense - parking is plentiful and flat, you can tailgate, go shopping, eat out, and I'm aware that Congel is involved as its a huge draw to get more and better tenants for Destiny. I believe NY revenues and the windfalls are ahead of schedule again this year and in the billions of dollars plus the budget season is just around the corner.

Given no state money, the only other affordable choice is a fixed roof right where the Dome sits today. Nuff said.

EDIT - another rumor is another SU billion dollar campaign is on the way shortly...

As an alum, I would hate to see an off-campus stadium. I think at that point the sports teams are nothing more than professional teams. You can probably argue that it happened a long time ago (the transition to pro), but at least with them playing on-campus, I can pretend that I'm still watching the University's teams. Off-campus arenas/stadia will naturally cause some dissociation with the student body - see Georgetown basketball and Miami football.

As for the billion dollar campaign, I think it's more of a gimic. I don't know anyone who gave more because the students calling them on a monthly basis said that it was a special campaign to raise 1 billion dollars. I think what makes it an official "campaign" is that they start counting on a specific date and have a big party for the large donors when they hit the "goal". My wife and I both attended SU and we donate every year regardless. We were getting regular calls before the last campaign and the number of calls haven't slowed down any since they hit their goal. Maybe I'm wrong and some donors came forward due to the stated campaign.

dollarbill44 said:
As an alum, I would hate to see an off-campus stadium. I think at that point the sports teams are nothing more than professional teams. You can probably argue that it happened a long time ago (the transition to pro), but at least with them playing on-campus, I can pretend that I'm still watching the University's teams. Off-campus arenas/stadia will naturally cause some dissociation with the student body - see Georgetown basketball and Miami football.

This is pretty much how I feel about the games being on campus. Just being on campus gives it more of a special college feel to me. I went to a small school that played basketball off campus. Now that they've built an on campus arena since I graduated the atmosphere has improved tremendously

The inner harbor is 3 minutes from campus by car.

Maybe if you start the clock when you turn off of Stadium Place and get every light green. How long does it take to drive from campus to the inner harbor after a football game? If there are 40k fans, it can take an hour.

Btw, contrary to your opinion, most students at SU don't have a car.

That was literally the first result when I searched for "Syracuse football student section", so not that tough. ;)

Students stop going to SU football games because the team has generally been anywhere from wholly mediocre to awful for the past decade.

That was literally the first result when I searched for "Syracuse football student section", so not that tough. ;)

Students stop going to SU football games because the team has generally been anywhere from wholly mediocre to awful for the past decade.

Which is the same reason everyone else stops going.

Find a section in the Dome on any given Saturday (or Friday) that isn't flashing its silver bling. Even the $99 season ticket end zone sections aren't full.

I always enjoy watching the threads where everyone blames some other group.

Which is the same reason everyone else stops going.

Find a section in the Dome on any given Saturday (or Friday) that isn't flashing its silver bling. Even the $99 season ticket end zone sections aren't full.

I always enjoy watching the threads where everyone blames some other group.

Yep. If only the students/locals/alumni just showed up by the tens of thousands to support our pedestrian program all would be well! How dare they/them/us?!

Not if it's cantilevered! Just have the Dome slide out over Irving Ave on giant rails into the open air.
Oh, right .. lol. Why not just float the Dome on giant air nozzles? ;)

A new stadium would help draw better recruits which would translate to better teams. Better teams would increase ticket sales to the locals, alums and the students. A winning team will draw the students to the stadium no matter if it's on campus , at the fairgrounds or the inner harbor. If the state sees fit to throw SU some big bucks for a multi use stadium located in Minoa, Elbridge, the inner harbor or any where else, they should jump on it. It seems like inside city limits may not be Governor Cuomo's first choice though so I think the fairgrounds may still be in play.

What you are requesting makes no sense. Show me an example of a school that makes the student's desires the paramount topic of decision making, when the students don't actually attend events in said discussion.

St Johns is a commuter school. Is that an answer?

What you are requesting makes no sense. Show me an example of a school that makes the student's desires the paramount topic of decision making, when the students don't actually attend events in said discussion.
Everything the University does (as far as I know, any university) is or should be for the welfare and betterment of the students. That is why so many didn't like Cantor. Her focus was not on the students. To a lesser extent the perception of the MetLife games falls in this category. MetLife games were deemed more acceptable because they were catering to former students.

St. John's? Ever notice how the SU fan base dominated basketball games played at MSG? St. John's is an interesting reference you made. They play off campus most games and as I just said, we outnumber them at MSG. Is that a comment on their students, or the state of their program? Or is it a comment about our program, and the alumni base in the NYC area? If you are trying to make a point without spouting a poor opinion of the student population (current and former) as you suggest you are doing, you are doing a pretty poor job of it.

For the record, St. John's has housing.
http://www.stjohns.edu/student-life/queens-campus-life/residence-life/housing-selection

Maybe if you start the clock when you turn off of Stadium Place and get every light green. How long does it take to drive from campus to the inner harbor after a football game? If there are 40k fans, it can take an hour.

Btw, contrary to your opinion, most students at SU don't have a car.
Everything the University does (as far as I know, any university) is or should be for the welfare and betterment of the students. That is why so many didn't like Cantor. Her focus was not on the students. To a lesser extent the perception of the MetLife games falls in this category. MetLife games were deemed more acceptable because they were catering to former students.

St. John's? Ever notice how the SU fan base dominated basketball games played at MSG? St. John's is an interesting reference you made. They play off campus most games and as I just said, we outnumber them at MSG. Is that a comment on their students, or the state of their program? Or is it a comment about our program, and the alumni base in the NYC area? If you are trying to make a point without spouting a poor opinion of the student population (current and former) as you suggest you are doing, you are doing a pretty poor job of it.

http://www.stjohns.edu/student-life/queens-campus-life/residence-life/housing-selection
This thread has taken on a life of its own haha. People need to take a step back and relax. The original point i was making is that the students who may in the future attend some games shouldn't be the top of the board for decision making. I don't know how anyone could argue that, unless you are a student that actually has season tix for football.

Im aware they have housing, as well as being WELL aware that their student attendance is a joke.

It is The Syracuse University teams that we are supporting, not the Syracuse Chiefs. The locals who support the program will go where the team plays. They are life-long fans. They know their way around the campus' parking limitations. If you move it off campus, you will lose many of the student fans (who become rabid alumni, who contribute to future programs). Many of us alumni on this board LOVED the on-campus dome when we went there for events (and could not imagine the campus without it). I know locals sometimes think they are the only ones who really "support" the program. But there are a lot of alumni living all over the nation that "support" the team (by attending games in 'Cuse, and all over the nation, and through contributions to the program).

The number 1 choice (as well as number 2-100 choices) should be focused on options keeping the facility on University property. Yes they can move to a different area providing a bigger parking lot to pre-game, but it would never be close to the same collegiate feel. No students, and I mean no students, are going to shop at the mall before a game (who the heck shops before games anywhere in the country, aside from a merchandise store???). An off campus facility would be nothing but an inconvenience for the students.

That dome right next to the quad is perfect. Hopefully they can retrofit/add on to it. At worst, a move to Skytop.

Campus stadium or bust!

This thread has taken on a life of its own haha. People need to take a step back and relax. The original point i was making is that the students who may in the future attend some games shouldn't be the top of the board for decision making. I don't know how anyone could argue that, unless you are a student that actually has season tix for football.

Tell that to anyone walking by all the BMW, Lexus and Land Rover lots all over campus lol. A LARGE population on that campus is trust fund babies.

They can take the train like the team. It could actually be an eye opening experience for students that never step a foot off campus.

I don't agree with your argument, but its yours to make. Next time please be more careful with your rhetoric. You are painting an awful lot of people who post here with the same brush and it isn't a pretty color. Not only that but you risk your argument getting lost in the wash.

It seems like inside city limits may not be Governor Cuomo's first choice though so I think the fairgrounds may still be in play.
Maybe they hatch the inner harbor deal behind the scenes and then -in jimmy carter style - break the announcement the minute a new mayor is sworn in.

Want to leave? All this "hating" the students talk is garbage. The only point im making is they shouldn't be a priority because they haven't proven to be reliable for showing up to football games. End of story.

We don't just play football...not sure if you noticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom