michigan comes to its senses and takes retired legendary #s out of circulation | Syracusefan.com

michigan comes to its senses and takes retired legendary #s out of circulation

KaiserUEO

2022 and 2x ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
just as all you kids want want to put 44 BACK into the rotation. :crazy: :noidea:

Oh Lord

You should put yourself on an hour's probation for posting about Meeechigan.

who cares about michigan

You should put yourself on an hour's probation for posting about Meeechigan.
uniforms...traditions, football, etc...M.

just figured id throw a 44 discussion into a day filled with uniform fun.

Cuse will NEVER have anyone EVER worthy of wearing 44 again, so it should be retired.

save ourselves the embarrassment of giving it to someone shlitty.

but if it wasnt retired, was never given out but the thought of it being given out kept all the kids here warm and fuzzy into thinking they would get someone worthy of it...then well, whatever.

teams and schools should chant 1998 at us for not having anyone worthy of it since that year.

althought you could make the argument that they should chant 1966.

Cuse will NEVER have anyone EVER worthy of wearing 44 again, so it should be retired.

but if it wasnt retired, was never given out but the thought of it being given out kept all the kids here warm and fuzzy into thinking they would get someone worthy of it...then well, whatever.

teams and schools should chant 1998 at us for not having anyone worthy of it since that year.

they just broke tradition

our tradition was that lots of good players wore 44. some of us like that tradition. our little hollywood bozo knew better.

But it's the only # that looks cool on the new uniforms.

We can't win.

they just broke tradition

our tradition was that lots of good players wore 44. some of us like that tradition. our little hollywood bozo knew better.
ehh, 3 did.

i we are arguing over the definition of good...then add 1 more (konrad, and ill listen to debates on owens for 1 more)

ehh, 3 did.

i we are arguing over the definition of good...then add 1 more (konrad, and ill listen to debates on owens for 1 more)

Running into the end zone against WVU on the go for 2 wearing #44 does it there. Frankly that could've been the only play he ever made and still.

The whole freakin' tradition of #44 was that it was an active number.

That there was a lineage.

Who cares if Terry Richardson wasn't as good as Jim Brown? That wasn't the GD point.

Oh, and Michigan sucks.

Well that's a solution that should help Michigan recover from the last few years. If they had only done this before the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl last year. ;)

There's only one way to guarantee that no one great wears the number again - and that's by keeping it out of circulation.

Washington could be that good, IMO.

Who cares if Terry Richardson wasn't as good as Jim Brown? That wasn't the GD point.

Oh, and Michigan sucks.
then i totally missed the point.

and still dont get it.

i dont want the #44 disrepected.

apparently, you guys are ok with it.

if it was given to a proven Jr or Sr as a # switch reward...then fine.

otherwise, keep it in the rafters.

KaiserUEO said:
then i totally missed the point. and still dont get it. i dont want the #44 disrepected. apparently, you guys are ok with it. if it was given to a proven Jr or Sr as a # switch reward...then fine. otherwise, keep it in the rafters.

Giving it to someone else doesn't disrespect it. The tradition was meant for talented kids to wear it in honor of the past greats to wear it. By taking it out of circulation, it does the opposite. It becomes a dying "on the wall with cobwebs" type of tradition.

If Floyd and Brown want it worn, that's enough for me.

then i totally missed the point.

and still dont get it.

i dont want the #44 disrepected.

apparently, you guys are ok with it.

if it was given to a proven Jr or Sr as a # switch reward...then fine.

otherwise, keep it in the rafters.

Yeah, you missed the point. I'm confused as to how to deal with this admission of fallibility, but I'll get by somehow.

:)

Yeah, you missed the point. I'm confused as to how to deal with this admission of fallibility, but I'll get by somehow.

:)
my point is, the "Tradition of 44" is a pretty weak story.

from 1889-2005 a whopping 25 guys have worn it.

3 guys have worn it magnificently.

starting with the Legendary Jim Brown.

after him in 1954, 10 guys.

10 in 50 years.

2 'magnificently'.

keep it in the rafters so tv folk can talk about its significance.

there is no Tradition, the Legend is the story.

from 1889-2005 a whopping 25 guys have worn it.

3 guys have worn it magnificently.

starting with the Legendary Jim Brown.

after him in 1954, 10 guys.

10 in 50 years.

2 'magnificently'.

keep it in the rafters so tv folk can talk about its significance.

there is no Tradition, the Legend is the story.
i'm going to chalk up your posts here to sleep deprivation

3 guys wearing a number magnificently means something!

25 guys wore it for much more than 25 years.

if your criteria is magnificence, well of course, it's not that much of a tradition. what in the world is magnificent all the time?

i'm going to chalk up your posts here to sleep deprivation

3 guys wearing a number magnificently means something!

25 guys wore it for much more than 25 years.

if your criteria is magnificence, well of course, it's not that much of a tradition. what in the world is magnificent all the time?
25 guys spanning 42 years.

and if 3 wore it magnifcently, why do you guys want to tarnish that...instead of Champion that??

44 should be everywhere, seen everywhere, spoken about everywhere...just not on the field of the play gaining 1 yd for every 3 carries so we can all oohh and ahhh and spin the yarn.

or reward it to an upper classman...at all positions.

i think just the OL is disqualified, they can get fancy in getting a QB eligible for it.

25 guys spanning 42 years.

and if 3 wore it magnifcently, why do you guys want to tarnish that...instead of Champion that??

44 should be everywhere, seen everywhere, spoken about everywhere...just not on the field of the play gaining 1 yd for every 3 carries so we can all oohh and ahhh and spin the yarn.

or reward it to an upper classman...at all positions.

i think just the OL is disqualified, they can get fancy in getting a QB eligible for it.
i don't think very good players wearing 44 tarnishes those who were magnificent

we've had terrible players wearing orange jerseys once in a while, that doesn't tarnish players who were magnificent in orange jerseys.

Oh, and Michigan sucks.

THIS X 1000!

And yet that was exactly the story that made #44 an iconic number.

The phone exchanges on The Hill were changed to 443 while #44 was active. And every game I ever watched on TV in the '90s showed Richardson and Konrad, then talked about the legendary status of the number and the unique tradition of it being active, not retired.

The whole freakin' story is about Brown passing the number down to Davis, and then Davis passing it down to Little.

And yet that was exactly the story that made #44 an iconic number.

The phone exchanges on The Hill were changed to 443 while #44 was active. And every game I ever watched on TV in the '90s showed Richardson and Konrad, then talked about the legendary status of the number and the unique tradition of it being active, not retired.

The whole freakin' story is about Brown passing the number down to Davis, and then Davis passing it down to Little.
i get it.

i love it.

i use '44' in a whole bunch of things.

just dont see why it should be active.

44 is still talked about in every game.

being active is not what makes it all those things.

i use '44' in a whole bunch of things.

Oh, really? Tell us more...

atm_pin_number.jpg

KaiserUEO said:
i get it. i love it. i use '44' in a whole bunch of things. just dont see why it should be active. 44 is still talked about in every game. being active is not what makes it all those things.

I think the WAY it was retired bothers me more than anything else.

New AD in his first year with his train wreck choice for HC is brainstorming ideas on how to sell more tickets for his practically winless team playing their first ever game against the recently upgraded to 1A USF Bulls.

I've got it! Let's retire that 44 number I keep hearing about.

One week later the same AD shows up at South Bend with a USC bag.

We should unretire it if only for the manner it was originally retired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom