michigan comes to its senses and takes retired legendary #s out of circulation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

michigan comes to its senses and takes retired legendary #s out of circulation

Oh, really? Tell us more...

atm_pin_number.jpg
right down to the finger on the 4...

KaiserUEO said:
i get it. i love it. i use '44' in a whole bunch of things. just dont see why it should be active. 44 is still talked about in every game. being active is not what makes it all those things.

It's sometimes talked about. With it being worn it would be talked about every game.

25 guys spanning 42 years.

and if 3 wore it magnifcently, why do you guys want to tarnish that...instead of Champion that??

44 should be everywhere, seen everywhere, spoken about everywhere...just not on the field of the play gaining 1 yd for every 3 carries so we can all oohh and ahhh and spin the yarn.

or reward it to an upper classman...at all positions.

i think just the OL is disqualified, they can get fancy in getting a QB eligible for it.
There was a QB who wore it--Rich Panczyszyn, '67-'69. He was a terrific athlete. Not a good passer. When he tried to do it with his legs, his slight frame betrayed him. Might have been better off playing hoops on some of those mediocre teams of the late '60's.

uniforms...traditions, football, etc...M.

just figured id throw a 44 discussion into a day filled with uniform fun.

Cuse will NEVER have anyone EVER worthy of wearing 44 again, so it should be retired.

save ourselves the embarrassment of giving it to someone shlitty.

but if it wasnt retired, was never given out but the thought of it being given out kept all the kids here warm and fuzzy into thinking they would get someone worthy of it...then well, whatever.

teams and schools should chant 1998 at us for not having anyone worthy of it since that year.

althought you could make the argument that they should chant 1966.

I thought Walter Reyes was worthy.

Never expected that he would not play at the next level.

His junior year was as good as I have seen in the Dome.

I think the WAY it was retired bothers me more than anything else.

New AD in his first year with his train wreck choice for HC is brainstorming ideas on how to sell more tickets for his practically winless team playing their first ever game against the recently upgraded to 1A USF Bulls.

I've got it! Let's retire that 44 number I keep hearing about.

One week later the same AD shows up at South Bend with a USC bag.

We should unretire it if only for the manner it was originally retired.

It was decided in 1958 that the best way to honor Jim Brown would be to not retire the number.

But to bestow it upon the next great RB.

I like that tradition.

There was a QB who wore it--Rich Panczyszyn, '67-'69. He was a terrific athlete. Not a good passer. When he tried to do it with his legs, his slight frame betrayed him. Might have been better off playing hoops on some of those mediocre teams of the late '60's.

He was a true triple threat - a great athlete.

He got hurt I think in his first start as a sophomore during the opening game against Baylor.

And was never really the same.

But, at the time, I think he was worthy of the number.

but thats fine.

its still about college success, it doesnt mean that he has to be a sure shot pro.

if its done where 1 captain gets to wear it for the year, that would be cool too.

an OL 'captain' should recieve a '44' patch, like the C in the NFL.

if its going to be active, do it right. not like it was done before.

taking it out of circulation for a decade and then bringing it back this way, is/was the smart move.

but thats fine.

its still about college success, it doesnt mean that he has to be a sure shot pro.

if its done where 1 captain gets to wear it for the year, that would be cool too.

an OL 'captain' should recieve a '44' patch, like the C in the NFL.

if its going to be active, do it right. not like it was done before.

taking it out of circulation for a decade and then bringing it back this way, is/was the smart move.

We will agree to disagree.

I believe it was done the right way.

I was sure Walter would at least play a couple years at the next level also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom