Michigan offered Harbaugh $8M a year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Michigan offered Harbaugh $8M a year...

Mrs. Harbaugh wants to live in glitzy Cali not dreary old Meatchicken. South Beach might be OK.

Is he ahead of the game or just full of it. I could care less where the guy goes, but a fun story to follow

He's been way ahead of pretty much every large Michigan story. The Rodriguez hire, the Hoke hire, they were the ones that took down Brandon, and now this. He had the $48M number well before yesterday.

Take it or leave it.

CousCuse said:
Mrs. Harbaugh wants to live in glitzy Cali not dreary old Meatchicken. South Beach might be OK.

For $50M, it's not a hard sell. She can have houses wherever she wants. They'll see each other when they see each other. Football coaches work 18 hours a day anyway.

For $50M, it's not a hard sell. She can have houses wherever she wants. They'll see each other when they see each other. Football coaches work 18 hours a day anyway.

Agreed. It's one thing to say that she wants to do X or prefers Y when it's abstract. Quite a bit different when he's been made an offer for a known, exorbitant sum of money.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up there. They love their Michigan Men.

Is he ahead of the game or just full of it. I could care less where the guy goes, but a fun story to follow
mgoblog had a great meltdown over the worst play in football history. they really didn't like al borges

http://mgoblog.com/content/picture-pages-dumbest-play-history-football

it's kind of funny because borges refuses to throw the bubble when guys are left uncovered. opposite of us. meatheads just can't figure out that bubble screens are a dumb lingo way of saying if you're alone i'm throwing to you and then you run fast

SU2NASA said:
There's no doubt that the last two coaching hires were entirely bungled. This one is being handled differently and using the full resources at Michigan's disposal. My understanding is that this has been handled through the back channels going back weeks or even a few months once it became apparent that Hoke was going to be let go. Also, Les Miles was never offered, contrary to the media taking what they thought was a logical move and putting it together and reporting it. He's been considered a fallback plan (and the thought is still that if Michigan came calling he'd run there), but his past and some particular actions in Ann Arbor have been a hinderance. In this case, Michigan is desperate to get back to being Michigan so that fence wouldn't be a hurdle, however, I hear that Harbaugh is plans A, B, C, and D. I'm hearing, and I would agree, that this is close to a done deal and there's a game of politics that has to be played which is why there are strategic leaks such as the offer. And believe it or not, Stephen Ross cares more about the University of Michigan than the Dolphins. His checkbook is reflective of that.

Seems a little less calculated than that to me. I don't think it's ever been a secret that there's one Michigan man they want to have the job. So offer him more money (by $1M per year) than the next highest paid coach.

The only thing left was to get the internal approvals necessary to move forward.

Seems a little less calculated than that to me. I don't think it's ever been a secret that there's one Michigan man they want to have the job. So offer him more money (by $1M per year) than the next highest paid coach.

The only thing left was to get the internal approvals necessary to move forward.

Yeah, I figured the money would be Sabanesque, if they cant get him now then what else will. Who knows what some NFL team might throw at him. Good position for Harbaugh

Harbaugh's camp obviously leaked this offer. He gets the figure he would want from an NFL team established and he sends a message to SF he will control where he gets traded to if SF won't fire him.

Michigan can be printing money but the NFL can pay more even Oakland. The Raiders are rumored to be one of three teams looking at the LA market they can pay 8 million easily.

Harbaugh isn't going to Michigan unless the 49ers piss him off so much he takes the UM job with a favorable buyout after he turned UM around to go back to the NFL.

And believe it or not, Stephen Ross cares more about the University of Michigan than the Dolphins. His checkbook is reflective of that.

Not true. He paid for the Sun Life Stadium upgrades 100% out of pocket himself. And YES he has given Michigan millions of dollars and is giving most of his BILLIONS to Michigan when he dies, but he isn't dead! It's not like you can leave your BILLIONS to an NFL team someone else is owning. So, I wouldn't say he cares more about Michigan than the pro team he currently owns. In a perfect world Ross would want Harbaugh in Miami to run his NFL team and to get everyone off his back.

Harbuagh wants a Super Bowl, Michigan can give him all the money in the world and that still won't get him that. This is like the Tennessee - Gruden madness a couple years back all over again.

Michigan is being used by Harbaugh and Harbaugh is helping Michigan's perception for their next target.

If Harbaugh didn't have Michigan then the 49ers could leverage Harbaugh for more value in any trade. Instead of having to surrender 1st or 2nd round picks for Harbaugh the NFL team acquiring Harbaugh could give up a 3rd or conditional pick because Harbaugh always has UM/8 mill per yr to hang over SF which would get nothing from the guy if he went to UM.

harbaugh will be successful because he's a good coach but money doesn't buy success.

paying a coach that much money is just foolish and wasteful.

Michigan is being used by Harbaugh and Harbaugh is helping Michigan's perception for their next target.

If Harbaugh didn't have Michigan then the 49ers could leverage Harbaugh for more value in any trade. Instead of having to surrender 1st or 2nd round picks for Harbaugh the NFL team acquiring Harbaugh could give up a 3rd or conditional pick because Harbaugh always has UM/8 mill per yr to hang over SF which would get nothing from the guy if he went to UM.

I agree 100% with this take

harbaugh will be successful because he's a good coach but money doesn't buy success.

paying a coach that much money is just foolish and wasteful.

It shows how desperate Michigan is to get back to winning.

as opposed to what goes on up the hill shows how lackadaisical Syracuse is to get back to winning.

Michigan is a football school where football is meaningful from everyone starting with the president on down. Syracuse is a school that happens to have a football team that plays games a few Saturday's a year. That is the difference.

Was it always that way for us at Syracuse, no. Syracuse has a great football history and tradition. But that tradition and history of Syracuse is meaningless now because of the current mind-set of the people running the school in regards to football.

Michigan is a football school where football is meaningful from everyone starting with the president on down. Syracuse is a school that happens to have a football team that plays games a few Saturday's a year. That is the difference.

Was it always that way for us at Syracuse, no. Syracuse has a great football history and tradition. But that tradition and history of Syracuse is meaningless now because of the current mind-set of the people running the school in regards to football.

Game has also changed a bit..easier said than done. Sure they could do more but they simply aren't going to sell out to be relevant on the field

then leave the P5.

hey, $8mil is ridiculous, but theres no reason why we cant be in $2mill range with another 2 for assistants.

It's certainly ruining college football for those who don't have the big bucks to compete with the mega-schools.

Which, come to think of it, means it's pretty much ruining college football.

I think we're gonna see more teams dropping football, not just at the top level, but at the lower levels. Does it really make sense to keep football as a loss-leader at many of these schools?

It wouldn't be a bad thing to see the football factories go off and form their own mini-NFL. We would then compete for the ACC title with Boston College, Duke and Georgia Tech, etc.

Here are the winningest college football programs sicne the two-platoon era began in 1964:
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...=1964&end=2013&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

Drop out Boise State and BYU, who are basically successful mid-majors and add in Miami and LSU and I thin k you've got your 16 team "super conference". Let them make their own rules and compete with each other and we'll take on the rest.

Or how about forming a private school conference among: Baylor, Boston College, BYU, Duke, Miami, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Rice, SMU, Stanford, Syracuse, TCU, Tulane, Tulsa, USC, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest? They'd have similar problems but could compete with each other.

And because of taxes, the Raiders will have to pay ~$10M just to equal Michigan's offer.