Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

If we learned anything during Covid is we have to wean our dependence on China etc for necessary manufacturing products like chips, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment etc. We need to insure we are self sufficient in case of global crises.

Wish all you want but so many things require oil...your EVs need lots of oil to manufacture and support. Common copper wires insulated coatings uses oil. Plastics, it goes on and on
Yeah it can't be eliminated, but it can be reduced. Anything that needs lubrication still requires oil/oil based lubricants, but electric motors don't burn gas or need oil changes and there is less wear and tear on 1 speed transmissions. Right now EVs are just too expensive and the electric infrastructure isn't in place yet to support a primarily EV automobile fleet, but new battery chemistries and more efficient and cheaper motors will eventually help the costs of the cars. I suspect the electric infrastructure will take longer to catch up. With communities asking residents to cut back on electricity usage on really hot days now, we can't all be charging millions of cars on a regular basis without over taxing the system on certain days. It'll be interesting to see if anything ever comes from non-petroleum based fuels that companies like Porsche are working on. Right now those are crazy expensive too, but that's the way new technology always works.

Trying to think like some other metros like Dallas FT Worth are like 35 minutes apart

Syracuse Utica is like 50 minutes on thruway

Might be stretching it, I know

Edit - not sure why Binghamton and Elmira are separate Metro areas
Would be easier to build out Oneida Sylvan Verona. 30 min. All Lakeside. But who knows.

Wish all you want but so many things require oil...your EVs need lots of oil to manufacture and support. Common copper wires insulated coatings uses oil. Plastics, it goes on and on
If anyone ever wonders why the government is keeping ET clean propulsion tech under wraps, it's because of oil. Too many fat wallets would be threatened.

Edit: I'm not sure how clean/safe it really is, but it would really cut down on my travel times.

You want roads to drive electric cars on? Oil
You want steel? Coal
You want to help build healthy stable, economies in the third world? Natural gas
You want clean energy? Nuclear power
It's not like we will flip a switch and never need oil again. Of course there are plenty of uses but we would like to reduce dependency on oil ,coal and gas for the majority of our energy needs. I agree about nuclear... it's been overlooked. The Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) seem like a promising way to deal with the negative and risky attributes of the giant mega reactors.

If anyone ever wonders why the government is keeping ET clean propulsion tech under wraps, it's because of oil. Too many fat wallets would be threatened.

Edit: I'm not sure how clean/safe it really is, but it would really cut down on my travel times.
what is "ET clean propulsion "?

what is "ET clean propulsion "?
Sci-Fi Moon GIF by MANGOTEETH

It's not like we will flip a switch and never need oil again. Of course there are plenty of uses but we would like to reduce dependency on oil ,coal and gas for the majority of our energy needs. I agree about nuclear... it's been overlooked. The Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) seem like a promising way to deal with the negative and risky attributes of the giant mega reactors.
All true. And currently we have no effective, efficient means of storing renewable energy for “down” periods. In addition, our current grid does not support an electric system of what would be required. Too many people interested in putting the electric cart before the fossil fuel horse. And don’t get me started on petrochemicals.

All true. And currently we have no effective, efficient means of storing renewable energy for “down” periods. In addition, our current grid does not support an electric system of what would be required. Too many people interested in putting the electric cart before the fossil fuel horse. And don’t get me started on petrochemicals.
I'm interested to see what comes of the recent developments with nuclear fusion. I know it's not happening tomorrow, but things look promising for it to matter in my life time.

It will evolve. There are storage options. Use electricity (or sunlight) to generate Hydrogen and then turn Hydrogen to electricity with fuel cells. Use electricity or other processes to generate ammonia which then can be used to generate electricity as needed. Flywheels. Batteries. Of course, we need improvements in these to make them feasible.

I don't know that people are putting the cart before the horse. Things will need to be dealt with by you can't just say, "Let's wait until we have all the problems solved and then start thinking about it." The government creates incentives which gradually ease us into transformation making it feasible and profitable. Gotta start now if we are to be ready in 30 years when oil dependency for energy will cripple us in many ways.

It will evolve. There are storage options. Use electricity (or sunlight) to generate Hydrogen and then turn Hydrogen to electricity with fuel cells. Use electricity or other processes to generate ammonia which then can be used to generate electricity as needed. Flywheels. Batteries. Of course, we need improvements in these to make them feasible.

I don't know that people are putting the cart before the horse. Things will need to be dealt with by you can't just say, "Let's wait until we have all the problems solved and then start thinking about it." The government creates incentives which gradually ease us into transformation making it feasible and profitable. Gotta start now if we are to be ready in 30 years when oil dependency for energy will cripple us in many ways.
Okay. But government or no government, there has ALWAYS been a huge financial incentive for better energy storage. Everyone knew you could write your own check. It hasn’t really been solved. It’s the nut that hasn’t been cracked.

Okay. But government or no government, there has ALWAYS been a huge financial incentive for better energy storage. Everyone knew you could write your own check. It hasn’t really been solved. It’s the nut that hasn’t been cracked.
Most companies and shareholders look more at short-term than long-term. In the long-term, you are correct. There are huge financial incentives. Problem is, if I am the CEO, my bonus gets paid based on what happens this year and making expensive investments that pay off in 10 years ain't gonna help me with that. The government needs to invest with incentives (see how solar efficiency has improved party due to incentives that make it enconomically feasible) or laws ( see safety and pollution standards) to make it happen. I agree, that is a lot more work to be done to make it all feasible but again, we can't just wait around for someone to do it. Needs some carrots and some sticks.

Gang, please stay focused and limit talk on this thread to the Micron project.

The other stuff is good fodder for the Off Topic Board.

Thanks.
But . . . But . . . I was just going to post a 500 word poem on powering our grid with a mix of smiles and arsenic!

How does Micron fit into the new I-90 Corridor designation thing? Basically just kickstarting what is soon to be an all-in process for the region in this techology?

Micron is potentially the biggest driver. The whole I-87 to I-90 Corridor is primed to gain a lot.
We'll need to brainstorm some new term to coin. Erie Canal meets clean tech. Something to describe what is going to presumably transform the region over the next 15-20 years.